No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook 2010 Will Not Connect to Office 365 E-Mail Account

• 3 Followers
  • 10 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Suddenly, yesterday morning, Outlook 2010 would no longer connect to my Office 365 e-mail account.  I simply get the yellow warning triangular in the lower right corner of the Outlook 2010 home page with the message "Trying to connect..."  Prior to the problem occurring, I had not touched any settings in Outlook 2010 nor in Office 365.  In fact, I still haven't touched any of the settings.  I have only one Office 365 account connected to Outlook 2010, and I have not tried to add any new accounts (recently or in the past).  I can access my Office 365 e-mail account through Outlook Web Access, but mine is a high e-mail volume business, and I really need the speed and convenience of the Outlook 2010 user interface. Help!

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hi Indybee,

Thanks for posting here.
    I understand that your Outlook client could not connect to Exchange server with the message “Trying to connect…”, and you are able to access the account with Outlook Web App (OWA).

Since it works fine in OWA, the issue you experiencing should be a client-side issue. To help us narrow down, would you please turn off Cached Exchange mode and see if any improvement?

If in online mode, Outlook can connect to Microsoft Exchange and folders are up-to-date, you may leave it in online mode and then switch it to cached mode a few minutes later.

If the issue persists in online, please create a new Outlook mail profile, and re-add your account and then check the issue, to determine if it is caused by the corrupted data file (.pst or .ost).

How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Thank you for your response, Grace.  Once I turned off Cached Exchange mode, Outlook 2010 could no longer connect to the server.  The only way for me to get past the Outlook 2010 splash page and get to the inbox was to select the option in which I opened the Outlook 2010 client in Offline mode.

I'm prepared to take the next steps you suggest in your message above, BUT I need further explanations (and, perhaps, some assurance that, by "creating a new Outloook mail profile," I'm not going to lose any e-mails stored in my Outlook folders).  So, two specific questions:

1.  When I create a new Outlook mail profile, what happens to my old Outlook mail profile?  Do I care?  Do I need to take any steps to preserve any settings or data before I create a new Outlook mail profile?

2.  Before I "re-add my account," do I need to remove my old account?  Again, do I need to take any steps to preserve any settings or data before I "re-add my account" or, if suggested by you, remove my old account?

Thanks,

Indybee

• Not Ranked
  • Grace, I didn't hear from you or your department, so I went ahead and created a new Outlook mail profile, which included inputting information about my Office 365 e-mail account and connecting to the Exchange server.  After that was complete, I opened Outlook 2010, and the client began the process of updating my inbox and other e-mail folders.  The process seems to be going smoothly.  However, do I need to do anything about my old Outlook mail profile?  Would it be better if I deleted it?  Or, would that be ill-advised?  Please let me know.

Best,

Indybee

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Indybee,

Thanks for your update about the status on your side.
    For the two questions:
    1) When I create a new Outlook mail profile, what happens to my old Outlook mail profile? Do I care? Do I need to take any steps to preserve any settings or data before I create a new Outlook mail profile?

In general, an Outlook profile contains configuration information for email accounts, data files, and information about where your email items are saved. Please feel free about the old Outlook e-mail profile, and it will not take effect on the previous profile when creating a new one. Each Outlook profile is separate.

2) Before I "re-add my account," do I need to remove my old account? Again, do I need to take any steps to preserve any settings or data before I "re-add my account" or, if suggested by you, remove my old account?
    It does not need to remove the Exchange Online account from the previous Outlook mail profile and you can add it again to the new profile.

Based on the current situation that emails are up-to-date after your configure a new profile and add the account, you can choose to use the new created profile instead of the original one.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Thanks, Grace.  One last question:  My Archive Folders do not appear in the Outlook client, now that I've created a new Outlook e-mail profile and re-added my Office 365 e-mail account to the client.  Only the "current" folders appear and are populating.  Where are the Archive Folders?  And, how do I get them to appear in the Outlook client just as they did before?  I need access to Archive Folders in my business.

Thanks,

Indybee

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Indybee,

Would you please confirm the Archive Folders you mentioned is local Outlook auto Archive or Exchange Online Archive mailbox?
    If it is the first scenario, when you create a new Outlook mail profile, it needs to re-configure it on the current profile. Therefore, would you please refer to the detailed steps below and configure Archive again?
    Archive items manually
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/archive-items-manually-HA010355564.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi, Grace,

Thanks for your message.  The Archive Folders I mentioned are local Outlook auto-archive folders.  Now that I've created a new mail profile, I need those existing Archive Folders available to the Outlook client using the new mail profile.  The most important thing is that those local files are not deleted (or have not been deleted).  But, almost just as important is that those existing Archive Folders be available to me now through the Outlook client now that I'm using the new mail profile.  Plus, I would like the next auto-archive to add archived e-mail messages to those existing Archive Folders.  I don't want to have multiple Archive Folders for the same personal e-mail folder.  Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Indybee

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Indybee,

Thanks for your update.
    Do you mean that there already exists an Archive mailbox in your account when you create a new Outlook profile? If it is the case, you should have enable Archive Mailbox for your Exchange Online account on your side. After enable Archive mailbox feature, we can access the archive mailbox from all most anywhere in any Outlook profile, which is different from the local auto-archive.

Therefore, as you would like to use one Archive for your Exchange Online account, you are able to continue using the online Archive mailbox or enable local auto-archive for the new profile.

More information about archive mailbox, please see the following article:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.enablearchivemailbox.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • No, not really.  As I said, now that I've created a new Outlook profile and re-added my Office 365 e-mail account, I no longer have access -- through the Outlook 2010 client -- to any of the Archive Folders that were created when I was using my old Outlook profile -- before the error arose.  I can't view my Archive Folders from the client, and I have no idea where they are stored on my hard drive.  Presumably, they are stored locally on my hard drive somewhere.  But, even if they are stored on my hard drive somewhere, I can no longer access them using the Outlook client, and that is a huge source of stress and strain.  I can set up new Archive Folders -- that's not a problem.  But, I don't want to.  I want to have access to my old Archive Folders -- created before the error arose and I created a new Outlook profile -- and use those existing Archive Folders to continue archiving my e-mails going forward.  Does that make sense?  This is really unnerving.  Help!

• Not Ranked
  • Indybee,
    Outlook archived items is moved to a separated Outlook Data File (.pst) in the local, so those archived items can be accessed at any time by opening the file, which location should be like drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder
    So, you can restore the previous archive folder items by importing the PST file with the method descripted in the article:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/restore-and-view-archived-items-HP005242679.aspx?CTT=1
    • Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)