Lost emails when moving messages from inbox to folders - Outlook 2011/Exchange online

• 3 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi all,

my name is Giordano and I'm using Outlook 2011 for Mac to access my Exchange online mailbox of our corporate account.

I experienced a loss of messages when moving them from the inbox to folders.

here follow a step-by-step description of what happened:

1. open the inbox folder and search for "xyz", obtaining 24 messages
  2. select all, drag and drop to the folder "Projext xyz". the folder "Project xyz" initially had 3 messages
  3. looking at the inbox, I see the messages disappearing progressively. the process stops when 10 messages are left
  4. Select the folder "Project xyz" and see that it now contains 17 messages
  5. Select inbox again and search for "xyz", obtaining 10 messages
  6. Select the folder "Project xyz" and see that it now contains 3 messages! (the ones initially in the folder)
  7. Select inbox again and search for "xyz", obtaining 10 messages. 14 messages disappeared.

no error messages. no synch problems notified.

I checked the mailbox in the browser on www.outlook.com/www.mycompany.com but it is coherent with the client (10 messages in the inbox, 3 in the folder).

I also emptied the local cache of the folder and of the inbox, resynch-ing with the server, but the result is the same.

it seems that somewhere in the process the client and the server were misaligned, and the messages were removed on both sides.

Any explanation is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance

regards

giordano 

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Giordano,

In this situation, please check if you moved the emails to another folder or if they are in Junk folder.

If the emails can't be found, please check if the emails are in deleted folder. You can follow the steps below to check it:

Sign in to Office 365 -> Click "Outlook" -> Right-click "Deleted Items" -> Click "Recover Deleted Items"

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Aaron,

thank you for your answer. it seems it solved (partially) the problem.

I found some messages matching the "xyz" search criteria as "permanently deleted", and those messages were not intended to be deleted. And I am pretty sure (can't be absolutely sure, obviously) I did not delete them. I am not able to say they are exactly the messages I moved, but likely they are.

So, first of all: thank you, I have a way to recover files when they disappear.

Now a new question: WHY sometimes messages disappear when I move them from the inbox to a folder?

it already happened in the past, after we moved to Office365. This time I am sure they disappeared (I have a screencast to prove :))

regards

giordano

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Giordano,

I'm glad to hear the previous issue has been resolved.

For the new question, I'd like to suggest you check if you can search the disappeared emails in all mailbox using Outlook desktop client. If no, please post a new thread in our forum with more detailed information, such as your screencast. By doing that, one of our engineers will provide you with more efficient support.

Thanks,

Allen Zhang

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hello

I am having the same issue; Office 365 Small Business Premium used on Outlook 2011 for Mac and having searched the mailbox for the missing emails (I tried this prior to researching the issue); I checked OWA and found the emails in the recover deleted items folder as suggested above. Is there a new thread? Can you help?

Regards

James

• Not Ranked
  • Hello

I am having the same issue; Office 365 Small Business Premium used on Outlook 2011 for Mac and having searched the mailbox for the missing emails (I tried this prior to researching the issue); I checked OWA and found the emails in the recover deleted items folder as suggested above. Is there a new thread? Can you help?

Regards

James

• Not Ranked
  • This issue seems to be resolved with the latest update of Outlook 2011 for mac. the issue was never mentioned in release notes, but now I can move files to different folders without loosing messages. at least apparently. the issue is subtle since you get no error on the client. do you have the latest updates?

regards

giordano

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Giordano

The outlook client is fully updated along with OSx also. Have opened a case with MS so will post the fix here if/when I t gets sorted. Any hints/tips in the meantime are welcomed however!

Regards

James

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)