No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

This account can't be used to access Outlook.com

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have an issue with the following:

I have outlook live (for friends and family) and there I have added an extra domain. Now created accounts for my brother and his family. 3 accounts went fine (one of them reported that there was a live ID like that already but merging was possible). All 3 accounts are able to log onto the mailbox using OWA via outlook.com/domain.com url. Now my brother's account also asked to be merged and I did so when creating a mailbox but he is not able to get it, the error is the this:

This account can't be used to access Outlook.com
You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com. Please click here to sign out of your Office 365 account, then use another Microsoft account to sign in to Outlook.com (for example, your hotmail.com, live.com, or msn.com account).

My brother has been using this live ID for a while now with no mailbox attached to it, He does have xbox live and windows phone. I never used this domain with Office365 tenant...

Can someone from MSFT help me here?

thanx in advance

All Replies
  • Hi Leiby,

I’d like to confirm if your brother signed in his Office 365 account and live account in the same browser. If so, we recommend that he signs into his live account in another browser to see if it works.
    Actually, it is a known issue that Office 365 and Outlook.com Preview users can run into when they try to log into their Office 365 mailbox via OWA (Outlook Web App) and their personal mailbox on the new Outlook.com Preview, using the same browser.

You can take a look at the wiki below for more information:

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to correct me here.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • Ella,

My brother does not have an office365 account at all. We did find the link you are mentioning, and tried different browsers. Nothing helps! When I do login with the live ID on the skydrive and navigate to the tiles on top, where you can go to Mail, People, Calendar the Mail tile shows 2 messages, but if I click the tile I get the error mentioned in my first post. To explain further: the domain in question is kandyba.us. this domain was hosted on my lab environment. Now I also have the Outlook live with primary domain kandyba.info. I have added the kandyba.us as an accepted domain. I have not switched the MX records as of yet, because I want to make sure the mailboxes in outlook live work. 3 of them do work fine, but one which belongs to my brother does not. And the reason I believe is because he has used his kandyba.us address as a live ID (Phone, Skydrive, XBOX live, etc.) I am not aware if he also has used the live id to test drive the office365 home. My brother says hi never did. The domain is in my full control.

• Ella,

for clarification the Outlook live that I have is the one for Friends and Family of Microsoft Employees.

And the live ID is also connected to Facebook

• Hi Leiby,

Actually, using Microsoft Online ID and Live ID will sometimes cause this sort of behavior.
    We have invited many engineers from Outlook.com team to look into this issue. If you would like to see the latest information of this issue, please refer to this thread:
    We will keep on monitoring the thread. Once having any documentation for guidance on this issue from our Outlook.com team, we will give updates on that.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • Ella, any update on this?

• Hi Leiby,

Currently, we still haven’t received any notifications about this issue. We recommend you keep monitoring this thread. You can click the subscribe to this wiki page button in the right of the page. Once there’s any update, you will receive an email about that.

Regards,
    Ella Huang
  • Hi there, I'm having exactly the same problem.

I tried to log in to my hotmail.co.uk account today (which was fine 3 weeks ago), but was redirected to the new outlook website. The error message I receive is: "There's a problem with signing you in. If you continue to have this problem, please report it to Microsoft." If I click on SkyDrive or People, then the number of messages in my inbox shows as 832 (which would be correct), but then when I click back on the Mail tab, the error message is repeated.

Is there any resolution of this issue yet?

I do not have a 365 account, and have had this hotmail account for over 7 years.

Thanks,

Claire.

• Hi Claire,

Thanks for your post. I understand your Hotmail account has been upgraded to Outlook.com. Here’s an article for your reference:

Additionally, to have the issue resolved more efficiently, we recommend you post a thread at our Outlook.com forum. Supports there are professional to handle this kind of issues. You can find more information from them.

Regards,
    Ella Huang