No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Configuring an SBC to work with Office 365 Unified Messaging (UM)

• This post has 8 Replies |
  • 5 Followers
  • Hi, I’m Lisa Wildwood, one of the writers who’s working to get you up and running with unified messaging in Office 365. If you’re just getting started setting up your infrastructure, it’s important to remember that the capabilities and compatibilities of session border controllers (SBCs) can vary, and how you set them up can be different depending on other equipment on your network, so it’s best to consult with the SBC manufacturer to see if they’ve got configuration notes specifically for Office 365 UM.

You can start with the list of SBCs that we’ve tested with Exchange here: Session Border Controllers Tested with Exchange Online UM (http://help.outlook.com/en-US/140/gg703751.aspx). We’re hard at work with the SBC manufacturer’s writing up configuration notes to give you more specific guidance.

One common mistake people make in setting up SBCs is putting the SBC behind their organization’s firewall, thinking that it’s needed for security.  Since SBCs are designed to sit on the network edge, putting them behind a firewall isn’t necessary, and can cause all sorts of gnarly configuration problems.

And feel free to ping me if you need some information on Exchange Unified Messaging and just aren't finding it. I can point you in the right direction, or work on getting that content up for you. And, if you've got everything humming along already, tell me your story!  Maybe we can use it to help others who are just starting out.

• Great post Lisa. Could you make a post on the steps showing how easy it really is and maybe post some links if there are any.

The only thing iwe seen is from the 365 ignite slides so it could be good to have something public. I would also like to repost this on my blog if its ok.

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke / UCAware - Please follow me @ Blog and Twitter
  • Oh i just found them

Set Up Unified Messaging   Learn what you need to know to get started.

Want to deploy UM both on-premises and in the cloud?   See Set Up Unified Messaging Coexistence.

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke / UCAware - Please follow me @ Blog and Twitter
  • There is some more recent material available publicly as part of the content associated with a session that I gave at TechEd North America in Atlanta (May 2011). You should be able to access the slides and a recording, here ( channel9.msdn.com/.../EXL322 ).

Step-by-step guides for the supported SBCs are in various stages of the review process. We will add links to them from several places, including the Exchange Telephony Advisor content ( technet.microsoft.com/.../ee364753.aspx ) which also contains information on VoIP gateways and PBXs supported with Exchange UM.

• If Lync and Lync Edge is deployed (but not being used for Enterprise Voice) can the Lync Edge server be used as the SBC from a IP-PBX to Exchange Online UM?

Sean McNeill

Blog: http://office365evangelist.com/

Microsoft MVP - Office 365

• The short answer is "no". The Lync Edge server is not intended for use as a general purpose SBC, and Exchange UM has never been tested with it in such a configuration.

• Thanks for the quick response Michael!  not the answer I was looking for but at least I know now!

Sean McNeill

• One more question, I was just asked my a client if it would be possible to have a users mailbox in the cloud and keep the UM role on-premises and deliver the voicemail to the cloud based mailbox?  My initial think is no but want to ask the experts.

Sean McNeill

• There are 2 scenarios to consider here:

1. Call Answering. UM server role can only handle call answering calls for UM-enabled mailboxes that it has access to. thus, an on-premises UM server role is not able to take voice mails on behalf of a user whose mailbox is located in different forest or in O365.

2. Auto Attendant. UM server role is capable of taking voice mail for any user as long as the user is represented by an AD user object with a valid SMTP address. In other words, you can have an org wide auto attendant deployed using on-premises UM server role, even if some of your users have cloud mailboxes.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)