Lync 2013 error ID 1002 (source ID 243)

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Just did the DNS setup to have Lync work. I'm able to contact users in house, but when I try to contact an outside Lync user, I get this message. We're on Office365. Not sure how to troubleshoot.

All Replies
  • Hi AKearney,

Have you enabled the external communication?

If not, please refer to the following steps to do it:

1. Login to Office 365 portal.

2. Go to the Lync Administration center from the dropdown menu on the menu bar.

3. Then choose Organization and then click external communication.

4. Either choose On except for blocked domains or On only for allowed domains.

5. Click save.

After that wait awhile to see whether it works.

To know more about it, you can refer to the link below:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/support/configure-external-communications-HA102817865.aspx

If the issue persists, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Jerry Cen

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Yes, I did thank you, and returning to it this morning, I think it is working! But now I'm getting this message:

We couldn't send this message because we couldn't find email@redacted.edu

The recipient is using Lync, with external communications turned on, not sure if this should continue in a different thread.

• Hi AKearney,

We appreciate the update. You don’t need to start a new thread, we can investigating the issue in this thread. I’m happy to help you.

To address the issue more effectively, could you provide the following information for me?
    1. Does the issue occur when you send IM to every external user or only when you send messages to the specific external user?
    2. Is redacted.edu the real custom domain for the external user?
    a. If yes, I have checked it from my side, there are no related Lync Online DNS records for it. I recommend you them in the domain hosting provider. Here is a link for your reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2566790
    b. If no, could you provide your domain and external user’s custom domain for me via the private message?

To request the domain name, I have sent a private message to you.
    To access the private message:
    -Go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    -Click Private messages.
    -Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

• Hi AKearney,

Do you have any updates on this issue? Please feel free to post back at your convenience.

Thanks,

Anna Shi

• The individual is the only external user I currently know of off the top of my head. So if there's another external Lync user I can try to connect to, I'd be happy to try.

Unfortunately I had to create a new login because we just had our servers federated and now my cloud account is trying to authenticate (separate issue) So I can't really check my private messages.

So, no, redacted.edu is not the domain.

• Hi AKearney,

I understand that you cannot check the private message with the previous account. In this situation, I have sent a private message with your current account. Could you provide your domain and external user’s custom domain for me via the private message?

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

• Thanks, Anna, I was able to respond to your PM.

• Hi AKearney,

Thanks for your update.

I have checked these two domains from my side, and I found that one of the SRV records are not correct for your custom domain. Here is a screenshot about the result for your reference:

I recommend you add the correct SRV records in your domain hosting provider. Here is a screenshot for your reference:

About the external user’s custom domain, I cannot find the above four DNS records for Office 365 Lync Online. Could you let me know what kind of the external account is, Office 365 account or Skype account? If it is also an Office 365 account, I recommend the external user add the above four DNS records for Lync Online in his domain hosting provider.

Best Regards,
    Anna Shi

• Hi AKearney,

Do you need further assistance on this issue? Please feel free to post back  at your convenience.

Thanks,

Anna Shi