No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Unable to use Add-MailboxPermission cmdlet - Mailbox not found

This question is answered This question is answered

We have an established ExchangeOnline account and are not having any mail delivery issues. However, I am not able to change mailbox permissions using PowerShell. I consistently get the error below when trying to add another user to a mailbox permission:

mailbox name wasn't found. Please make sure you've typed it correctly.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Add-MailboxPermission], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : EDDEEE96,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.AddMailboxPermission

Yes, I'm logging in with admin rights.

The mailbox can be looked up using the Get-RecipientPermission cmdlet so it's not like it's missing.

I seem to be connected to Exchange online when I run this command. Here's how I connect:

Launch PowerShell with admin rights and run the following commands -

$LiveCred = Get-Credential
$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell/ -Credential $LiveCred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $Session

I appear to download the command set, but then I run the Add-MailboxPermission and get the errors I opened the question with.

Verified Answer
  • I have found that we may have an issue with PS config on our Exchange Server where I was trying to apply these changes. I switched to another server and ran all the PowerShell commands without issue.

All Replies
  • Hi MM_mymatrixx,

Please make sure the mailbox address you typed is correct.
    In addition, I suggest you do the following steps:
    1. Right click Windows PowerShell.
    2. Click Run as Administrator.
    3. Connect Windows PowerShell to the Service.
    4. Try the Add-MailboxPermission command.

Thanks,
    Cherry Wang

• I am already doing everything that you suggest above but still not able to change Mailbox permissions.

• Hi MM_mymatrixx,

Please capture a screenshot about the issue.

In addition, I suggest you assign permissions to another mailbox to see whether this issue persists.

Thanks,

Cherry Wang

• This has happened with multiple accounts. Here's the text from the PowerShell prompt :

PS C:\Users\administrator.OFFICE>Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "User Name" -User login@mymatrixx.com -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All

User Name wasn't found. Please make sure you've typed it correctly.

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Add-MailboxPermission], ManagementObjectNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : EDDEEE96,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.AddMailboxPermission

PS C:\Users\administrator.OFFICE>

--I only changed Identity and user before posting.

• Hi MM_mymatrixx,

Based on the error message, please make sure the username is correct. If there is space included in the username, use "" to include the username. Also, you can use the email address directly.

Thanks,

Cherry Wang

• Hi MM_mymatrixx,

How are things going? Do you need further assistance with the issue?

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

• I have found that we may have an issue with PS config on our Exchange Server where I was trying to apply these changes. I switched to another server and ran all the PowerShell commands without issue.