No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cloud Only to Hyrbid Deployment

• 2 Followers
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Is there a documented procedure or technical article which discusses how to move from an Office 365 deployment (ADFS/DirSync deployed) to a Hybrid deployment?  The scenario I'm working with has an AD environment where Exchange has never been installed before.  Users were migrated to Office 365 from a non-MS messaging platform. To address some application requirements, a local install of Exchange 2010 is now required.  Any help or links would be appreciated.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi KellyC,

Thanks for your update.

I understand you’d like to modify the local AD accounts to configure the hybrid.

With SSO (Single Sign-on), Office 365 uses the local AD credentials to organize Online users. If you modify any local AD accounts, the changing will certainly affect the online users.Therefore, it’s not recommended to modify your local AD users.

As you need to deploy on-premise Exchange server, it’s not recommended to migrate any Exchange Online users to the on-premise server.

To deploy hybrid, I suggest you refer to the above Hybrid deployment articles.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi KellyC,

I understand you prefer to install Exchange 2010 and deploy a hybrid environment with your company which has Office 365 (ADFS/DirSync) deployed.

Generally, we would deploy hybrid based on an Exchange on-premise deployed environment. However, it’s also ok to deploy hybrid by deploying an Exchange on-premise server based on Exchange Online.

We can refer to the hybrid deployment article and assistant to do so.
    Exchange Hybrid Deployment and Migration with Office 365
    Exchange Server Deployment Assistant
    Hybrid Deployments

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Thanks for the reply, but I dont think the links below address the particular situation I was referring to. Implementing Hybrid mode initially is relatively straightforward, however introducing an Exchange server after you have already moved all users to the cloud is quite different. I think my question is more specific to how will the local AD accounts need to be modified to work with the mailbox accounts currently in the cloud.  For example will the local AD accounts need to be changed into Mail Enabled Users with the appropriate target addresses, and if so will this impact the cloud mailboxes since these are the same accounts which are replicated by DirSync?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi KellyC,

Thanks for your update.

I understand you’d like to modify the local AD accounts to configure the hybrid.

With SSO (Single Sign-on), Office 365 uses the local AD credentials to organize Online users. If you modify any local AD accounts, the changing will certainly affect the online users.Therefore, it’s not recommended to modify your local AD users.

As you need to deploy on-premise Exchange server, it’s not recommended to migrate any Exchange Online users to the on-premise server.

To deploy hybrid, I suggest you refer to the above Hybrid deployment articles.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi KellyC,

How are things going on your side? In addition, do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Thanks Evan. I've reviewed the links, and it looks like moving from cloud only to a complete hybrid model isn't a supported scenario.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)