No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office 365 users can't send messages to MSN users, need solution!

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

when users are logged into the lync client, they can add an MSN user, and it will show in their contacts, and they can see presence. When they try to send a message to that contact, it fails, saying they are offline.

The contact on the other end sees the lync users, and can successfully send a message to them.

So basically, it works one way, when coming from MSN users, when they initiate the IM session.  It doesn't work the other direction.  Tried with multiple users, and removed/added contacts, etc..

All Replies
  • Hi Shannon,

If I recall right you must set Lync to allow IM with those outside of your business, that is done in Admin. I do know Lync works with MSN as I have done it many times.

• Yep.  did the a while back.  This worked for a while...not sure what's happening now.

• Hi ShannonM,

Thanks for posting here.

Public IM feature is currently disabled for small business plan users.
    Please refer to related information as follows.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2597392

Thanks,

Ida Qiu

• Hi ShannonM,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue

Thanks,

Ida Qiu

• To be honest, I think this is ridiculous.  When i signed up for Office365, I had this feature - after you all finally made your own Lync product work with it.  I find limiting this feature now pretty poor, as some pathetic way to differentiate service levels.  Definitely one more reason we are looking to move away from office365, as the benefits of the service remain limited, and yet the expense is significantly greater than other services we are considering.

• Hi ShannonM,

Thanks for posting here.

I fully understand the inconvenience the issue occurred.

Actually, Public IM feature is temporarily removed for small business plan users due to some technical issues.
    Based on the current situation, I sincerely invite you to submit your feedback about the feature we discussed here for the further improving. You can submit your feedback by using the following link:
    http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135

Moreover,Microsoft is researching this and will post more information about PIC availability in Office 365 for professionals and small businesses when the information becomes available in the forum. Please continue to pay attention on our office 365 forum.

Thanks,
    Ida Qiu