No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Windows Live (Hotmail) and O365 Contacts Co-Existing

• 3 Followers
  • 4 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Like many small businesses (I am on the Small Business plan), I have both a personal and a work email account.  All of my contacts are in the personal account, which is mikekelly@msn.com.  I use this from the web, from my Windows phone and (via a Rube Goldberg GMail syncing mechanism called gSyncIt) from my iPad (I first set up gSyncIt because I had an Android phone and it insisted on having contacts in GMail; gSyncIt actually works pretty well).

Windows Live is my master contact list since all these devices can see this, and updates go there whether made on the phone,  on the web, in Outlook connected to Hotmail or on my iPad.

Now I'd like to make those contacts available to my new O365 Exchange-based work email.  I don't want to IMPORT them, because that implies there are now two copies of every contact - one in the O365 Exchange service, one on Windows Live.  I want to have a single master so if I update it e.g. on my iPad, it shows up for O365 and for Hotmail.

The directions I've found here are all about how to bulk import contacts from Windows Live.  Some posts have shown how to bulk import IM addresses from WL Messenger into Lync to allow IM from Lync - gone unanswered is what happens when the person updates their WL Messenger contact which is now wrong in Lync (or vice versa). 

Since both of these services come from Microsoft, is there a supported way to keep the contacts in sync between O365 and Windows Live?

If not, I am planning on using this Rube Goldberg gSyncIt to do it.  But it's pretty ironic that the best way to get contacts in sync between a Microsoft service (Hotmail) and another Microsoft service (O365) is to sync them both through GMail!

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Michael,

Currently, there is no build-in tools both in Windows Live and Office365 to help people sharing  synchronize the contacts between these two.   If you have any questions or have additional information to add to your previous suggestion, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at <http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft%20Online%20Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>. However, I’d like share with you two walk-around solutions of this issue .

On the one hand, we can use an email client to be a center and sync contacts to these two email accounts.   For example: we use Outlook client to connect Exchange Online mailbox and Hotmail mailbox. By using this, you can find all the contacts of Hotmail mailbox, and also can use it for the email which sending from Office365 Exchange Online.

Tips:  The 3rd-party application is depend on your mobile device OS or your email client.  You also can find more solution at office365.pinpoint.microsoft.com/.../home  

Other the other hand, Office365 offer connected account service and we can use it to work on email service at Office365 only. Office365 Exchange Online will automatically receive all the emails from connected account and also can send email as connected account. Detail information about connected account at help.outlook.com/.../dd181953.aspx

Set Hotmail as connected account and work with Office365, you can take a look at the following steps:

1. We need to export and import all the contacts from Hotmail to Office365.
    2. Add Hotmail as a connected account in Office365 Exchange Online.
    3. Mobile device connect and work with Office365 Exchange Online .

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thanks for the info.  What I decided to do was use gSyncIt since I already have that installed.  I think either of your proposed solutions would have worked as well.  Because I get a lot of spam through my MSN account (I was part of the MSN Beta back in '95, so this email address has been around a LONG TIME and is on just about every spam list), I'd rather not connect my MSN account to my Exchange O365 server.  I kind of like keeping those separate.  GSyncIt actually works pretty well - when I set up a connection between it and my Exchange O365 account for Contacts and Calendar, it quickly populated all the O365 Exchange contacts and calendar items with the items from Windows Live.  Because it is a 2-way sync, any change I make in O365 Contacts or Calendar will get copied over to Windows Live and to GMail as well (they actually go through GMail).  I have it installed as an AddIn on my Outlook on my personal machine (which gets the MSN account) and my work laptop (which gets the O365 account).  

Thanks for your help.

Mike Kelly Mike Kelly Consulting LLC Sent from my Office 365 account
    • Not Ranked
All Replies
  • Hello Michael,

Currently, there is no build-in tools both in Windows Live and Office365 to help people sharing  synchronize the contacts between these two.   If you have any questions or have additional information to add to your previous suggestion, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at <http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft%20Online%20Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>. However, I’d like share with you two walk-around solutions of this issue .

On the one hand, we can use an email client to be a center and sync contacts to these two email accounts.   For example: we use Outlook client to connect Exchange Online mailbox and Hotmail mailbox. By using this, you can find all the contacts of Hotmail mailbox, and also can use it for the email which sending from Office365 Exchange Online.

Tips:  The 3rd-party application is depend on your mobile device OS or your email client.  You also can find more solution at office365.pinpoint.microsoft.com/.../home  

Other the other hand, Office365 offer connected account service and we can use it to work on email service at Office365 only. Office365 Exchange Online will automatically receive all the emails from connected account and also can send email as connected account. Detail information about connected account at help.outlook.com/.../dd181953.aspx

Set Hotmail as connected account and work with Office365, you can take a look at the following steps:

1. We need to export and import all the contacts from Hotmail to Office365.
    2. Add Hotmail as a connected account in Office365 Exchange Online.
    3. Mobile device connect and work with Office365 Exchange Online .

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hello Michael,

I just want to ensure that all the information is useful for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Thanks for the info.  What I decided to do was use gSyncIt since I already have that installed.  I think either of your proposed solutions would have worked as well.  Because I get a lot of spam through my MSN account (I was part of the MSN Beta back in '95, so this email address has been around a LONG TIME and is on just about every spam list), I'd rather not connect my MSN account to my Exchange O365 server.  I kind of like keeping those separate.  GSyncIt actually works pretty well - when I set up a connection between it and my Exchange O365 account for Contacts and Calendar, it quickly populated all the O365 Exchange contacts and calendar items with the items from Windows Live.  Because it is a 2-way sync, any change I make in O365 Contacts or Calendar will get copied over to Windows Live and to GMail as well (they actually go through GMail).  I have it installed as an AddIn on my Outlook on my personal machine (which gets the MSN account) and my work laptop (which gets the O365 account).  

Thanks for your help.

Mike Kelly Mike Kelly Consulting LLC Sent from my Office 365 account
    • Not Ranked
  • Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reply. If you have any question , please feel free to post them in the forum.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)