Change Local Email Storage Folder -- Outlook 2013

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Is it possible to change where Outlook 2013 downloads the email for offline viewing? Currently, I have Office 365 and it didn't let me choose an install directory, so my email is being saved on my SSD. Since I have less than 30 GBs free on my SSD, this is less than ideal for me.

Thanks,

Cody

All Replies
  • Hi Cody,

If you use Outlook cache model, the Outlook uses .OST file to store the mailbox items. Its default location is: C:\Users\Username\ AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. You can refer to the following article to change its location.

How To Change Default Data File (.OST) Location in Office 2013

Thanks,
    Kevin Cui

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Cody,

How are things going?

In addition, do you need further assistance with this issue?

Thanks,
    Kevin Cui

• Thanks Kevin.

I'm not sure this is a viable solution for the less technical, but it is what I needed.

• Hi Cody,

It's our honor to help you. If you have any more questions about Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post a new thread in our forum.

Thanks,
    Bourne Zhang

• So, I just realized, the above solution doesn't work. I apologize for missing that. The only thing it moved was the EasCache folder which has a file with what looks like a random file name.

I've found some other items that tell me to go to the advanced settings option of the data files, but there is not advanced settings options.

Any other suggestions?

• Hi Cody,

To find the advanced option, please refer to the picture in "part 10 Cleanup "in the following article given by Kevin.

Thanks,
    Vivian Wang 

• Hi Vivian,

Every time I do that, I get the following error:

"Your Outlook data file cannot be configured. [Path to my OST on my C: drive]"

I've tried accessing it with outlook open and closed. I've also tried accessing it on my created profile and the original profile.

My account is the administrator account, but I've noticed sometimes I have to specifically say "Run As Administrator" for certain items to work right; unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to do that with the Mail option. BTW, I should add that when I search for Mail (like the tutorial says), I only have Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2013) (32-bit). I suspect it is the same, but figured I should note it.

• Hi Cody,

I have referred to the steps in the article Kevin provided and I made it successfully.
    Please capture a screenshot of the error message when you failed to change the location for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,
    Vivian Wang

• Hi Cody,

How are things going? Do you have any updates about the issue?

Thanks,
    Johnny Zhang

• Capture.PNG

Sorry, I did not realize anyone replied. After I recreated a new profile, I got this menu, but there was no larger menu and no advanced options.

The blue is just me removing personal information.

• Hi Cody,

In order to solve this problem as soon as possible, I suggest you contact Office 2013 support for assistance.

You can post a thread in the Office 2013 forum via http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/officeitpropreview/threads

Thanks,

Jason Jiang

• I tried the solution provided because I have only 15gb free space on my surface pro 64gig. I have the same problem , as ctank02 : "Your Outlook data file cannot be configured. [Path to my OST on my C: drive]"

Please help,

thank you

• Hi imarc76,

You can refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2752583 to copy the existing .ost file to the new location that you want to use. As far as I know, it should be workable. If the issue persists, we have a group dedicated to dealing with the Outlook issues, I recommend you post the question to the Microsoft Office forum. This will help us solve the question more quickly.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/threads

Thanks,
    Johnny Zhang

• ost file is the very useful data on off-line, when you are doing work on off-line with Outlook now with the helps of ost file to restore data in pst file.

OST files location c:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Know more how to Fix inaccessible OST file : SysTools OST Recovery Tool

• Is it possible...  The Outlook.ost file is to store the mailbox items. Its default location is: C:\Users\Username\ AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. When you are doing work on Off-line with Microsoft Outlook now Try OST to PST Conversion solution 100% work to resolve your all corruption issues to Fix Outlook.ost file data in Outlook.pst file format.

you can refer to change its location: http://www.osttopst-software.com