No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to Set Up a "Common User Mailbox" or "Shared Account"

• 3 Followers
  • 18 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Not Answered This question is not answered

My company somewhat recently made the move to Office 365. We have no IT staff here, and my team has been figuring things out as we've gone along.

Basically, here's our scenario and needs:

We have a sales team of three people- the two sales rep and me, who does admin for them. 

We have separate lists of contacts that are our prospects/customers divided up by territory between the two reps. There are a total of four lists, with thousands of contacts.

What we want is to be able to share the contact lists between the three of us, with edit permissions, and access via Outlook 2010 and two iPhones.

We have been coming up with workarounds for this since we started. At the moment, each rep is individually sharing their lists with me. The lists were originally under my account, as I was doing all the editing (they sent emails or gave me notes on paper that I manually entered into our database). I exported their lists, emailed it them, opened it up under their account and loaded it into Outlook. Then, I shared their lists with me. Now, this is only sharing between two people at a time- the one rep and me, then the other rep and me. This was the only way to have the lists show up on their phones. My boss, the first sales rep, would like to have both sets of lists available to him, both on Outlook and on his phone, as he needs to be able to contact all of our prospects/customers, not just the ones in his territory.

From what I've been reading, I understand that there is a way to set up a "common user mailbox" or "shared account." We should be able to share the contacts (and possibly a calendar) with each other by being able to access this common account. 

My main question is this: Will we be able to access this second account on the the two iPhones as well as on Outlook? In a perfect world, we'd have editing rights on the phones, but this isn't necessary. 

Now here is the second angle:

Right now, we have four accounts with Office 365. We originally had three sales reps, but one has left the company. This account is fully licensed. Can we use this account to share?  

I apologize if I sound frustrated- I am. We have poured hours into this. We're a small company of less than 25 people and no resources to spend so much time on this. We've been promised everything under the sun- that this sharing thing is exactly what Office 365 was designed to do. It seems so silly for this to be such an issue. 

I've worked a tiny bit with PowerShell and am somewhat comfortable on it, but I really don't understand how that's thrown around as an easy solution for most problems. I'm just looking for someone to please help us out. Step by step instructions, a walk through, anyone who I could possibly talk to on the phone? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

If you have questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thanks,

Katie

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Katie

If you were an AppRiver customer, i could of had this fixed for you, but your not, so i will try to help you as much as i can

First off, lets talk about the iPhone. You cannot open shared contacts on an iPhone, you can only open up certain accounts. So, If you want to do that, then yes, you can create a full mailbox with that extra license and just give the login/pass to everyone and they can add that extra account to the iPhones. That would be one way to do it. You basically just have everyone log into that extra account as well as there own account.

The other way to do it would be to make a shared list in sharepoint and get a sharepoint app to go on your iPhone/iPad or whatever. Then you can access sharepoint from your devices.

Hope this helps

David Petree - Microsoft MCC/MCP

Solutions Engineer - AppRiver

http://my365support.com

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Would this second account work in Outlook, too? I'm asking because right now I'm trying to load the second account into Outlook and I don't think you can have two exchange accounts running at the same time.

• Not Ranked
  • Yea, it would be just like adding another account to outlook

• Top 50 Contributor
  • And again, if I need to use PowerShell for any of this, I'd really like instructions and/or a walkthrough. I don't want to screw things up because I didn't understand something.

• Not Ranked
  • Okay, I've got it loaded into Outlook on my computer, and can view the contacts. Do I just do the same with the other two computers, and then the iPhones?

• Not Ranked
  • yes

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Before I do anything else, I'd like to know if this is right route to take. This is probably our third "workaround" and I don't want to change things again unless it will work. How do I know this is going to work on the iPhones? Is there anything I need to do with permissions? From what I've read, PowerShell is needed but I haven't seen any step by step instruction.

Can I get anything other than one-worded answers?

• Not Ranked
  • Just set it up on the iphone and see if it works.. You can connect multiple accounts to iPhone

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Okay, I'm not going to ask my boss to work on his phone unless I really know what I'm doing. I'm not trying to be a jerk here- I've barely worked on the iPhones, so I don't want to screw things up. I'd rather not be fumbling with my boss' phone, especially since I'll be messing with the account settings.

And again, I've seen that PowerShell is needed for setting up this shared account. I don't want to start working on my boss' phone before I tackle going through PowerShell.

• Not Ranked
  • ok,have a great day

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Are you kidding me?

• Not Ranked
  • What do you mean? I told you how you can accomplish what you need do to, your last post said you were not going to change the iPhone stuff and you wanted to read up on powershell. what do you want more from me?

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Okay, I'm not going to ask my boss to work on his phone unless I really know what I'm doing. I'm not trying to be a jerk here- I've barely worked on the iPhones, so I don't want to screw things up. I'd rather not be fumbling with my boss' phone, especially since I'll be messing with the account settings.

And again, I've seen that PowerShell is needed for setting up this shared account. I don't want to start working on my boss' phone before I tackle going through PowerShell.

That was the last thing you said,,, so i said "OK"

What else can i answer for you?

• Top 50 Contributor
  • nothing?

Let me explain some things.

1. I do not work for Microsoft. As i said in the first post, if you were an AppRiver customer, this would of been compleated for you.

2. You CANNOT open shared contacts on an iPhone. This is a limitation with Apple and iOS. SO no matter what you do with Powershell, you CANNOT get shared info on your iPhone.

3. If you just use that other license as a regular account, and give everyone access to it (username/pass), you can setup that account on everyones Outlook/iphone and be able to see the contacts.

I explained all of this in all of the post above but you keep goign back to powershell. Understand that you are NOT using powershell or setting up a "Shared" contacts.. you are just creating another account and giving everyone access to it.

I am just trying to help you get it fixed, its up to you to take the info and do something with it. I know for a 100% fact that it will work the way i said, as i have done it.

Hope this helps

Have a wonderful day

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1|2|