No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync Federation stopped working for one 3rd Party

This question is answered This question is answered

My Office 365 Lync client won't 'connect' to a federatded partner of mine (@bt.com).

It used to-  and I can federate to it from another Lync account I have. (I can also federate between that 'other account' and Office 365 Lync which shows that federation is possible and working.

I want to know why this has changed and what I can do to resolve it. I tried the virtual assistant but it is 'very poor' at suggesting technet articles that may help. Ahem...

Is this an issue with Microsoft's Office 365, platform, the third party's (@bt.com) or is it an issue with my settings and therefore something I can fix?

Any help/advice appreciated.

TJ

Verified Answer
  • Hi Tj,

Thank you for your reply and providing the detailed information.

I understand that you have an Office 365 account and a Lync server account. These two accounts can be federated properly. However, the Office 365 account cannot be federated with a third party Lync server account.

Before moving on, please contact the third party contact to make sure that your domain is shown in his/her Lync server’s federated domain list.

If the issue persists, you can refer to the following KB article to troubleshoot this issue:

Instant messages to federated Lync contacts fail
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392146

@Victoria Waner, thank you for your information.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

All Replies
  • Hi TJ,

To narrow down this issue, I would like to confirm the following information:

1. Is the third party contact using Lync Online, Lync 2010 Server or Windows Live Messenger?
    2. I noticed that you have two Office 365 accounts. Are these two accounts in two Office 365 tenants and using different domains?
    3. Is any error message received when trying to connect the third party contact? If so, capture a screenshot of the error for further research.

After obtain the information, I will do more research and post the results here on the forum.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Mindy

thanks for responding. Taking your questions in turn:

1: The 3rd party are using Lync 2010 Server.

2: I have one Office 365 account (and an alias). I also have a Lync account on a Lync 2010 Server that is run by an organisation I'm working for.

3: The problem manifests as a failure to establish presence from the formerly 'lynced' contacts. The following graphic shows the problematic federation and the successful federation:

• try Office 365 desktop setup, it may solve this problem.

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637594.aspx

• Hi Tj,

Thank you for your reply and providing the detailed information.

I understand that you have an Office 365 account and a Lync server account. These two accounts can be federated properly. However, the Office 365 account cannot be federated with a third party Lync server account.

Before moving on, please contact the third party contact to make sure that your domain is shown in his/her Lync server’s federated domain list.

If the issue persists, you can refer to the following KB article to troubleshoot this issue:

Instant messages to federated Lync contacts fail
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392146

@Victoria Waner, thank you for your information.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Hi Tj,

I would like to confirm if the issue has been resolved or not. If not, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Victoria, are you suggesting a reinstall of the Office Professional Plus software?

• Mindy

I have contacted the 3rd party as you suggest and await (patiently) a response.

When I have confirmed the correct setup (or otherwise) I will return to this post and update.

Thanks again

TJ

• Hi TJ,

Thank you for your reply.

When there is any update about this issue, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan