No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Email Aliases

This question is answered This question is answered

I am wondering if it is possible to create an alias which goes to a user, or group of users, and then when they respond it will show the alias as the reply address.

For Example, an email sent to sales@xyz.com goes to a specific user, johnsmith@xyz.com.  When he responds instead of the person seeing johnsmith@xyz.com is it possible for the response to come from sales@xyz.com?

Verified Answer
  • jspratley,

Right now the correct method for doing this is to create a distribution group within Exchange and then (using powershell) to assign "Send-As" permissions to that distribution group.

Users will then be able to receive and send mail, appearing as "From" that email address (rather than their default primary SMTP).

Instructions for granting the send-as: help.outlook.com/.../ff852815.aspx  (note: This command is executed through remote powershell - and I have done this for some E-plan customers but have not yet verified with a P-Plan customer)

I have been helping customers with the powershell for this mostly for sales and marketing "aliases" so I can confirm it works for Exchange Plan 1, and Enterprise Plan 1 and 3 customers.

I hope you find this information helpful.

-Neil

All Replies
  • I've seen conflicting responses to this -use a distribution group, configure it in the Outlook client -  but as far as I can tell it's not possible within O365. 
  • I don't know if it will work with distribution groups but try to activate the FROM field (is in options in exchange online). Perhaps you can select there the distributiongroup as sender. Let me know if this works out for you.

• jspratley,

Right now the correct method for doing this is to create a distribution group within Exchange and then (using powershell) to assign "Send-As" permissions to that distribution group.

Users will then be able to receive and send mail, appearing as "From" that email address (rather than their default primary SMTP).

Instructions for granting the send-as: help.outlook.com/.../ff852815.aspx  (note: This command is executed through remote powershell - and I have done this for some E-plan customers but have not yet verified with a P-Plan customer)

I have been helping customers with the powershell for this mostly for sales and marketing "aliases" so I can confirm it works for Exchange Plan 1, and Enterprise Plan 1 and 3 customers.

I hope you find this information helpful.

-Neil

• Neil,

That is helpful, but a bit beyond the reach of the average user. Since 365 is supposed to be about helping you avoid IT expense, it would be nice if the option was added to Exchange Online or OWA. 

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• On the Enterprise side, basic powershell skills are a reasonable requirement for IT.

For the P-Plan, I do agree that the steps are not end-user friendly, but I would rather have the ability with Powershell while either partners or Microsoft provide solutions to make it "work" than to have it turned off until Microsoft provides an ECP based GUI solution.

I would suggest you use the following URL as a place to leave a product feature request. That is what I have done.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft%20Online%20Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210

Note: If you have customers with the correct PSS agreement, they can also use their TAM to make a formal DCR.

-Neil

• Does this work for a user alias instead of a group?  Going thru the process of creating a group for each user alias seems like a huge hack.  i.e. the account is tjones@agricap.com but he has an alias tom.jones@agricap.com and I would like Tom to be able to reply from either of them depending on who it was sent to.  

• Hi David,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm if your requirement is that a user has his own email address and an email alias, he would like to reply from any of the two addresses in his Office 365 account.

If this is the case, it would not be possible to send messages from the email alias for this user.  I have tried to run PowerShell command to test the Send As permission for his email alias. Even though the command could run successfully, after the email sent out, the From field would still be the primary address instead of the alias.

It is true that you could set an proxy email address as alias in Office 365 and the user could receive emails from both his email address and the alias. However, it would not be possible to send messages from the proxy email address.

Here is the description from the Proxy Addresses article:

"When you add proxy addresses to a user's account, you are simply adding SMTP addresses to the existing mailbox. The proxy addresses you create are all associated with the primary e-mail address and any e-mail sent to the proxy addresses goes to the mailbox for the primary address. "

Therefore, it would not be possible to send from an alias tom.jones@agricap.com for this account tjones@agricap.com.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• NeilG above says it does work and you say it doesn't - which is correct?
  • mch, please see the response from Anna Guo Support Moderator.  The only way I have discovered to make this work is to delete the email alias (Proxy Address) from the users account and set up a Group in Exchange Manager, add the user to the group and then give the user "send as" permission on the group via powershell. Connect Windows PowerShell and Give user "send as" permission.  You also need to have the user go to Options -> See all options... click on the Settings tab on the left and check the "Always show From", click the save button in the lower right hand corner of the screen and then log out of OWA and close the browser.  Then when they log back in and create a new email they will have a From line with a drop down next to it.  They will be able to click on the drop down and choose the group they want to send the email from and this will actually look like it came from the user's alias.  This does work.  
  • David,

My question was directed at Anna. She said the power shell routine doesn't work. What you're suggesting makes more sense to me so I'll try it. But I still feel having to engage power shell is a bit over the top for an average user.  

• I misunderstood.  But I do agree that having to create a group and then invoke PowerShell to give Send As privileges is a hack that should not be necessary.  It would seem fairly reasonable that the Send As privilege would extend automagically to any email alias assigned to the user.  

• Anna - two items.

A) David is not the original poster.

B) Your answer implies that you can not do it without an extra license - which is incorrect. The CORRECT solution for "sending outbound using an alias" is to use a distribuiton group.

Everyone agrees that the Distribution Group solution is ... a less than elegant solution - but it works and is what we have been doing with Exchange server for a few years now.

Your answer Anna implies that the only solution is to purchase addtional licenses. That is something google would love to quote you on. Please delete your answer.

Thank you.

-Neil

• Hi Neil,

Thanks for reminding. I have modified my reply in a more proper way to express what I mean.

Hi Mch,

When I said that PowerShell does not work, I mean it does not work for email alias instead of group.

The PowerShell command for Send As Permission could work for users to send messages as a group, however, the command would not work for users to send messages as their email alias directly.

Hi David,

Just as you said, to achieve your requirement, you need to delete the alia for this user and create a new group to add this user then assign the send as permission for this user using PowerShell command.  I understand that the solution is not that satisfying, currently, this would work for what you want to accomplish.

If you still have some concern about this feature, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at 

<mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>

If the service is requested frequently, the product team may include it in the future releases.

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi David,

Just checking to see if you have any other questions. If you need additional assistance, feel free to let us know. We will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Yes, my question is answered.  The answer is to use groups, email aliases don't work.  Thank you for following up.