No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook profile cannot connect to server

• 2 Followers
  • 4 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Using both Outlook 2007 and 2010 I have manually configured the mail account to connect to Office 365 but continue to receive a pop-up dialog windown asking for login credentials.  Regardless of what I enter (username or complete email address) the profile setup does not verify the username.  Even after creating a new account and using autodiscover (changed DNS 4 hours ago) it still fails to verify the username.  To ensure the mailbox server name and proxy addresses are correct I've copied directly from OWA Help file.  What could be causing this?  The instructions for manually configuring Outlook were followed very carefully but I seem to be in an endless loop.

We are migrating from a hosted multitennant Exchange environment. 

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Dan,

First, please check if your configuration has met the software requirement of Office 365. You can refer KB 2402246 to check this.

Second, I suggest you recreate your profile from scratch and add Office 365 account by following the steps blow:

1). Close Outlook 2007/2010, click Start, choose Control Panel, click Mail, click Show Profiles

2). Click Add to add a new profile, cancel the following Add Account wizard, click ok to finish. Under When starting Microsoft outlook, use this profile, choose Always use this profile and choose the newly created profile in the dropdown list.

3). In the Downloads page of portal, run the Setup Office desktop apps.

4). Open Outlook 2007/2010, Add Account would pop up, choose E-mail Account and provide your Office 365 credential, autodiscover will help setup your account. Alternatively, you can refer the 3rd step in KB 2404385 to manually setup your account.

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Dan,

How the thing going? Has Outlook been able to connect?

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Lester,

Your suggestions were very helpful, thank you.  It was not clear to me that all computers needed to have the "Office Desktop Apps" application run prior to the install.  We have Office 2007/2010 installed locally on every computer and I mistakenly believed the Desktop App program was needed only for the Office Web Apps.  The program installed a couple Microsoft updates, which I believed helped.  

The key to our migration was not manually reconfiguring the server names in the mail profiles, but using autodiscover.  To do this, both in Outlook 2007 and 2010, you must open the mail profile (with Outlook closed), and choose Repair.  That queries DNS for the new server name and populates the server name on the General Tab, Proxy name on the Connection tab, and enters the Principal Name for SSL.

Two problems we had to work through:  During the repair, or alternatively upon Outlook being run after the repair, a Windows Security dialog window opens.  It had the old "servername\username" pre-filled.  This field must be changed to the users' complete email address (drop the servername\).  Outlook 2007 accepted the change very cleanly.  Outlook 2010 continued to throw up a Windows Security dialog window and seemed to not accept the username and password.  This was due to the Security | Logon Network Security that had not been updated (it was incorrectly set to NTLM – what we used with the previous server).  Once it was changed to Negotiate the username/password were accepted.  

In summary, repairing the existing Outlook profile updated Server and Proxy settings, but not the Logon Network Security with Outlook 2010.  By changing the existing mail profiles the migration to Office 365 is less burdensome on the users and my hopes are Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks will be synched from the OST instead of being lost in the IPAM migration (to be tested today).

Thanks, Dan

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Dan,

Thank you for sharing the experience about  Logon Network Security in Outlook 2010.

About you IMAP migration test, the migration process actually creates a new mailbox for the user, so the mailbox identity would be different. As a result, the OST file would be recreated and only the email items would be downloaded from Office 365 mailbox(IMAP migration would only migrate email items).

To migrate Calendar, Contacts and Task items, you could use PST file to export these items from old mailbox and import back to Office 365 mailbox.

To keep the thread logic simple and clear, we would focus on the single issue per thread. If you have issue with migration, it is recommended to open a new thread and we will be glad to help you in the new thread.

Thanks,

Lester Zhang

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)