No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

We have just done DNS changes and are getting the emails returned with "530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated"

What authentication can be change on the Office 365 portal?

All Replies
  • Hi Tapcast,

According to the description, I understand that you encountered the error message "530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated" when you use Office 365 after changing DNS records.

To help resolve this issue, could you provide the following information for us to troublehsoot?

1.Did you encounter this error message in Outlook client or in OWA?
    2.What did you do when you encountered this error message? Send emails or receive emails?
    3.How many users in your company encountered this error message? Some users or all the users?

Additionally, if the users received the error message in Outlook client, please check if the emails server settings you used to connect Outlook client to Office 365 are correct.

please refer to the steps below to get the emails setting of the Office 365 account:
    1).Logon to Office 365 portal
    2).Click on Outlook at the top of the Admin page. This will open your Outlook mailbox through Outlook Web App.
    3).Click Options from the right up corner and click See All Options.
    4).From the Options menu, open Manage Myself.
    5).Click Account -> My Account
    7). Click Settings for POP,IMAP, and SMTP Access by referring to the picture below:

8). Check the setting for the account.

About connecting Outlook client to Office 365, please refer to the link below:

Connect Outlook to This Account:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-US/140/Dd251217.aspx

Thanks,
    Linda Wang

• Hi Linda - responses below:-

A fuller error message is:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxx.yyy@domainname.com

SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<steve.neal@myemail.co.uk> SIZE=23476:

host pod51014.outlook.com [157.56.248.166]: 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated

Background (I have changed my customers domain name to be “domainname”):-

Started migration of Friday. Changed DNS on “current” domain host to include pointers to the Office 365 account:-

domainname.com                 MX           ms86209748.msv1.invalid.outlook.com

domainname.com                 MX           pod51014.outlook.com.

smtp.domainname.com        CNAME   pod51014.outlook.com.

mail.domainname.com         CNAME   pod51014.outlook.com.

This will remain as the main DNS control.

DNS records for Microsoft Office 365
    These are the DNS records for your Microsoft Office 365 services.

Type

Priority

Host name

Points to address

TTL

MX

@

domainname-com.mail.eo.outlook.com

1 Hour

CNAME

-

Autodiscover

autodiscover.outlook.com

1 Hour

CNAME

-

sip.domainname.com

sipdir.online.lync.com

1 Hour

CNAME

-

lyncdiscover. domainname.com

webdir.online.lync.com

1 Hour

Type

TXT Name

TXT Value

TTL

TXT

@

v=spf1 include:outlook.com ~all

1 Hour

Type

Service

Protocol

Port

Weight

Priority

Target

Name

TTL

SRV

_sip

_tls

sipdir.online.lync.com

domainname.com

1 Hour

SRV

_sipfederationtls

_tcp

sipfed.online.lync.com

domainname.com

1 Hour

Answering your questions:

Email sent from independent outlook client
    Encounter this error message when sending email from independent Outlook to Office 365 mailbox
    We are in the process of migration at the moment. DNS changes on Friday at 15:00 (about 40 hours ago). Fails on all 3 users.
    We are not using the Outlook client to Office 365 connect during this Phase of testing/implementation.

The setting for the account are:
    POP setting

Server name: pod51014.outlook.com
    Port: 995
    Encryption method: SSL

IMAP setting

Port: 993
    Encryption method: SSL

SMTP setting

Port: 587

We will setup the Outlook client to Outlook 365 when we have resolved this error message & when emails are going in/out of the office 365 email mailboxes.

• Hi Tapcast,

Thanks for your update.

From the information you provide, I found that there are three MX records. Currently, you want to use the domain in Office 365 for Exchange Online service, so I suggest you delete the records from the domain register page that are used for other software to see if the issue persists. After you delete the records, please wait for 24h and check the result.

Thanks,
    Linda Wang

• Hi Tapcast,

Just checking in to see if you have any other related questions.

If so, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Linda Wang