No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Hybrid Configuration Question

• 2 Followers
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
I am in the middle of setting up an Exchange 2010 SP2 Hybrid Server with CAS and HT.  We are going to continue routing our mail through our on-premis 2007 CAS/HT server from the Internet.  The hybrid server will be used for moving mailboxes and routing mail to 365.  OWA and ActiveSync will still be pointed to the 2007 server.  Currently out external url for OWA is mail.company.com and the hybrid server will be hybrid.company.com.  The ultimate goal is to have all our mailboxes in the cloud, but that could be a year before we get there.  At some point we want to move mail routing, OWA and ActiveSync to the hybrid server.  Can we decommision our 2007 CAS/HT server and move these services to the 2010 hybrid server, and how complicated is that?  The mailbox server on-premis will still be a 2007 Exchange server.  I guess the other question is should I setup the hybrid server to be mail.company.com from the start for OWA and ActiveSync?  I am a little confused as to the best way to setup this hybrid environment, if at one point in the future it is all going away.
  • Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi JeffMan,

I understand there is already an existing Autodiscover record for your on-premises organization. Since the hybrid deployment is between the CAS role in the hybrid server and Exchange Online, changing the Autodiscover record to the hybrid server is to make the configuration wizard detect services in the hybrid server correctly. Otherwise, some of the hybrid feature will fail in the deployment process.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi JeffMan,

If your long term goal is to move all the mailboxes to the cloud, I just recommend you to set up a standard Hybrid environment by referring to the Exchange Hybrid Deployment and Migration with Office 365 and the  Exchange Server Deployment Assistant. As far as I know, the hybrid server license is free and which is dedicated for Exchange Hybrid Deployment with Office 365. Unfortunately, it is not allowed to move the CAS/HT roles to the hybrid server.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
    Suggested by
  • Ok, so basically your saying we can't move routing, OWA, or ActiveSync to the hybrid server?  I am fine with that as it sounds like it would be a headache to do it.  I have been following the deployment assistant, but thought maybe a couple of the services could be moved over to the hybrid server.  I was just concerned with the FQDN's on the servers and how that would work to change them, but since we can't do it I'm good!

• Not Ranked
  • Now the question arises that if the hybrid server cannot be used for these roles why is it required, by the deployment assistant,  to set the Autodiscover record up to point to the hybrid server?  Why wouldn't I leave the autodiscover record pointing to the on-premis CAS server?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi JeffMan,

I understand there is already an existing Autodiscover record for your on-premises organization. Since the hybrid deployment is between the CAS role in the hybrid server and Exchange Online, changing the Autodiscover record to the hybrid server is to make the configuration wizard detect services in the hybrid server correctly. Otherwise, some of the hybrid feature will fail in the deployment process.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Thank you!  I believe I am starting to understand the hybrid server role better.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)