No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Want to use Exchange Management Console without installing Exchange 2010 server

• 3 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi

We would like to use the Exchange Management Console to administrate our Exchange Online users. Is it a must to install a On-promise Exchange server for doing this? and would you please provide any steps and procedures for this?

Also, if we can use EMC to perform the administration tasks without the installing an On-promise Exchange server, will it be any limitation of the administration or we can have the full features of administration?

Best regards

KenPen

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hi KenPen,

I understand you prefer to install Exchange Management Console (EMC).

You can check the Exchange 2010 Prerequisites.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232090.aspx

And you can check the Exchange 2010 System Requirements.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

This link provides more information about installing Exchange 2010 EMC.
     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232090.aspx

After you install the EMC, you can perform the administration task as you are in Exchange Control Panel (ECP).

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi Ray

After installing the EMC, I found that it is just a UI for Exchange Online Control Panel, no the full features for administrating Exchange online (creating shared mailbox, distribution list).

If I would like to have the administration on Exchange online and on-premise AD together (Distribution list, access rights, etc), do I need to install a hybrid exchange on-premise 2010 server?

If an on-premise Exchange 2010 server is need, can you help to provide the installation on Exchange 2010, setup on co-existance, etc? (I am a beginner on Exchange)

Do I need to install all Exchange components (Client Access, Hub Transport, and the Mailbox role) or I can only install one or two components?

Best regards

KenPen

• Not Ranked
  • Hi KenPen,

If you prefer to manage the Exchange Online with on-premise AD environment, you need to set up Hybrid deployment.

You can refer this link to install Exchange 2010.

technet.microsoft.com/.../ff805033

And you can use the suggestion from the Exchange Deployment Assistant to deploy the hybrid environment.

technet.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi KenPen,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Ray

I get error when installing Exchange server and the installation cannot completed. Below is the error displayed.

===========

Mailbox Role

Failed

Error:

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();

$name = [Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.EnableMailbox]::DiscoveryMailboxUniqueName;

$dispname = [Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.EnableMailbox]::DiscoveryMailboxDisplayName;

$dismbx = get-mailbox -Filter {name -eq $name} -IgnoreDefaultScope -resultSize 1;

if( $dismbx -ne $null)

{

$srvname = $dismbx.ServerName;

if( $dismbx.Database -ne $null -and $RoleFqdnOrName -like "$srvname.*" )

{

Write-ExchangeSetupLog -info "Setup DiscoverySearchMailbox Permission.";

$mountedMdb = get-mailboxdatabase $dismbx.Database -status | where { $_.Mounted -eq $true };

if( $mountedMdb -eq $null )

{

Write-ExchangeSetupLog -info "Mounting database before stamp DiscoverySearchMailbox Permission...";

mount-database $dismbx.Database;

}

$mountedMdb = get-mailboxdatabase $dismbx.Database -status | where { $_.Mounted -eq $true };

if( $mountedMdb -ne $null )

{

$dmRoleGroupGuid = [Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Management.RoleGroup]::DiscoveryManagementWkGuid;

$dmRoleGroup = Get-RoleGroup -Identity $dmRoleGroupGuid -DomainController $RoleDomainController -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue;

if( $dmRoleGroup -ne $null )

{

Add-MailboxPermission $dismbx -User $dmRoleGroup.Identity -AccessRights FullAccess -DomainController $RoleDomainController -WarningAction SilentlyContinue;

}

}

}

}

" was run: "Couldn't resolve the user or group "THSHTPH.Global/Microsoft Exchange Security Groups/Discovery Management." If the user or group is a foreign forest principal, you must have either a two-way trust or an outgoing trust.".

Couldn't resolve the user or group "THSHTPH.Global/Microsoft Exchange Security Groups/Discovery Management." If the user or group is a foreign forest principal, you must have either a two-way trust or an outgoing trust.

The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed.

Click here for help... technet.microsoft.com/.../ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.141).aspx

Elapsed Time: 00:02:57

Finalizing Setup

Cancelled

======================

After the installation, I can create distribution group but cannot add members. It did not show users that have Exchange online accounts.

Best regards

Ken

• Not Ranked
  • It looks like you are trying to install a role, but you don't need to do that, you can simply install the Management Console role. Just uncheck all other roles. You also need to make sure you prep you domain for Exchange 2010...take a look here:

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb125224.aspx

Thanks,

Jorge R. Diaz

Microsoft MVP | Office 365

MCITP: Office 365 Administrator

Check out my Blog

Follow Me

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi KenPen,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)