No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

"Microsoft Lync 2010 has stopped working"

• 4 Followers
  • 14 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I had Lync working and logging in at start up for quite a while.  I  don't know why, but now whenever it tries to start up and login automatically it closes and an error message box opens "Microsoft Lync 2010 has stopped working".  If I click on the cancel log in button - it then closes imediately and I get the same error message.

I have rebooted, tried using repair in control panel, I have uninstalled and re-installed, I have tried running with antivrus turned off - none of these stop it doing the same thing.

Any suggestions what I can try?

Thanks

Simon

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi I actually managed to fix it.  I looked at the manual configuration - but didn't follow those settings (that didn't work).  I checked the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared|UcClient section in the registry (using Regedit) for the ID that wasn't working and for the Administrator ID that was working for the same Lync account on the same machine.  In the Adminstrator account I found that the ServerUsername data was the same as the ServerSipURi data, in the ID that wasn't working the ServerUsername was blank.  I changed the ServerUsername to be the same as on the working Administrator account (same as the ServerSipURi data) and tried restarting and it worked.

Thanks for your help - the tip to get into the registry led me to fix it.

Best regards

Simon

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hello Simon,

Does this problem happen to other users? Can you login to Lync client on another computer?

If the lync client works properly on another client computer, please try steps below to troubleshoot the problem.

1. Install the latest update of windows on your computer.

2. Uninstall and re-install lync client.

3. Re-run "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps" by clicking Download in MOP.

4. Refer steps in KB310353 to boot computer in clean boot state.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

5. Login to the Lync and check if the problem can be fixed.

If the problem persists, please post a screenshot of the error when the problem reoccur.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello Simon,

Any updates of the problem? Can the lync client work properly now? Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Jack

Ok still not working but here's an update.  I can log in via Lync on another machine.  I tried un installing Lync, re-installing, but when I tried to download the set up it failed and I still had the same error (all 3 elements failed) when trying to run Lync.

I was able to switch user though to an administrator ID and log in via Lync (with same ID) from there.  I'm not sure whether its an indication of the same problem - but I got a pop up to log back in to MS Dynamics CRM and the log in failed - but going to the web page I could log in?

It seems like its maybe some sort of permissions problem/ windows live connection problem?

Any suggestions?  I couldn't follow your instructions re the clean boot - as I am using Windows 7

Thanks

Simon

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Simon,

Thank you for your update.

Before further troubleshooting, I would like to confirm the following information with you first.

1. What is the error message you encountered when you try to download/re-run "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps"? Please post back a screenshot of the error. So, we can understand the problem in more details.

2. I noticed that you mentioned "I was able to switch user though to an administrator ID and log in via Lync (with same ID) from there".  Can you login to lync client with another user account on that problematic client computer?

Because you can login to Lync client properly on another computer, the issue might be caused by the settings or 3rd applications on that problematic client. To help to troubleshoot the problem, please try the steps below and check if the issue can be resolved.

1. Refer to steps in KB929135 to perform a clean boot on the problematic computer.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

2. Re-run "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps" from MOP.

3. Login to the Lync and check if the problem can be fixed.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Error message.docx

Hi

1) Please see attached screen shot.

2) I only have the one client account at the moment - so can't try that

I'll try the clean boot and give an update

Thanks for your help

Simon

• Not Ranked
  • I don't know why the screen shot I pasted into word doesn't seem to have come through - basically all three failed and it quotes error code 17031

• Not Ranked
  • Further update - I tried the clean boot and turning off services and start up programs.  Even with everything turned off (except for the Microsoft applications) I still got the error Lync has stopped working when it tried to login.

Some how Kaspersky seemed to still start up regardless - but tried puasing that and that didn't stop the error.

I didn't try turning off the Microsoft applications - was wary of making the system unusable.  Any other ideas to try?

Simon

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Simon,

Thank you for your time on the troubleshooting.

Per the previous post, we failed to run the "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps" on your computer, and the lync client stop again when we boot the computer in clean boot status.

To narrow down the problem, please try the following steps to collect the log for the process of "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps".

1. Re-run "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps" by clicking Download in MOP.

2. Once the error occurs or the application run completely, please press Ctrl + Shift + L to save the log. And then post back the log file.

Please collect the information above and get back to us. With the information, I will put through research and let you know what we need to do.

By the way, you can also update/configure your computer manually for Office 365. For detailed information about how to manually configure the client computer, please refer to the following article.

Manually update and configure desktops for Office 365
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637585.aspx

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi I actually managed to fix it.  I looked at the manual configuration - but didn't follow those settings (that didn't work).  I checked the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared|UcClient section in the registry (using Regedit) for the ID that wasn't working and for the Administrator ID that was working for the same Lync account on the same machine.  In the Adminstrator account I found that the ServerUsername data was the same as the ServerSipURi data, in the ID that wasn't working the ServerUsername was blank.  I changed the ServerUsername to be the same as on the working Administrator account (same as the ServerSipURi data) and tried restarting and it worked.

Thanks for your help - the tip to get into the registry led me to fix it.

Best regards

Simon

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Simon,

I am glad that things are going well now. Thank you for sharing the solution of this problem. I believe others will benefit from this information.

If you have any additional questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post a new question in the forum.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello!!

I have same problem with Simon L, but my case is little different.

In my case, I can sign-in Lync, but when I send a IM or other work open same error message.

I also have verified blank ServerUsername regestry.

Even if I changed the ServerUsername item, the problem persists.

The follow items are my event log in windows7 about Lync.

Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-30T01:12:15.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>4911</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>PC Name</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>communicator.exe</Data>

<Data>4.0.7577.4087</Data>

<Data>4f6e862f</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>00000000</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>9f012a60</Data>

<Data>e34</Data>

<Data>01cd3e011453f38c</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync\communicator.exe</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>7d7b41f0-a9f4-11e1-8b4a-001bb1152b95</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I already tried re-install lync and configure your Office desktop apps.

Therefore never say re-try these things.

Please, any advice.

Thanks.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Park,

Do you mean that Lync client stops working when you try to send a IM message to contacts?

To narrow down this problem, please follow steps in article below to boot client computer in clean boot state and check if the lync client can work well.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

If the issue persists, to make sure the issue can be fixed more effectively, please post a new thread in the forum including the detailed problem description of the issue.

Thank you.
    Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello. Jack

I tried troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7, but I don't know which process occur the problem.

Because when I tried to do your suggestion, the problem was occurred 30~40minutes later. it did not occur immediately.

Therefore, I have difficulty this checking. Is there another checking for resolving the problem?

• Not Ranked
  • have you checked event log on that client computer for more information?

CYan

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)