No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync Attendee does not show the default audio device and no sound

• 3 Followers
  • 11 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Situation:
Dell
Vista SP1 
RealTek Audio, updated to most recent drivers from Dell (Dated 1/15/2008
External Speakers

The Speakers work and sound comes out of them, test via control panel.

When Lync Attendee is opened to the Options page there is a notice that indicates that there is no audio device installed and that Phone calls cannot be made.

How can I get this to work?

• Post Points: 65
All Replies
  • Hi 911bob,

I understand that when trying to use Lync 2010 Attendee, the error message “there is no audio device installed” is shown. 

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest you uninstall the audio driver from the computer, restart the computer, reinstall the driver, and then check the Lync 2010 Attendee issue again.

If the issue persists, please also check if your audio device is shown in Personal. For the detailed information, refer to the artcile: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator-help/set-personal-options-in-lync-2010-attendee-HA102017919.aspx#_Toc273720832.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi 911bob,

How is everything going? We’d appreciate an update on the status of the issue.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I uninstalled the audio device and the installed Dell's latest update which was marked as "Urgent" it still has the same issues.

I thought I would get an e-mail notification of this but had not heard anything.. Do I have to constantly monitor the thread to keep up to date?

• Not Ranked
  • In Personal there are no Audio devices listed, just the Lync Attendee to be use for conference calls. I do not belive that any specific devices are listed on the Personal area, just in the Audio section.

In the audio portion, the RealTek audio device is not deisplyed.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi 911bob,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that after uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver, the original issue persists. This issue also can be caused if the Lync 2010 Attendee is not installed properly. Given this situation, please uninstall and reinstall Lync 2010 Attendee to troubleshoot this issue.

You can get an email notification from the Office 365 Forum. Please check it the email address is set properly. To do so, go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site, click Manage settings. In the open window, make sure the email address is correct, click Save. Meanwhile, click Subscribe to this forum thread in the Options section on the right side of the community side.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Did that and still not working.. what next?

• Not Ranked
  • some screen shots

• Not Ranked
  • 911bob,

Lync requires that you also have a microphone installed even if you do not use it.  On some systems the computer has the ability to detect if there is a microphone plugged into the computer.  If there is not one, and only speakers plugged in, then Lync will not "detect" the audio device.  You provided every screenshot I could possibly need to diagnose the issue other than the Recording tab on the Sound window.  Check that tab for a microphone being detected and working.  If you do not have a microphone, plug a par of headphones into the microphone port and that should work for the microphone.

Another option if you do have a microphone plugged in is to check other programs, such as Skype, running.  Sometimes other programs will interfer with Lync's ability to detect your audio device.

Charlie Gaither
    Microsoft Lync Online Support

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • 911bob,

I wanted to check if the above answer helped you solve your issue?

Charlie Gaither

• Not Ranked
  • I have a problem very similar to 911bob, but I am running Windows 7 4-bit. I have the same speakers, but no microphone. How can I make Lync play sound via the speakers?

• Not Ranked
  • OldGrouch,

For Lync to function with Audio it requires both speakers and microphone.  Without a microphone being detected it considers your audio device not install correctly.  If you require any further assistance please open a new Forum post and you will be assisted.

Charlie Gaither

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)