Error: This account can't be used to access Outlook.com

• 36 Followers
  • 67 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I've been unable to log into my Hotmail account since Microsoft introduced the new Outlook.com interface on 1 August, due to a conflict with my Office 365 account.

I have an Exchange Online Plan 1 account with Office 365, which is using my personal domain name (let's say jeremy@example.com). I've had this account for several months now.

And I also have a Windows Live account, which uses the exact same email address, jeremy@example.com using my personal domain name. This account also has an @hotmail.com email address attached to it as an alias, which I use for private mail, but the primary email address (and login address) of this Windows Live account is jeremy@example.com. I've had this account for several years and it's always worked just fine for logging onto Hotmail, even after I got my Office 365 account.

However, as of 1 Aug, I can no longer log into Hotmail, or into outlook.com (which are now one and the same). After I try to log in using jeremy@example.com I get the following error:

---------------

This account can't be used to access Outlook.com
You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com. Please click here to sign out of your Office 365 account, then use another Microsoft account to sign in to Outlook.com (for example, your hotmail.com, live.com, or msn.com account).

---------------

I've tried using the InPrivate Browsing mode (ie. no cookies/cache) but it makes no difference.

This seems to be a gross oversight on the part of Microsoft, and I'd like to have this investigated by Microsoft and have an official answer as to how I'm expected to access my Hotmail right now. I would like Microsoft to provide me with the steps involved in resolving this in order to gain access to my mail.

I've read numerous other accounts from other Office 365 users who are having the exact same problem as me, so it's certainly not an isolated incident.

Cheers,

Jeremy

• Post Points: 245
Verified Answer
  • Deary Rydad,
    Using Microsoft Online ID and Live ID will sometimes cause this sort of behavior.  The simplest thing to do is to close all IE windows when switching between the two systems.  I know this isn't elegant but for the time being, the two authentications systems are closely related and can obviously cause issues switching between the two.  Of course AD FS is an option if you have the on premise servers to take over authentication, but I understand not all organizations are able to deploy this as a solution.  I'm grateful for your feedback and will be sure to pass it along.  As the product cycle of both Office and Office 365 shortens we hope to be able to implement changes must faster and I will definitely submit this as a requested change.

Thanks,

Gary Tate
    MSFT Support

Gary Tate

MSFT Support

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • I am having the same problem.  I can log into live.com, but I cannot log into outlook.com.  Fortunately I don't use hotmail.com but I'd like to get an outlook.com address.

If I update my email address in my live.com account (in other words, change it from the same email address I use to log into Office 365), will that change my log-in address and get around the problem?

Thank.

• Not Ranked
  • I am having the same problem! Help! I can't access anything on my LIVE account because I use the same username as I do on my O365 account.

- Jonathan

• Not Ranked
  • Microsoft, can we have an answer and a fix to this problem please?

• Not Ranked
  • Hello KiwiBloke,

I wanted to inform you that I am currently looking into this issue, I will updating the post as soon as i get update on this issue.

Kind Regards,
    Mario Novoa

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Same problem here!

I have my domain connected to O365 but only for SharePoint stuff. Inbox and Contactsn on Hotmail stopped working for my liveid with the same domain. Now only Calendar and Skydrive works although I can still access my mail through Windows Phone, Outlook Connector and Windows Mail.

• Not Ranked
  • I think I solved this by changing my log-in email address at live.com to another email address.  This means that my Office 365 email log-in address is only used for that log-in, while my other email address is used to log in to live.com.  Everything seems to be working in live.com with the new email address, and all my stuff seems to be there.  I am having to manually log-in to both services -- it seems to "remember" me incorrectly -- but I think that may eventually iron itself out.

• Not Ranked
  • That might work as a temporary fix, but it's unacceptable as a proper solution. We shouldn't have to change our Live account emails just to get around this bug. If Hotmail and Office 365 truly are completely separate, independent systems with independent authentication servers, as Microsoft have already stated, then we should be able to log into both systems using the exact same email address (not the same account - but the same email address used with both accounts).

• Not Ranked
  • I found a way to log into my live.com account. Once there, I was able to change my live.com login email address to an email address that is NOT used by my Office 365 account. In my case, I created a NEW live.com account specifically for this purpose. Once I did this, and answered the various email challenges that resulted from Microsoft making sure I really wanted to change the primary email address for my live account, all seems to work again.

It was only by luck that I was able to log into my Live.com account. If I tried going to live.com and logging in, that failed and gave me the warning about the conflict.However, i received an invitation to a microsoft event, which leveraged the live.com login, and that workflow DID let me log in. Once logged in, I was able to access my account information and change my email address. For those of you stuck, here's the link the the event.

https://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/EventDetail.aspx?culture=en-US&EventID=1032522586&IO=ajqMUhUv516DsuI06sHlEA%3d%3d

If you click on it, then click the the Register button, and then "I am a returning user", it should take you to the login.live.com login screen that will get you in so that you can change your account settings.

I hope that helps some of you who are having this problem.

- Jonathan

• Not Ranked
  • It's actually very easy to log into your Live account if you just want to change your address to something else. All you need to do is go to https://account.live.com and log in. Unlike the Hotmail page, this Account page will let you log in even if your email address is the same as your Office 365 address. And then you can easily change your Live account email to something else.

However, that doesn't resolve the problem for us at all. We aren't wanting to change our Live address to something else, we need to be able to use the same address for Hotmail/Live as we do for Office 365. Changing our address isn't the solution; that defeats the purpose and advantage of having just one address to use for both accounts, which in the year 2012 ought to be more than possible.

• Not Ranked
  • Same problem, what an annoyance

• Not Ranked
  • Just bumping to see if anyone has made any progress here...

I have had little annoyances like this ever since moving my email accounts from Small Business Server to O365.  I had always had live.com/Hotmail.com accounts with the same email addresses and never had problems logging in.  Now, I have to jump through what seems like a bazillion hoops just to log out of one service so I can *try* to log in to the other.  I would consider just changing my live.com email address, but now I am using that account for Windows 8 logins which I believe ties everything together.  I know I shouldn't be playing with pre-release software on production systems, but I am and I don't want to risk losing all of my local computer accounts and SkyDrive files by changing the login information that is used by the local computer.

FYI-  Just logging into this forum so I could post this took me about 5 minutes of connecting to various Microsoft sites in an attempt to login/out of the right ones.  Frustrated.

-rd

• Not Ranked
  • Deary Rydad,
    Using Microsoft Online ID and Live ID will sometimes cause this sort of behavior.  The simplest thing to do is to close all IE windows when switching between the two systems.  I know this isn't elegant but for the time being, the two authentications systems are closely related and can obviously cause issues switching between the two.  Of course AD FS is an option if you have the on premise servers to take over authentication, but I understand not all organizations are able to deploy this as a solution.  I'm grateful for your feedback and will be sure to pass it along.  As the product cycle of both Office and Office 365 shortens we hope to be able to implement changes must faster and I will definitely submit this as a requested change.

Thanks,

Gary Tate
    MSFT Support

Gary Tate

MSFT Support

• Not Ranked
  • Gary, that doesn't answer the original problem we are all experiencing, as described in the original post above. What Rydad is describing seems to be unrelated to the bug we are experiencing here between Office 365 and Outlook.com. We are still waiting for this to be fixed and for a solution to be reported here.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi KiwiBloke1,
    I just tried registering one of my Office365 e-mail addresses as a Live ID and got an error that it already exists.  I need to do some further research  into this.  I believe the outlook.com system lets you change your e-mail address for the account, but obviously this isn't a possibility if you can't log in.  I might need to engage some folks on the outlook.com side to see how to move forward.  From my testing it's not possible for a Microsoft Online Services ID to be registered as a Live ID, but if it was a Live ID first there might not be a check in place to prevent it from becoming a MOS ID.

I've taken ownership of this thread and will get back to you.

Thanks,

Gary Tate
    MSFT Support

Gary Tate

MSFT Support

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 5 (68 items) 1|2|3|4|5|