Converting shared mailbox to user mailbox without data loss

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I have a shared mailbox which i have also assign an exchange license to it.

I would like to convert this shared mailbox to a normal user mailbox WITHOUT any dataloss.

Is this possible with powershell?

It is also weird that microsoft does not allow shared mailbox (even with a license) be added as an account to outlook 2010.

Thank you.

Verified Answer
  • I have found the answer on the net

Set-Mailbox "mailbox display name" -Type:Regular

3 out of 3 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Ian,

I am glad to hear you have found the answer.

Yes, we can use the command “Set-Mailbox "mailbox display name" -Type:Regular” to convert a shared mailbox to user mailbox.

After converting it, you need to assign a license for it. For the information about Assigning a License to New Mailboxes in Office 365, you may refer to the below article:

help.outlook.com/.../ms.exch.ecp.newmailboxlicensingenforced.aspx

In addition, you may find more commands options on setting mailbox:

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb123981.aspx  

Thanks,

Monica Tong

2 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • I know that shared mailbox does not need a license which is a benefit.

However, what will be the purpose of having a shared mailbox when a license has been assigned to it?

A user mailbox which is set to use full access and send as permission for other user can perform exactly the same task as a shared mailbox and it can be added as an account in outlook

• I have found the answer on the net

Set-Mailbox "mailbox display name" -Type:Regular

3 out of 3 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Ian,

I am glad to hear you have found the answer.

Yes, we can use the command “Set-Mailbox "mailbox display name" -Type:Regular” to convert a shared mailbox to user mailbox.

After converting it, you need to assign a license for it. For the information about Assigning a License to New Mailboxes in Office 365, you may refer to the below article:

help.outlook.com/.../ms.exch.ecp.newmailboxlicensingenforced.aspx

In addition, you may find more commands options on setting mailbox:

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb123981.aspx  

Thanks,

Monica Tong

• Hi everybody. My problem instead is the opposite.

I have got a user's mailbox which I want to convert into a shared mailbox.

Therefore, what is the right procedure to make a user mailbox into a shared mailbox without data loss? 

Thank you.

• Same as Marc_062011 here, need to convert a normal mailbox to a shared mailbox. To add to the potential complexity though, the account for the normal malbox is Federated... I will likely attempt this next week, but any guidance beforehand would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

• I think you can just change it to -type:shared

• I'am also trying to convert a normal mailbox to a shared mailbox.

In PS I have executed:

"Set-Mailbox "Shared Mailbox" -Type:shared”

But I keep getting warnings messages in the admin portal:

One or more users need an assigned license in order to retain an Exchange Online mailbox or archive. Create a new view, select “Users with Exchange mailboxes or archives and no licenses”, and assign licenses.

Any Ideas??

thanks,

David

• Hi David,

Yes. After converting it, you need to assign a license for it. For the information about Assigning a License to New Mailboxes in Office 365, you may refer to the below article:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.newmailboxlicensingenforced.aspx

If you prefer to create a Shared Mailbox without license, please refer the following article to set up a Shared Mailbox.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee441202.aspx

The shared mailbox created by the above method won’t require a license.

However, each user who accesses a shared mailbox must have a user subscription license. Users with Exchange Online Kiosk subscriptions can’t access shared mailboxes. Also, shared mailboxes can’t be used to archive e-mail, except for the messages that are actually sent to or received from the shared mailbox.

If your organization requires any of the following functionality for a shared mailbox, you have to assign it an Exchange Online (Plan 1) user subscription license:
     A shared mailbox that is larger than 5 GB, which is the maximum size allowed for shared mailboxes

The ability to enable an archive mailbox for the shared mailbox

If, in addition to this functionality, your organization has to put a shared mailbox on litigation hold, you have to assign it an Exchange Online (Plan 2) user subscription license.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• hi

may we conclude that is is NOT possible to change a regular mailbox to a shared one without afterwards assigning a licence to it.

(which is not necessary in most cases)

so if you really want to do it, you have to copy first everything to pst files, delete the user, make the shared mailbox and import from pst

kind regards

(i need to convert a regular mailbox we set up in our trial to a shared one, as our trial is ending in a few days)

• Hi All,

I have a trouble with shared mailbox / Office 365.

I create it with remote powershell following the commands to create and set as shared mailbox, to reduce the quota under that 5 GB, to have send as rights and to have full access.

Everything is ok unless to expand folder of the shared mailbox to outlook.

I have got this message : Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened...

Thanks a lot for yours replys.

Fabio.

• Hi Fabio,

Did the Shared Mailbox open well via Outlook Web App?

If so, the shared mailbox is fine. To troubleshoot the issue in Outlook, I would suggest creating a new Outlook profile to prevent the issues caused by cached corrupt information. You may also remove the OST file just in case some corrupt.

To create new Outlook profile for Office 365, please close Outlook, go to Control Panel, click Mail, click Show Profiles in Mail Setup window, click add to create a new profile, cancel the following account setting, choose always use this profile, and choose the newly created profile in the dropdown list, then open Outlook and follow the instruction of New Account Wizard to add Office 365 account.

You can find the OST file in the following location,
     Windows 7 and Windows Vista: drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
     Windows XP: drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

The causes are different from the configuration. If the issue persists, to better follow up the issue, I suggest posting a new question in the forum with the detailed problem description and error message.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• My company migrated from BPOS to Office365 and wish to recover some licenses for shared mailboxes.  I have read though that when I remove the licenses, the mailbox gets deleted.  How do I stop this?

• Hi Dangerous,

I would recommend backing up to PST, creating a new shared mailbox from scratch as described in http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee441202.aspx, then importing the PST into the new mailbox. For the detailed steps, you can also refer the thread: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/158/p/10908/52620.aspx.

If the above information doesn’t answer your question, to better follow up the issue, I suggest posting a new question in the forum with the detailed question description.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• This may help: blogs.technet.com/.../office-365-convert-user-mailbox-to-shared-mailbox.aspx