No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office365 Outlook 2010 - Updating Inbox, Unable to receive email

• 11 Followers
  • 32 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Not Answered This question is not answered

I have an Office 365 client using Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine whose Outlook keeps saying that it's "Updating Inbox (3.99 GB).

It always starts at 3.99 GB and starts counting down and eventually stops. It never completes. This is somehow preventing him from receiving email.

When Outlook first starts, it syncs any new email and goes back to "Updating Inbox (3.99 GB)". Any email sent to him after that is only received via OWA or on his mobile device.

I've tried reloading his profile and making sure there is only one, no difference.

I've set up his profile while logged onto his laptop under a different user, no difference.

No new Windows Updates installed prior to this issue.

Installed any pending Windows Updates, no difference.

He is able to send email fine.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

• Post Points: 50
All Replies
  • Hi JuanM,

I understand you have problems using Outlook 2010 with Exchange Online.

Do you mean the new mails can’t be synced to the clients’ Outlook?

Did you try to set this user account in a different computer in different network environment? You can follow the steps below.

1.Create a new profile of Outlook. You can refer to this link about how to create.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

2.Then you can add the Office 365 account to Outlook. Please refer the steps in this link.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd253202.aspx

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Ray,

Yes, new mail is not being synced to the client's Outlook.

I set up his account on my PC and it does exactly the same thing.

If I set Outlook to work in Online mode, it works fine. New mail syncs perfectly.

Thanks

• Not Ranked
  • Hi JuanM,

For Outlook 2010, I find a article you can refer to. Maybe it will be useful.

Repair Outlook Data Files 
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010354964.aspx

Thanks,

Melissa

• Not Ranked
  • I have a user who has the same issue. She has a huge mail file 4+ GB.

A few months ago she was on XP. The company was on exchange online.

A month ago we migrated to Office 365 version. I recently reimaged her laptop with Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit. Now her inbox will say "Updating Inbox 3.99 GB"

If I close and reopen outlook, it may go down to 2.82GB then stop. If I close and reopen Outlook it may stay on 3.99Gb or go down again.

I have removed her profile and OST and started from scratch. No dice.

Any workarounds or anything?

thank you

John

• Not Ranked
  • Melissa, the OST is not corrupt since setting up his account on a different PC does the same thing.

John, the only workaround so far is setting Outlook to "Online mode".

I worked with a Microsoft Support Escalation Engineer who gathered some logs from Outlook. This was several days ago and I haven't heard back from him.

• Not Ranked
  • Juan,

We migrated our organization to Office 365 last week and are experiencing this EXACT issue with numerous mailboxes/users in the office. Outlook will say "Updating Inbox" in the status bar, and it will never complete the process. During this, it also is unable to retrieve/receive new messages in the Inbox (users have to close and relaunch Outlook to see new mail messages). Users have been using OWA instead of Outlook because of this issue.

When I raised this to Microsoft Online Services support, I was advised to switch my users to Non-Cached Exchange mode. I'm currently testing this between 5-10 users before pushing it out across the organization, but I already have bandwidth concerns and concerns for users who work remotely on their laptops.

This issue seems to be occurring with users who have 1-5 GB mailboxes, and have 7000+ messages in their Inbox. The unfortunate part of this issue is that it affects the majority of our executives/managers....

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi brgnewman,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi JuanM,

I understand you submitted a Service Request.

To further troubleshooting the issue, I would like to collect the SR number. I have sent you a private message on this. It was responded in a private message with a subject of "Information Request".

Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.

Click Private messages.

Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

You can reply by using the form in that display to provide the information requested.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Just to add to the pot... same problem here!

I am having no problems with Outlook 2010 on my desktop computer, but every time I start Outlook 2010 on my lapop, Office 365 insists on updating the folders, starting with a 141MB folder which it never completes.

The status bar says "This folder is up to date" but when I click on the folder the status bar shows the message "Updating (141MB)".

I don't have more than 7000 messages in my Inbox, but probably do have more that 7000 if I include all the sub-folders.

One of my main reasons for subsribing to Office 365 was to be able access my e-mails from my laptop while on tour. I head away soon and although the system has been working well I am now unable to access my new e-mails from my laptop because of this "updating" problem.... HOPELESS!

Interestingly, I just tried closing and re-opening Outlook 2010 and one e-mail came through from "Welcome to Microsoft 365 Community" although there are others that I can see with a web browser but don't find their way onto my laptop!?!

As this renders Office 365 on the laptop totally useless I (and no doubt all other users with this problem) need an urgent solution and if there is no answer we should be made aware that we need to actively seek out an alternative to Office 365 that will work.

I haven't tried recreating my profile, but it seems as if others have - to no avail!

Shane.

• Not Ranked
  • This morning I had to switch an additional 5-10 users in our organization to Non-Cached Exchange mode because they were reporting Outlook never would finish updating their Inbox, and that they failed to receive any new emails in Outlook during the process.

Earlier today I received an email from the Microsoft Technical Support Engineer I've been working with - he wanted an update regarding the case and if Non-Cached Exchange mode was helping. When I replied back with my performance and mobility concerns, I received: "Yes I understand your concern, as this issue has been around since last week. But currently there is no update from the other team. As soon as I get any update on it, I will mail you the same."

If this is a known issue, why is this not noted on the Microsoft Online Services' Service Health portal? I've been checking this portal every few hours the past couple days and says nothing about Service DegradationInterruptions.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • brgnewman, that's where I'm at right now. Non-Cached Exchange mode works and I've been told that more and more clients are having this same issue.

Last week I was guided through creating an Outlook dump using a tool named "TTTracer.exe". Today I was told to run the tool to create a smaller dump so I'm currently doing that.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi JuanM,

Thanks for providing SR number. I noticed the support engineer send you an email about the troubleshoot steps. Please follow the steps and send the result to the engineer.

I really appreciate your understanding and patience.

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Eagerly awaiting a solution for JuanM in the hope that I can start retrieving e-mails on my laptop and not keep giving our monthly data allowance a hammering with failed “Updates”!

• Not Ranked
  • We are having this issue with a couple of users at different clients.  we've tried deleting profiles, deleting .ost files and re-creating them, you name it.  we got the email from one client into O365 by way of the IMAP sync, so there were some messages above 25Mb, we've even gone so far as to pull them out of the mailbox and delete them from the deleted items folder.  the other client we did a direct import of a .pst file from Outlook while online, so that should have come down without issue, but isn't.

please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist in troubleshooting.

• Not Ranked
  • Today I was asked to produce a txt file of my client's mailbox folder statistics (Get-Mailboxfolderstatistics) and email it back. Other than that, no other updates.

MaleXLR, have you tried configuring your Outlook for Non-Cached mode?

office.microsoft.com/.../turn-on-or-off-cached-exchange-mode-HP001232935.aspx

See the "Turn Cached Exchange Mode Off" section. That is the only way my client's Outlook connects and updates normally. He's the only user I have running non-cached mode so bandwidth is not a concern at this point. The only difference I've noticed while testing it is that his Outlook goes to "Offline" when he's off the network and wireless and stays "Offline" even after connecting to the network/internet. He just has to restart Outlook to fix this.

I'll keep you guys updated with any new info.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1|2|3|