No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office 365 Outlook Online / Can send emails but do not receive emails.

This question is answered This question is answered

I created an Office 365 Hosted Email Account yesterday to give it a try before implementing it in our organization.

I am using Outlook Online with my own domain name.

Changing from info@mydomain.onmicrosoft.com to info@mydomain.com via the DNS settings seemed to work fine.

I got the message from the system that the authorization via submitting the TXT info in the DNS section of my domain provider was successful.

Now I am facing the following situation.

Sending emails from Outlook Online is not causing any problems (in the beginning it did though - emails sent from Outlook Online was received by certain email accounts I sent a test email but not from others - I assumed this has to do with the settings needing some time to be properly in place - something like 72 hours?).

The issues that persists though is that all emails sent to info@mydomain.com are not received in Outlook Online.

What can I do about this?

Verified Answer
  • Hi Tom,

I am glad to hear that you have configured. Yeah back up should be safest choice before any configuration changes into the system.

Best Regards,

Pratik Pandya

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi Tom,

DNS records will take 72 hours to propagate form the DNS system to be in effected.

So I would like to suggest waiting for 72 hours and checking it again. For more information see,

Verify a domain at any domain name registrar.

Thanks,

Pratik Pandya

• Dear Pratik,

tks for your quick feedback.

I know how to add the TXT record in my hosting provider which is name.com

The TXT verification  records were already added yesterday as per the instructions given.

Status in MS Online Services for the Domain I added to use for my email instead of info@mydomain.onmicrosoft.com is:

Setup in progress

Step 1 which is: Specify a domain name and confirm ownership

is checked so this one is solved.

I realized that I have to add the email settings in the DNS settings as a next step - I forgot abou that yesterday.

I tried this but  when I enter the MX records or the CNAME records, I get the error message "Bad Request" from name.com where I have my domain hosted - so how can I proceed now?

Tks,

Tom

• Hi Tom,

Usually, when after the created DNS records at your domain registrar can be propagated through the DNS system successfully within the time I suggested, Microsoft will only be able to verify you are the ownership of the domain, and then only make the domain verified. If you have question when creating the required DNS records, please contact your domain DNS hosting provider to help you add the records.

The valid MX record should resemble the following: msxxxxxxxx.msv1.invalid
    Note: if the value of MX record cannot be recognized, please use msxxxxxxxx.msv1.invalid.outlook.com to instead of the previous one and try it again.
    For example: ms50667204.msv1.invalid or ms50667204.msv1.invalid.outlook.com

To verify a custom domain, you may also create a TXT record at your domain registrar with the following format: MS=msxxxxxxxx

Thanks,

Pratik Pandya

• Pratik, tks, I contacted name.com, they set it up and it is working now.

That was step 1 - now I am considerin synching Outlook Online and Outlook on my computer.. but guess I better back up first... ;-)

• Hi Tom,

I am glad to hear that you have configured. Yeah back up should be safest choice before any configuration changes into the system.

Best Regards,

Pratik Pandya

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.