Archive not showing MSOffice Outlook Client

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Previous Post: After several calls to O365 tech support being given much misinformation, I was finally told that the Professional Plus Suite was required for Archiving of any sort to show in Outlook. Support referrenced a pdf on MS website, Office 2010 Suite and Version Comparison Guide, noted on page 17 to make case. But in the first paragraph on a MS instruction link below states: "The archived messages reside in the cloud, and users can access it from any computer using Microsoft Outlook 2010 or Outlook Web App."  help.outlook.com/.../ms.exch.ecp.enablearchivemailbox.aspx There is no mention that it must be Outlook from a specific Office suite. If it is truely a limitation of the Outlook and what suite it was purchased with Archive feature seems to be sold without giving requirements.

Specifics:

Required large archive, user was consistently hitting 25 GB limit in main mailbox. Customer has 36 users on Plan E1. Purchased alacart for user in question: Exchange Online Plan 2 (along with Lync 1 and SharePoint 1).  Enabled archive on a user via portal. It shows in OWA, but not Outlook 2010. Test emails have been moved into Archive from OWA, it functions. Exchange Online Plan 2 is required for archive to not be included in the total 25GB mailbox, but to allow a 25GB mailbox and 100GB Archive.

User has Windows 7 Pro, Office 2010 Home and Business,  Office Desktop Configuration Download was used to setup. New Outlook profile was created, oft cache removed, recreated, etc. Another user with similar workstation type configured with an enabled archive on a straight E1 plan with same results.

Other Community Posts on Same Subject:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/160/p/34446/140611.aspx?PageIndex=2

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/158/t/51993.aspx

I had never heard that the different Suites had different versions of software in them, just different software included (ie, word, excel, etc). It's known that Outlook has always had enhanced features if it was used with an Exchange server, but different versions of Outlook is news to me. My questions are:

Can an Archive only be seen in OWA and not in Outlook due to software suite installed?

If it can be used with Outlook, what is necessary to make it useable and visable.

Any assistance to resolve or clarify this issue is appreciated.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hello L Haun,

Do you mean that you cannot see Archive mailbox at Outlook 2010, after enable Archive function at Exchange Control Panel (ECP)?

As for the first question:
    For detailed information about the features in different suites of Outlook 2010, I sincerely suggest post the question in the following forum about Outlook IT Pro Discussions to get an exact answer of the question. Thanks for understanding.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/

As for the second question:
    You may refer to the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.
    1. Refer to the following website to test the Autodicover service of the Office 365 account is working well.
    https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ 

2. Test whether the same issue occurs at another computer at another network environment, such as home network, to narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Thanks,
    Claud

• The answer is yes to that "Did I mean that you cannot see Archive mailbox at Outlook 2010, after enable Archive function at Exchange Control Panel (ECP)?"

I ran the test you show below and autodiscover does test successfully on the client workstation.

I created a Outlook profile on a different network with Outlook that has the MS Office Professional Plus 2010 and I can see the Archive mailbox. Both have the same Outlook Version: 14.0.6112.5000, but one is 32bit, other 64.

I know you suggest I post in the Outlook Forum, but other than my last two questions below, my issues are mostly with Office 365's features, how they are sold and supported.

My conclusion to this issue is that you can NOT use the archive feature with Outlook 2010 unless your software was purchased through MS Volume Licensing or go up to the hefty $20 per month E3 or above plan which includes a special version of Outlook. See: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2003.clients-that-support-the-exchange-2010-personal-archive-en-us.aspx and http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/license-requirements-for-personal-archive-and-retention-policies-HA102576659.aspx?redir=0

The problem with this is that Office 365 Exchange Online Plan 2 (which is part of E3 & E4) says that Archive is included without saying anywhere that one needs a specific Outlook 2010 version, purchased with only specific Office Suites. It is not common knowledge that there is any differences in Outlook 2010 software. There is absolutly no difference in the file, help, About Microsoft Outlook between Pro Plus and Home & Business Versioning other than that it is "part of" whatever suite. This at best very misleading and incredibly frustrating. Below are the questions I'm requesting to be answered:

1) After enabling the Archive function at Exchange Control Panel (ECP) for a user in either plan E1 or Exchange Onlinen Plan 2, why are we not notified plainly that this feature is not available in Outlook 2010 unless certain, very specific software licensing exists? Why is there not a notification in the Office 365 main sales web pages?

2) I called to clarify before I even purchased different O365 licenses. Why does it take 3 support calls with unknowledgable sales and techs along with much tail chasing to find out this information?

3) Why does this document that specifically referrences Office 365 http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.enablearchivemailbox.aspx incorrectly say "The archived messages reside in the cloud, and users can access it from any computer using Microsoft Outlook 2010 or Outlook Web App."?

4) With the "Anytime Upgrade" on the user's workstation that is licensed for Home and Business there is not even a choice to purchase Professional Plus, only Professional. I'd imagine that most Outlook licensing with small businesses is "retail or OEM" and Office 365 seems to be appealing to this demographic. Why does this difference in Outlook 2010 software even exist?

5) Other than purchasing E3 or above, how does one purchase Professional Plus (small companies are mostly retail or oem, not volume licensing)? What is the correct path for this?

• Hi L Haun, 

According to your reply , there are two Outlook versions, Outlook 2010 and Outlook in Office Professional plus. One is 32 bit, and the other is 64 bit. I would like to confirm that is your Outlook 2010 32 bit or 64 bit?

Based on my experience, the archive feature should work for Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2010(32 bits). I did make my Office 365 archive mailbox available on my Outlook 2007 before. To experience a full set features of Exchange Online, we generally recommend customers to choose a 32bit Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010. Please confirm this on your side.

Thanks,

Allen Qiu

• Allen, thanks for the post. But it DOES work on the 64bit installation of Office Professional Plus, NOT on the 32bit installation of Home & Business. All in question is 2010 Office. Might someone at MS be able to answer my specific questions 1 through 5 above?

• L Haun,

EXCELLENT list of questions, and you are not alone.  There are many of us with this same problem.  Very misleading from Microsoft, and this has really thrown a curve ball for our MSO365 rollout plan.  Almost all of our users have Office 2010 OEM, which does not allow the personal archive to display.  I do not have the budget (nor the sense) to enroll them all in the E3 plan to get the archive.  Microsoft really needs to respond to this as the "advertising" is misleading.

Jeff

• This is pretty daft... why would the version of Outlook that comes with Office 2010 Professional not support Archives?!  Makes no sense to me.

office.microsoft.com/.../license-requirements-for-personal-archive-and-retention-policies-HA102576659.aspx

• Yes I feel pretty silly. Am I the only one on the planet that didn't know that there was a difference in Outlook based on what Suite/Edition it was purchased with? I have scoured the web to find this information without great success. Here is one reference:

www.walkeritg.com/.../understanding-exchange-2010-personal-archive-requirements

But I still have not been able to find this reference in any sales materials for Office 2010, only . See:

technet.microsoft.com/.../ee523662

www.microsoftstore.com/.../pbPage.Office_Compare_Editions

Does anyone else have any information on this? Is it widely known that Outlook 2010 is a different product depending on what suite it is purchased with or did I unwittingly get let in on the "secret"?

• Hello L Haun,

Thanks for your feedback.
    I understand that you have concern about that the official article and sales person doesn’t mention the license restrict of Archive function.

Based on the current situation, please refer to the following link to submit a feedback to submit the concern about the article and license restriction cause the issue. With all your efforts, the article will be updated better to suit the situation. Thanks for understanding.
    http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135

Moreover, if you need to get detailed information about sales and billing issue, please refer to the following article to contact sales and billing team.
    For Plan P1 users:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/ff652569.aspx 
    For Plan E users:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff652548.aspx

Thanks,
    Claud

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Claude, thanks for your response. I ask again, is there anyone monitoring this forum that can answer my quesions? I have asked very specific questions that are not answered in the Online Help, as you suggest. This is not a sales/billing issue but rather a feature/function issue.  I have omitted #2 and #3 as they are less important to resolving this issue and more of a frustration with being given incorrect information, but here are my main questions again:

1) After enabling the Archive function at Exchange Control Panel (ECP) for a user in either plan E1 or Exchange Onlinen Plan 2 (archive feature is available in both plans), why are we not notified plainly that this feature is not available in Outlook 2010 unless certain and that very specific software licensing requirements exists? Why is there not a notification in the Office 365 main sales web pages of this difference?

4) With the "Anytime Upgrade" on the user's workstation that is licensed for 2010 Home and Business there is not even a choice to purchase Professional Plus, only Professional. I'd imagine that most Outlook licensing with small businesses is "retail or OEM" and Office 365 seems to be appealing to this demographic. It is not widley known that there are differnt versions of Outlook 2010. Why does this difference in Outlook 2010 software even exist?

5) Other than purchasing E3 or above, how does one purchase Professional Plus (small companies are mostly retail or oem, not volume licensing)? What is the correct path for this?

Simply - Why is archive a feature available in all E and Exchange Plans, but not available for use in some licenses of Outlook 2010?

• This is all just stupid.  I am switching to another host, and I have to say, that I NEVER knew there was such a limitation in the standard vs. pro plus versions of outlook.  M$, Why do you have to make everythign so dang complicated!!!!

I guess there's no way to upgrade a Standard office to Pro Plus office?

• There is the answer

office.microsoft.com/.../license-requirements-for-personal-archive-and-retention-policies-HA102576659.aspx

• Eric,

We all know that this is the answer.  It is, however, ludicrous.  Why in the world would MS not allow users of current MSOffice 2010 Professional products (OEM, retail) to access a personal archive for MSO365?  I had just upgraded my entire organization with MSOffice Pro 2010 shortly before we started our migration to MSO365.  Now we have to abort all of those and go with an E3 plan?  Makes no sense.  And, further, why did the MSO365 sales pitch not inform me of this limitation.  All I was told was, "yes, your Office 2010 Professional versions will work fine with MSO365".

Someone from Microsoft REALLY needs to read this and answer L Haun's 3 questions above.

Jeff Hayward

• Hello L Huan,

For the concern about software restriction with different versions of Office 2010, I sincerely suggest post the concern at the following forum about Outlook IT Pro Discussions to get detailed information about it. Thanks for understanding.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/

Moreover, in the Office 365 plan that doesn’t include Office Profession Plus license, you can purchase additional license for Office Professional Plus at the current Office 365 plan.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Hello Shanghai-Knight and Jeff,

Thanks for posting here.
    If you need assistance on the issue, I sincerely suggest post it in a new thread in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks for understanding,
    Claud

• Jeff and L.Haun, just ran across this myself while evaluating O365 and found your thread. Unbelievable (actually, not really - MS has the most complex and convoluted licensing of any company) - or least extremely disconcerting.

If they want companies to move to O365, why are they so many roadblocks, restrictions, nuances? My evaluation document is a continuous list of exceptions, limitations and work-arounds.

Good thing for MS that Google's offering is worse (from our perspective).