No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Multiple connections?

• 2 Followers
  • 6 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

So a company that I contract with is using Office365...I've installed everything.  I've got another company that I'm working with that also uses Lync.  Is there an easy way to switch between "Lync" based on the company I'm working with?

Example, when I get an invite from company #2 for a Lync meeting, i have to join via the web interface instead of the fat client....the fat client is linked with company #1.

Plus, I'm starting to use 365 for my own company.

ideas?  suggestions?

-SuperDale

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi SuperDale,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm the following information.

1. For the first company that you contract with, since this company is using Office 365, could you connect with them using Lync 2010 client successfully?

2. For the second company you work with, since you have to join their meeting via Lync Web interface, I want to know if the company is using Lync Online or Lync server to communicate with you?

If company two is using Lync Online, generally, this issue could be caused if they have not enabled External communications or domain federation correctly.

Please refer to the links below about it:

For Office 365 Small Business version:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh831846.aspx

For Office 365 Enterprise version:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416767.aspx

If they are using Lync Server 2010 On-Premises, please refer to the link below for Federating with Domains of Lync Server 2010 On-Premises Deployments:

community.office365.com/.../523.aspx

You could also check the video in the link below for Troubleshooting Domain Federation for Lync:

community.office365.com/.../video-troubleshooting-domain-federation-for-lync.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi SuperDale,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • 1) yes....as I stated in my question.

2) I don't want to use the Web interface (it has limitations compared to the client version)....They are using Lync Online.  So does that mean to use the Lync client software for different meetings I have to create a Frederated Trust?  That sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through to use this product....

• Not Ranked
  • Hi SuperDale,

Thanks for your reply.

If the second company is using Lync Online, this issue could be caused if they have not enabled External communications or Domain Federation correctly.

You may need to contact them and check if they have followed the steps in the links below:

If they are using Office 365 Enterprise version:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416767.aspx

If they are using Office 365 Small Business version:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh831846.aspx

The steps in the links are simple to perform.

Since you could communicate with company one using Lync Online, you do not need to perform any actions.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I don't know Anna....seems like a lot of work to do EACH time I want to have a Lync meeting with another company that might be using Lync... Don't know if MS thought this one through very well.... I'm not going to contact EVERY company that wants to open a Lync meeting with me and have to convience them to setup a federated trust.... that's unreasonable... other products out there that do the same thing without have to jump through so many hoops....even MS Messenger would be a better answer at this point.... very disappointing.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi SuperDale,

Thanks for your reply.

If you have some concern about this feature in Office 365, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at

<mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>

If the service is requested frequently, the product team may include it in the future releases.

Your useful ideas and feedback will help us improve our products and service. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)