No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Automatic configuration of Lync on Mac

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I am unable to login if I use automatic configuration in Lync. I have already setup the domain records for my custom domain. I was able to get it working when I use sipdir.online.lync.com:443 for the internal and external servers in the manual configuration. Is there a way to get automatic configuration to work?

Thanks 

All Replies
  • Hello ASHAH,

Is there any error message when you login to lync client with automatic configuration? When did you add the dns records for your domain?

Typically, it may take about 15 minutes and up to 72 hours for changes to take effect and propagate through the DNS system. To troubleshoot the problem, please run the "troubleshoot domain" wizard on the Domain properties page and post the result. So, we can understand the situation in more details.

For more information, please refer to:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/gg549199.aspx#bkmk_added

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi!

I've the exact same problem. I've configured the DNS records for our domain according to this article (support.microsoft.com/.../2566790). Did this for more than a week ago. With automatic configuration I'm not able to sign-in. When I try to sign-in, after a while I get an error message: "Sign in to Microsoft Lync failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the Internet. If I manual configure the client to use: sipdir.online.lync.com:443 it works perfectly.

I'm using Microsoft Lync for Mac Version 14.0.1 (111018) on Mac OS X Lion (10.7.3)

Thanks!

Regards,

Hans

• I added the records more than 4 days ago. Outlook automatic configuration is working fine. I get the same error message as Hasse above.

• Hello Ashah and Hans,

Can these dns records (SRV, CNAME) be queried with nslookup command from internet? To narrow down this problem, I suggest you to determine if these dns records exist with nslookup command referring to steps in article KB2515404.

If the issue persists and all these dns records can be queried with nslookup command, to help to troubleshoot this problem, please send me the name of your domain. So, I can check the status of the domain from our side. I have sent you a private message. You can send me the doamin name by replying that private message.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Jack,

Thanks! I've sent our domain name to you in a private message!

Regards,

Hans

• Hello Ashah and Hans,

I have received the domains you sent me, and noticed that the CNME dns records for Lync Online for both domains can be queried with nslookup command, but SRV records.

For this situation, I would like to provide you with two suggestions for your reference.

Suggestion 1
    ---------------
    If you want to find the root cause of this problem, please make sure all these SRV, CNAME dns records for Lync Online have been added on DNS server, and can be queried from internet first. And then try again.

Suggestion 2
    ---------------
    If you just want to access Lync Online service with Lync client 2011 from MAC client computer, I would suggest you configure the lync client manually refer to article Set up Lync for Mac 2011 for Office 365.

If you still have some concern about this, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at <http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135>, your feedback will be carefully handled and appreciated.

Additional Information
    ===============
    Automatic sign-in, domain federation, and other features do not work as expected in Lync Online when you use a custom domain in Office 365
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2566790/en-us

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi Jack!

I don't completely understand you. Were you able to query both CNAME and SRV DNS records for our domain or just the CNAME records?

Regards,

Hans

• Hello ASHAH and Hasse,

I wanted to provide an update to both of you. Jack has provided the below link above already, but I want to restress the concern. At this time, to obtain a successful configuration and sign-in with Lync for Mac you will need to use a manual configuration as indicated on the Set up Lync for Mac 2011 website. 

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/hh534384.aspx

I do not have a timeframe on when you will be able to use an automatic configuration option for the Mac client.

- Albert

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Albert,

Thanks for you answer! I´ve seen that article and as you say it explains how to setup the client to connect to Lync Online using manual configuration. However, it doesn't say that automatic configuration doesn't work. Of course we would like to use automatic configuration but now we know that it doesn't work and we're able to inform our mac users.

Regards,

Hans-Johan

• If you have tried to set up Office 365 in a Windows client, you will need to run Desktop Setup. That application will help your computer more efficient to use the function of Office 365.

But there is not  an app for Mac. So you need to manual configure the Lync for Mac.

• Hello Hasse,

Did you receive our update regarding your issue, and needing to configure Lync for Mac on the Apple personal computer to a manual configuration?

- Albert

• Hi Albert!

Yes, thanks! Now I at least know that there is nothing wrong on our side.

Regards,

Hans-Johan

• Hello Hasse,

You're welcome.

- Albert