No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Lync 2010 Personal Certificate Problem on Login

• 6 Followers
  • 17 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Good Morning,

I have recently started a trial of Office 365, all is well apart from this issue with Lync 2010.

On any PC i have tried so far, I cannot sign in to Lync 2010 with the one default account.

Error Message:

"Cannot sign in to Lync

There was a problem acquiring a personal certificate required to sign in. If the problem continues, contact your support team."

I have downloaded and re-installed Lync 2010 and Office Desktop Apps Setup multiple times now, along with updating the Windows update for Lync 2010 when the Desktop Apps finished installing.

I removed the EndpointConfiguration.cache file before a few sign in attempts.

Followed this KB article advising to delete any certificates or crypto RSA key container i do no currently have. Last but not least i checked credential manager for any incorrect saved details, nothing to remove there.

Really at a loss with something that appeared so simple upon sign up.

Can anyone help ?

• Post Points: 140
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi HCS MAtt,

Please try the following steps:

1. In the upper-right area of Lync 2010, click the Gear icon to open the Options page.

2. In the Lync - Options dialog box, click Personal.

3. Next to the sign-in address, click Advanced.

4. Make sure that Manual Configuration is selected and that the configuration values are exactly as follows:

Internal server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

External server name or IP address: sipdir.online.lync.com:443

5. Try to sign in Lync.

Best,

Mada

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
  • Sorry, i should of said i saw that post and also tried the manual address before i posted this.

Thanks very much, i tried again out of hope but it didn't work again this morning trying those 2 methods.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello HCS Matt,

Do you mean that when you tried signing in Lync as one default account, you encountered the following error message?
     “Cannot sign in to Lync
    There was a problem acquiring a personal certificate required to sign in. If the problem continues, contact your support team.”

If so, please refer to the following steps to narrow down the root cause of the issue.
    1. Test whether the same issue occurs on other users’ accounts that are in the same Office 365 tenant.
    2. Test the issue at other network environments, such as home network.
    In addition, does “one default account” mean the origin administrator account of the Office 365 tenant, such as admin@domain.onmicrosoft.com?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • I have been provided as a login for the service so far (matt@domain.onmicrosoft.com), I have not set up any additional accounts as i do not require any at the moment until i get this login problem sorted with the first account. I signed up to Office 365, it assigned me the above email address to use as a login for everything, I have been using that one login for the trial of all the services well apart from the Lync so far. I have also tried installing it on 3 PCs, 1 in Germany and the 2 in the UK, all on different networks. Sharepoint site works with the login, as does Outlook locally and on the OWA anywhere, only Lync is having trouble and won't get past the error message below at login.

Error Message:

"Cannot sign in to Lync

There was a problem acquiring a personal certificate required to sign in. If the problem continues, contact your support team."

• Not Ranked
  • Will do Brent,

Thanks for the help. I have received the PM and have started it, I will let
    you guys know how it goes.

*edit* after running the clean-up and re-installing, sadly no progress.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi HCS Matt

I will wait for your response on the matter. if it doesn’t work let me know and i will ook further into it.

Thanks,
    Brent Coldewey

• Not Ranked
  • Sadly still the same error. Just tried to log in.

*Picture of the error* -

skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx

*off topic* I like the new SkyDrive App on the Desktop, would like a ‘right click - send to - view, veiw/edit, public' shortcut option from the desktop app to complete it for me, like the hold function on the WP7 that works very quickly to share or change permissions, Xobni does this well from Outlook for emails at least for now.

Thanks for the time and help. Any ideas on Lync ?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi HCS Matt,

Have you tried to set manual configuration since the reinstall of Lync? If you have not try that to see if you can sign. If you have tried that since the reinstall and it is still not working let me know. Im looking deeper into the issue for you.

Thanks,
    Brent Coldewey

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Matt,

Are you still seeing this problem?

If so, are you using a custom domain at all in your Office 365 environment (Like you're own .com etc)

Also, does Lync work inside Outlook Web Access or do you see an error about the Contact list not being available?

When I first set up my free trial it took about 48 hours for Lync to work....

Cheers,

Alan

Regards,

Alan Byrne

Cogmotive Reports

Office 365 Reports

• Top 150 Contributor
  • Hi HCS Matt,

It has been some time since you have replied. Has Lync started working for you or were you able to find additional assistance on the web? If you are still having issues with Lync i am here amd happy to assist you further.

Thanks
    Brent Coldewey

• Not Ranked
  • Hi HCS Matt,

It has been 48 hours since my last responce and i was wondering if you had found the resolution on the web or if it finally started working. i look forward to

Continuing to help you.

Thanks,
    Brent Coldewey

• Not Ranked
  • Hi HCS Matt,

It has been a few days since your last responce and i was wondering if everything is now working for you? If you need any further assistance i would be happy to continue to help.

Thanks,
    Brent Coldewey

• Not Ranked
  • Hi HCS Matt,

I hope you were able to find what you needed to resolve your issue. if you need any assistance please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thanks
    Brent Coldewey

• Not Ranked
  • Tried again to log in just now, all working now.

I haven't done anything since my last clean up attempt, on a laptop i didn't perform the cleanup, it logged in first attempt after so many previous failed attempts.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Wait

• Not Ranked
  • Hi HCS Matt,

I am glad to hear that everything is working. It was a pleasure helping you and have a great day.

Thanks
    Brent Coldewey

• Not Ranked
  • My company has federated our Active Directory with Office 365 and have intermittent and widespread occurrences of the "There was a problem acquiring a personal certificate required to sign in. If the problem continues, please contact your support team." error. We have had an open ticket with Microsoft Support for over two months with no resolution.

We have tried the troubleshooting steps covered in support.microsoft.com/.../2604176 as well as reinstalling the latest versions of Lync and the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant. I have supplied Microsoft with numerous network trace and MOSDAL (Microsoft Online Services Diagnostics and Logging) logs.

The only consistent workaround we have found is to have the user visit an Office 365 service (e.g. Outlook Web Application, SharePoint Online) and authenticate. Once the user accesses Office 365 through the web browser the error disappears and the user is able to sign on to Lync.

It appears to be a defect with the design and/or individual Microsoft products and services. Based on our overall experience with Office 365 we feel it is a beta product.

• Not Ranked
  • I have also found you cannot connect an Office 365 email account to an outlook client until it has signed in once on the OWA.

Providing an extra step to do before giving out details to users or making it a VERY clear point in documentation for the user to do first or support tickets get logged.

It seems good advice to log into the OWA as the user first before rolling out any of the software or attempting any logins i've found.

Overall Office365 seems to free up having an AD and exchange server on some client sites where you really don't need one.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1|2|