Cannot open shared mailbox in Outlook 2010

• 4 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I have setup and configured a shared "info@" mailbox. Using Powershell and the method described in the online help. Everthing works fine in OWA.

I am now trying to open an "addtional" mailbox in Outlook (2010) using the old-fashioned mapi profile 'advanced' button. The button is greyed out.
I have one BPOS account in my profile, this works fine. I have two office 365 accounts in my profile, they both do not allow to open an additional mailbox.

I do see a lot of 'powershell' suggestions. I feel this is an Outlook profile issue, much like the one described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833399

Can you suggest?

Regards, -Patrick

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Patrick,

I have confirmed that adding additional mailboxes from "Account Settings" of an Office 365 connection in Outlook 2010 will not work by design. The reason for this behavior appears to be that Outlook 2010 is capable of natively opening additional mailboxes instead which will allow multiple accounts to work in "Exchange Cached Mode" and so use fewer resources than the previous access method.

I hope this information helps!

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Micah,

A bit of a bummer. It does not really help, of course. I now know I shouldn't spend any time on it.

What would be your proposed workaround? We have multiple 'shared email addresse' that we would like to use.

We were not planning to log-in for each seperate account as if they are real users. Beside the head ache, we would need to license.

Regars, -Patrick

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Patrick,

Sorry for not including this information before, Outlook 2010 should automatically display the mailboxes of any users which you have been given "Full Control" permission over from PowerShell. If your Outlook 2010 profile does not show the mailboxes of users which you have recently added permissions to you can "repair" your Outlook profile to get these mailboxes to show up.

Close Outlook 2010 and then go to "Control Panel - Mail - E-mail Accounts... - (Select your Office 365 account) - Repair".

Please let me know if this works. I hope this helps!

• Top 150 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi Micah,

Sorry to say that this did not help in any way. I have updated the O365 software using the startpage setup buttons.

Ran repair via the control panel. Rechecked the Full Permission and Send As on the shared info mailbox.

All with not effect. The "add mailbox" button is still grayed out. And no additional mailboxes are opened.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Micah,

I have resolved this issues somewhat. I have deleted the account from the profile and than added the account again. A mailbox to which I have Full Permission rights now shows up in Outlook 2010. However, a shared mailbox (info@...) does not show up, this is the one multiple persons would be monitoring.

Anny suggestions?

-Patrick

• Not Ranked
  • Follow-up question: In 2003 such a shared inbox works well from Outlook, but not when Exchange is accessed as OWA.

For us, having such a common inbox from where items are picked for processing by staff is the only way model can possibly work.

I really want to move away from 2003 (exchange + Outlook) so a robust solution would be appreciated.

[TaSK]

• Not Ranked
  • I am also having the same issue. Added shared mailboxes, but they cannot be opened in Outlook. Only in OWA. They need to be able to open them in Outlook instead. They do get opened up automatically, but they are not accessible in Outlook. Is there a way to fix this? both full + send as is set.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)