OWA can't validate S/MIME signatures?

• 12 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

When I receive a message with an S/MIME digital signature, OWA does not handle it very well.

In the conversation view, it displays a warning:

This type of message isn't fully supported in Conversation mode. Click here to open the full version, which may show you more details or features.

If you "Click here", it doesn't give you anything useful, it just says:

This message has a digital signature. The digital signature couldn't be validated because the S/MIME control isn't available.

How, pray tell, does one make the "S/MIME control" available?

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
  • You are correct David.  The message you are seeing is there to support the scenario where an OWA user could install the control but has not yet done so.  The scenario you have encountered should present the user with a different message, one that actually applies to the current situation.  I'll raise this issue with the product group.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hello,

S/MIME is supported in Outlook but not in the O365 Outlook Web App. S/MIME has 20+ settings in the registry -- not the AD -- of each Client Access Server.  Thus S/MIME settings cannot be made granular for each O365 company; any changes made to CAS registry would be global for every OWA published by the server.

Thanks,

Chase

Thank you,
    Chase Dahl
    O365 Forum Moderator
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
  • If it's not supported, it would make more sense to simply say that, instead of giving an unhelpful message about "the S/MIME control isn't available".

• Not Ranked
  • You are correct David.  The message you are seeing is there to support the scenario where an OWA user could install the control but has not yet done so.  The scenario you have encountered should present the user with a different message, one that actually applies to the current situation.  I'll raise this issue with the product group.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Not Ranked
  • Please add S/MIME support for OWA.....

• Not Ranked
  • Has there been any change to O365 since this was asked two years ago so that S/MIME could be supported now?

• Not Ranked
  • It would be great in Exchange 2013 and then the next wave of Office 365 the settings were elsewhere other than the registry or more granular not a per server thing.

I haven't had the upgrade nor a chance to start a trial or spin up a vm to check but I really want to implement S/MIME.

Graham

• Top 200 Contributor
  • I have the same issue - I am doing some research on this and for gmail there is a browser plugin called penango that handles this - this browser plugin mind you only works on IE not on chrome ;-p - imho this seems to be a client issue and not server issue..... perhaps it has to do with the fact that this will make it to easy for us users to make a bit difficult or perhaps impossible for some of the nosier agencies to look over our shoulders - godforbide....

• Not Ranked
  • Any news on it

In few words

On premise we can have encryption on outlook, owa and on blackberry

In office365 there is only outlook option.

In the age of ipads, and other mobile device and exec who are traveling this is a huge challenge.

When this will be working ?

• Not Ranked
  • I have installed Penango on my 32-bit version of IE, created and installed a certificate from Comodo into IE (verified by going to Tools > Internet Options > Content tab > Certificates), closed IE, reopened and tried to read an S/MIME email in OWA and it still didn't work.

Security is a huge concern and OWA isn't compatible with S/MIME emails.  I should not have to tell a user that they cannot use OWA to view encrypted emails.  Lets not move backward by suggesting a third-party tool, lets move forward and create a solution that's native to OWA.

• Not Ranked
  • Microsoft - this needs to be added ASAP.

• Not Ranked
  • According to an official Office blog, S/MIME features will be added to Office 365 in the first quarter of 2014.

Source: http://blogs.office.com/2013/10/23/cloud-services-you-can-trust-security-compliance-and-privacy-in-office-365/

• S/MIME - Enables encryption of an email messages and allows for the originator to digitally sign the message to protect the integrity and origin of the message. As part of our continued investment in security technologies that Government and Security conscious customers care about, we are adding support for S/MIME for Office 365 in the first quarter of Calendar Year 2014.
    • Not Ranked
  • @Mark: Let's hope this timeline holds up

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)