No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cant Migrate Domain Management to Microsoft 365; what are my options?

• 2 Followers
  • 2 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I have been going through the steps to put my clients email domain on office 365 so they can have their custom email domain.  However this domain is used for more than just web pages.  The client needs full control of the domain name records and does not want to give up control to Microsoft 365. 

Why cant we add the nessiscary records to the clients DNS servers rather than MS taking over control of the DNS records?

It should be as simple as adding TXT, A and MX records. 

Let me know my options.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi HMI,

For Office 365 for Professionals and Small Businesses users, typically, when small business owners add their domain to Microsoft Office 365 for professionals and small businesses, they update the name server records for their domain name to point to Office 365-hosted name servers so Office 365 manages their DNS records. Office 365 then creates all the DNS records that are required for the domain name to work with each service, such as Microsoft Exchange Online, Lync Online, and SharePoint Online. This simplifies the process of setting up Office 365.

However, if you want to use your domain name with Office 365 without redirecting your name server records to Office 365, you need to configure the required DNS records yourself, using the information in this article.
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh416759.aspx

For Office 365 for Enterprises users, when you’re prompted to choose the services you want to use with the domain after adding your domain to Office 365, select Exchange Online, Lync Online, or both. Then go through the Add a domain wizard again, but this time, add a subdomain to Office 365 with the format label.contoso.com, where contoso.com is the custom domain name you added earlier. Replace label with the value that completes the website address for the site that you want to host on SharePoint Online.
    For example, if your domain name is fourthcoffee.com, you could set label to be www so your website would be located at http://www.fourthcoffee.com/.
    At the step in the wizard where you’re prompted to choose domain services, select only SharePoint Online.

For the detailed information, you can refer the article: Use SharePoint Online on a custom domain together with other services.
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/jj128104.aspx

If the above information doesn’t answer your question, please provide the detailed information about the situation, such as Office 365 subscription type (Plan P1, or Plan E), the user’s detailed requirement.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)