No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Can rules detect bcc'ed recipient?

• 2 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I'd like to set up some rules to act based on the recipient email address of emails that end up in an Office 365 mailbox.

Eg. say there are 2 verified domains associated with the the user's, user1, mailbox: d1.com and d2.com. So mail can be received when sent to user1@d1.com or user1@d2.com.

A third external address, user1@ex.com, is attached to the mailbox by a "connected account" through IMAP.

Let's say I want to automatically file mail sent to each of these addresses in their own folder. So I can create 3 rules to move incoming mail to a specified folder based on the address sent to:

user1@d1.com (verified) --> folder1

user1@d2.com (verified) --> folder2

user1@ex.com (IMAP)     --> folder3

What happens when the recipient address is in the BCC field? Does the rule just look at the TO and CC fields, therefore ignoring BCC? Or are the rules smart enough to figure out what address the mail is being delivered to so that even if it is in the BCC field it will be sorted appropriately?

Thanks!

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Ricardoz,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Is there any way to create rules based on the "Received:" headers, or even rules that search for a string ANYWHERE in the headers?
    I test this issue via OWA and find a way to create a rule regarding message header. I do not sure if that is just you want to know the result. I hope it can help you.

As for the BCC issue, I sincerely suggest you go to http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135  to submit feedback about this great suggestion to help improve Office 365 service. Your time and efforts to our attention are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Johnny

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Ricardoz,
    I understand you would like to set rule for BCC and move incoming mails into their specific folders. As far as I know, BCC is intended to hide from the email receiver others that have been copied on the same email. So you cannot check for anything in this field. Moreover, if the recipient is in BCC box, it cannot be identified by rules in Exchange currently.

For a workaround, you can create another new inbox rule with condition that My Name is "not in the To box" to put all BCCs received emails into specific folders. Note: this rule will pick up all BCCs received.

Thanks,
    Johnny

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

I understand that BCC does not display recipients so it is not possible to filter directly on a BCC field. However, the header information for the received email does contain the recipient email address among the chain of "received:" headers (the recipient server, of course, needs to know where to deliver to message).

As an experiment I sent mail to my own Exchange mailbox using different aliases in the BCC field (nothing in the TO or CC fields) from an external mail account. I could examine the original message headers for the received emails in the message details dialog.

I could clearly identify the recipient email alias in the header chain in the form of headers such as:

Received: ... for <user1@d1.com> ...

or

Received: ... for <user1@d2.com> ...

So, in principle, it should be possible to have rules based on the recipient email address even when it is only present in a BCC field. This would allow correct sorting of BCC'ed emails based on recipient rather than all BCC'ed emails treated as equivalent.

In fact, GMail's server is kind enough to add their own custom header, "Delivered-To:", which can be used in GMail filters precisely for this purpose.

While, I think you've already answered the question (no, it's not possible to do this in Exchange), before I give up I wanted to clarify:

Is there any way to create rules based on the "Received:" headers, or even rules that search for a string ANYWHERE in the headers?

If the answer is no, can this be passed as a feature request to your developers? Header based rules would be very useful.

Thanks!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ricardoz,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I test this issue via OWA and find a way to create a rule regarding message header. I do not sure if that is just you want to know the result. I hope it can help you.

As for the BCC issue, I sincerely suggest you go to http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135  to submit feedback about this great suggestion to help improve Office 365 service. Your time and efforts to our attention are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Johnny

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi,

Thanks for that. I hadn't noticed those options before. Just to clarify, you need to first click on the "more options" button when creating a new rule in order for those options to be available in the dropdown. Otherwise you are limited to a more basic set of options.

I'll have to experiment with it but I think the option you highlighted should work. I'll write the feedback to microsoft on the link you provided.

I also noticed there is an option to identify mail coming from an attached account, which would also be useful for sorting those to a specific folder, including BCC'ed mail sent to such an account.

Thanks.

Edit: I played with it and it can work but sometimes there is a linebreak after the "for" in "for <address>" and it won't recognize the phrase across the line break. Therefore you would have to filter on "<address>" to get consistent results. To be safe you would probably want to create higher priority rules to check for addresses visible in To and CC fields and only when those fail look for "<address>"s in all headers.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ricardoz,
    Thanks for your efforts on this issue.
    I have reproduced this issue on my computer and find another way to identify by BCC rule in Exchange online.

When sender send email to you, put your alias into BCC field, and then you will receive this email from bcc folder. Also you can add a new rule for a specific person and so on. Hope it can be useful for you.

If you need further assistance on the issue, please feel free to post back. We’re very glad to help you.

Thanks,
    Johnny

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Thanks.

That will work for BCC but it would be generic for BCC sent to any alias. It would not be able to differentiate to which alias the message was delivered. If the intent is to have all BCC messages regardless of intended alias move to one folder (or based on sender, etc.) that would be fine.

My original intent is to separate mail sent to different aliases, regardless of how it is sent (TO, CC, or BCC). For this you would have to use the header rule. You could also separate based on alias and also BCC to separate folders, etc.

I think to separate on alias you would do something like this:

rule1:

After the message arrives and...

the message was sent to 'user1@domain1'

Do the following...

move the message to folder 'user1'

And stop processing more rules on this message

rule2:

the message was sent to 'user2@domain2'

Do the following...

move the message to folder 'user2'

rule3:

the header of the message contains the words '<user1@domain1>'

Do the following...

move the message to folder 'user1'

rule4:

the header of the message contains the words '<user2@domain2>'

Do the following...

move the message to folder 'user2'

rule3 and 4 could move to folders 'user1-bcc' and 'user2-bcc' if you wanted to separate these as rules 1 and 2 have already ruled out either alias being in the TO or CC fields.

Also, note how ambiguous the wording is on these rules. For instance, "the message was sent to ". I'm assuming this will check if the address entered appears as any recipient in either TO or CC (but not BCC). But it isn't clear from the language that that is the case. It COULD include BCC, or it COULD include TO but NOT CC. There are a number of ways the rules can be improved, but at the most basic level the language needs to be corrected to make it clear what the rule is doing. The user shouldn't have to guess or run multiple experiments just to test such a basic feature.

Thanks!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ricardoz,
    I am very thank you submit feedback to our team and the Microsoft Product Team will take all suggestions and feedback into consideration for future releases.
    Again, thank you for working closely to improve our products.

Thanks,
    Johnny

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)