Office 365 Exchange Global Email Signature/ Footer

• This post has 14 Replies |
  • 8 Followers
  • How can you add/ change a global email footer which all office 365 users must pick up, e.g. a legal disclaimer or copyright for the organization?

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello Stuart,

The way that you would do this is to follow these steps:

1.  Sign in to the Microsoft Office 365 portal, and then open the Exchange Online Control Panel (ECP).

2.  Change the view so you are managing the entire organization, and not just your individual mailbox. To do this, click Options, click See all Options, click Manage Myself, and then click Manage my Organization in the list.

3.  Click Mail Control, and then click the Rules tab.

4.  Click New to start building a new transport rule

Add a disclaimer to all external bound emails:

1.  In the New Rule window, click More Options.

2.  Click If, click the sender, and then click is external/internal.

3.  In the Select Scope dialog box, click Outside the organization in the From list

4.  Under Do the following, click Apply a disclaimer to the message, and then click Append a disclaimer

5.  In the Specify Disclaimer Text dialog box, type the text to display in the disclaimer, and then click OK

6.  Name the rule, and then save the rule.

7.  Verify that the rule is enabled in the Rules list.

This is how you add a disclaimer.

Thank you, Jeff McDonald, O365 Forum Moderator

Thank you, Jeff McDonald, O365 Forum Moderator
  • Dear Jeff,

We have just started the use of Office 365 after a cut off migration from SBS 2008 std. We have around 75 users.

The above works well, but only in text format without any font available and also not able to insert company logo(image file). Is there any way to include email signature with logo (image) which can apply to all? Rather than adding it one by one, through individual outlook options?

We would really appreciate if some help can be provided on implementation as a group approach.

Thank you.

Regards,

Lennox

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Jeff,

I found that if you want to add the disclaimer to outbound email only and not when sent within your organization the rule needs to say:

1.  In the New Rule window, click More Options.

2.  Click If, click the sender, and then click is external/internal.

3.  In the Select Scope dialog box, click INSIDE the organization in the From list

4.  Under Do the following, click Apply a disclaimer to the message, and then click Append a disclaimer

5.  In the Specify Disclaimer Text dialog box, type the text to display in the disclaimer, and then click OK

6. Except if... the recipient is in the scope of Inside the Organization

7.  Name the rule, and then save the rule.

8.  Verify that the rule is enabled in the Rules list.

That way disclaimers only go outbound to non company staff.  Maybe I am missing something, in your example you are adding the disclaimer for inbound mail from outside the company senders.  Is there a reason we might what to set that up.?  Thanks

• Jeff, I want to create a global email disclaimer that goes out with all emails but on your instructions you say click mail control and then the rules tab....

but there is no rules tab???

• Hi,

On top of the page is a "Rules" icon or button.  Not a tab.  Sorry about that.

• Nope there isn't even a rules icon or button at the top of the page?

• You have to logged is the admin and an the admin page

Exchange Online

Outlook settings and protection.

Select Manage.

We are using E3 not sure if it is the same with a P version

• not sure what you mean by E3 and P but its definitely showing on what I have at this end... Very frustrating!

• Lewis,

You can't make changes like this with a P plan. P is the small business plan where E is the enterprise plan. If you have a Small Business (read P Plan) then you can't make that rule.

Jorge R. Diaz

Microsoft MVP | Office 365

MCITP: Office 365 Administrator

Check out my Blog

Follow Me

• Ah, thanks Jorge for pointing this out, at least I understand now..

Its a real shame that I cannot have that feature as I thought that would be available to me as a small business user. I guess we will just have to add it locally on the outlook signature section for everyone.

Thanks again.

• Hello,

We are preparing to go live on Office365 and I've implemented an HTML footer using the admin portal which is working.  When an initial email is sent, the signature appears correctly.  When a response is sent from the recipient of the original message, their footer is placed below the original sender's footer so they stack on top of one another at the bottom of the email.  Is there anyway to fix this?

• Hello. I'm seeing the same thing. Did you find if is there a way to only add it once?

• Just wondering about Lennox's issue.

I can setup the rule, which works perfectly when I use Outlook etc for all staff, but when I use my iPhone, only text is appended, and the logo doesn't show. Is there any way to set up either:

1. To force the signature to use HTML always

2. To have two differing [dynamically selected] signatures (one for text and one for HTML)

• Lewis,

If you have a domain controller within your organization, your best bet will be to use Group Policies.

1. You'll need first to create a new strategy within "Group policy editor" and apply it to the "Organization unit" of your choice.

2. Now edit that new strategy and go to User configuration >Preferences > Windows settings > Folders. This will allow you to create and maintain a local folder in every user profiles in your organization unit. You must use %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures for the path.

3. You then want to copy some files within the folder you just created. You'll do that with User configuration >Preferences > Windows settings > Files. So you first need to create a folder local to the server or with a UNC path, that will contain the files you need to copy to your user profiles.

That's it. Outlook will find your signatures. You just need to activate auto-signature within Outlook options.

If you have Office Enterprise or volume licenses you could also use the pre-installation Wizard and/or Group policy templates available on the volume license dvd.

Good luck

PS State this post as helpful please

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)