No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

POP3 email doesn't work

• 5 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
I can't get my POP3 email to work.  It is hosted by Network Solutions and I am able to get the POP3 email on both of my smartphones and in Outlook on my computer but I can not get it to work in Office 365.  I have tried every setting I can think of with POP3 and IMAP.
  • Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hi StevenP,

When you add a connected account in Office 365, the OWA will automatically configure POP/IMAP setting. If you want to specify the connection method, can you try wrong password when you add the connected account, then you will get a pop up message like the screenshot below:

You can choose the connection methods between POP and IMAP.

Thanks
    Kent Gu

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi StevenP,

I’d like to confirm that if you have enabled POP/IMAP access for your account. To check the CAS status you need to use following PowerShell cmdlet:
    Get-CASMailbox -Identity alias
    Expected output should be:
    ==========================
    Name       ActiveSyncEnabled  OWAEnabled    PopEnabled      ImapEnabled
    --------    --------------------  --------------    -------------     -------------------
    Alias         True                            True                   True                   True

If POP/IMAP isn’t enabled, you can use following PowerShell cmdlet to enable them:
    Set-CASMailbox -Identity alias -PopEnabled:$true -ImapEnabled:$true

After enabling service, please try to reconfigure your outlook to see if it will work. To find your server settings, sign in to your e-mail account using Outlook Web App. After you sign in, click Options > See All Options > Account > My Account > Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access. The POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP server name and other settings you may need to enter are listed on the Protocol Settings page under POP setting or IMAP setting, and SMTP setting. 

For more information regarding Outlook configuration please refer to Set Up Outlook 2010 for IMAP or POP Access to Your E-Mail Account.

For more information regarding PowerShell please refer to Use Windows PowerShell in Exchange Online.

Thanks,
    Kent Gu
    • Top 100 Contributor
  • Here is what happens when I run the scripts.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi StevenP,

According to the screenshot, the POP/IMAP service is enabled. please reconfigure your outlook to see if it will work.

To find your server settings you need: sign in to your e-mail account using Outlook Web App. After you sign in, click Options > See All Options > Account > My Account > Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access. The POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP server name and other settings you may need to enter are listed on the Protocol Settings page under POP setting or IMAP setting, and SMTP setting.

Thanks,
    Kent Gu

• Top 100 Contributor
  • These are the settings for getting Office 365 email in another application. That is not the problem, It is the other way. I can"t get other POP3 accounts to work in Office 365.  I have tried the automated settings and the settings recommended by Network Solutions.  I says it has worked and shows "Downloading" but then gives an error message after several hours that it failed to connect.

Original message is below.

POP3 email doesn't work

Thread created by StevenP

I can't get my POP3 email to work.  It is hosted by Network Solutions and I am able to get the POP3 email on both of my smartphones and in Outlook on my computer but I can not get it to work in Office 365.  I have tried every setting I can think of with POP3 and IMAP.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi StevenP,

Thank you for your reply.

I'd like to get a little more information about the issue.
    You said "I am able to get the POP3 email on both of my smartphones and in Outlook on my computer ", so please access Outlook Web App (OWA) check the issue.
    The POP3 email account cannot work in Office 365, do you mean that it cannot work as a connected account in Exchange Control Panel?

I will be appreciated if you can provide a screenshot about the error message.

Thanks,
    Bourne Zhang 

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • The problem is that the accounts that are not able to connect in connected accounts in OWA are POP3 only.  When the automated setup runs it chooses an IMAP setting.  When I manually change it to a POP3 port (110) and save it, it reverts back to an IMAP port (143).  

• Not Ranked
  • Hi StevenP,

Based on your description, I understand that you cannot add your accounts as a connected account into Office 365.

To help troubleshoot this problem, could you reproduce this issue and then post a screen shoot here for us to troubleshoot?

Additionally, please refer to the links below to get more information about connected account:

Learn About Connected Accounts:

help.outlook.com/.../dd181953.aspx

Turn on POP or IMAP Access to Connect to Another Account:

help.outlook.com/.../ee476988.aspx

Enter POP Incoming Server and Other Information When Connecting to Other Accounts :

help.outlook.com/.../dd181954.aspx

Thanks,
    Linda Wang

• Top 75 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • From the information in the instructions for:

"Enter POP Incoming Server and Other Information When Connecting to Other Accounts"

Step 4. is "When you're prompted to enter POP or IMAP account connection settings, click POP."

This doesn't happen when I try to set up a new account. It picks IMAP automatically.  My accounts allow access with POP only.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi StevenP,

When you add a connected account in Office 365, the OWA will automatically configure POP/IMAP setting. If you want to specify the connection method, can you try wrong password when you add the connected account, then you will get a pop up message like the screenshot below:

You can choose the connection methods between POP and IMAP.

Thanks
    Kent Gu

• Top 100 Contributor
  • That worked, thanks.  

• Not Ranked
  • While we don't per se' you may find this interesting.  We have had Office 365 for over a year and have both Exchanage mailboxes and POP3 mailboxes.  We setup everything according to the Office 365 instructions over a year ago and everthing was working great until 2 October 2012.  The POP3 mail boxes were oriignally setup at our web hosting providered, but when we obtained Office 365 we wanted to us our domain name with Exchange mail boxes; thus we had to permit Office 365 to manage the domain (DNS).  We did this for two different domain names at two different web hosting providers.  According to the Office 365 setup instructions the POP3 emails handled by our web hosting provider did not require an Office 365 licenses since they were basically a pass-through where the POP3 mail box was a shared handling between the web hosting provider's mail server and the Office 365 mail server.  However the POP3 mail box had to now us Pod51009.outlook.com for both the POP3 incoming and SMTP outcoming mail server with encryption rather than the web hosting provider's mail servers.  As we outlined everything worked great for over a year or until 2 October of this year (2012).  Apparently something changed with Office 365 mail servers and now according to the Office 365 support team (whoes management can't not explain why) but apparently you now have to have an Office 365 licenses assocaited with all POP3 mailboxes even though you are not using any Office 365 services with that particular user / mail box.  I.e. our particular mailboxes are a genearl Info@ and Solutions@ with our domain name which are on our web sites for general potential customer contact emails.  Apparently there has been a change with both the Office 365 mail servers and how they do a pass through of POP3 emails that you use to get for free with you web hosting provider, but if Office 365 managers your domain - you now have to pay a monthly fee to have / use your POP3 email from your web hosting provider.

So your solution might be that you now have to buy additional licenses for all of your POP3 emails realted to your web hosting provider (i.e. Network Solutions, etc.) if Office 365 is managing your domain.  We have tried this and yes the POP3 will work again, however this just means that those POP3 mailboxes you got  or paid for as a part of your web hosting; you are now also having to pay for under Office 365 as well.  Questionable now as to the total value of Office 365 when attempting to utilize it as a part of your business operations and integrated with a thrid party web hosting provider's services.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Raymond,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the current situation and your description, in order to better research and troubleshoot this problem, I'd like suggest you post a new thread in the community with detailed information about your scenario.

Thanks,
    Bourne Zhang

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)