No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Eamil - almost set up but not quite

• 2 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

OK, so I set up my domain and that is good, I think.  I looked over the IMAP settings to get my email working, I think I am good.  I created my account in Outlook 2007 and low and behold my inbox starts to populate with all my emails.  Sounds great. 

I go to a web based email system and send a test email.  It doesn't get through.  My web based system gets an error message:

.........................................................................................

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

ken@ktharper.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

DNS Error: DNS server returned answer with no data

Question is the problem with my DNS or email (I can't imagine my email settings are wrong.  Shall I go back to Melbourne IT and double check my settings?

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
  • Hi ktharper,

Thanks for your update.
    I have also checked the domain and noticed that your domain’s default TTL is set to 86400 hours (1 day) and the required MX record is can’t be queried.

Generally, if the created TXT/MX record is correct, please wait for at least 72 hours to ensure this record propagated through the DNS system. In addition, as the TTL of this record is set to 24 hours (we recommend set it to 3600 seconds), it will also increase the required time to propagate. So, please re-create the required records at your domain registrar and let the TTL to 3600 seconds. Then, wait for at least 72 hours to ensure the records can be propagated successfully.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Ktharper,

Thanks for your update.
    I would like to confirm if you want to enable Exchange Online service to handle email for this custom domain name. I checked this domain and found the MX record is not pointing to Office 365, and it may be resulting that you are not receive emails and can send successfully.

Therefore, if it is the situation that you want to add this domain to Office 365 and use it for mail service, it needs to verify it to Office 365 successfully and then change MX record to Exchange Online from your previous mail server.

In general, we need to add a TXT or MX record for domain verification. In the current situation that you are not able to add the TXT record, you may choose to add MX record or contact your domain registrar to help you add the required DNS records.

For more information about verify and add a custom domain to Office 365, please see the articles below:
    Add your domain to Office 365:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637620.aspx

Verify your domain to Office 365:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/gg584188.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
All Replies
  • Hi ktharper,

Thanks for posting here.
    I understand that you send a test email to the email address, and experienced this issue. Is it right?
    I have checked this domain name by using Nslookup command-online tool. It seems that you have added this domain to Office 365 and it has been verified successfully. In general, if you would like to enable Exchange Online to handle email for your domain, it needs to add a MX record and CNAME record at your domain registrar (Melbourne IT). According to the Nslookup result, the required MX and CNAME record can’t be queried.

Based on the current situation, please check if you have created these required DNS records. If not, please gather these DNS settings information and add them at your registrar.
    Click the domain name that you want to set up, and then click the DNS settings tab. The DNS settings page lists the DNS records for your Office 365 services.

In addition, when you say “looked over the IMAP settings to get my email working”, do you mean connect your Exchange Online account with IMAP connection in Outlook 2007?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi ktharper,

How are things going? Is there any update on the status of the issue?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I set my MX = ktharper.com. and address = mail (probably not right) what should this be

set my CNAME HOST = www ( was sure I put in www.ktharper.com.) and ponts to = ktharper.com. (assume I have errors here too)

have no idea how my A record should read

What should I put into these fields... am using MelbourneIT?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi ktharper,

Thanks for your update.
    I have also checked the domain and noticed that your domain’s default TTL is set to 86400 hours (1 day) and the required MX record is can’t be queried.

Generally, if the created TXT/MX record is correct, please wait for at least 72 hours to ensure this record propagated through the DNS system. In addition, as the TTL of this record is set to 24 hours (we recommend set it to 3600 seconds), it will also increase the required time to propagate. So, please re-create the required records at your domain registrar and let the TTL to 3600 seconds. Then, wait for at least 72 hours to ensure the records can be propagated successfully.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I have changed my TTL to 3600.

Was my CNAME setting correct as:

HOSTNAME = www

POINTS TO ktharper.com.

What should my A RECORD be set at?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ktharper,

For CNAME record, the hostname is WWW, and the points to should be value on the DNS manager. After you add your domain to Office 365, you can add or change custom DNS records for the domain in Office 365 by doing the following.

1. On the Admin page, in the left pane, under Management, click Domains.
    2. On the Domains page, select a domain name, and then click Manage.
    3. On the DNS manager tab, you can find the points to address for CNAME and A records for the domain.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Top 10 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi Ktharper,

Have you checked the above information provided by Monica? Is there any update on your side?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Grace,

I did  review her message and I am still having problems.

Let me go over my setting and please tell me what I need to change

my CNAME is set to:

HOSTNAME = www

POINTS TO = www.ktharper.com.

my MX record is set to:

HOSTNAME = ktharper.com.

ADDRESS = www

I have no TXT record and

no A record

I can send emails but can not receive them.  Please tell me what settings to use.  I obviously have no idea!

Thank you

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ktharper,

Thanks for your update.
    I would like to confirm if you want to enable Exchange Online service to handle email for this custom domain name. I checked this domain and found the MX record is not pointing to Office 365, and it may be resulting that you are not receive emails and can send successfully.

Therefore, if it is the situation that you want to add this domain to Office 365 and use it for mail service, it needs to verify it to Office 365 successfully and then change MX record to Exchange Online from your previous mail server.

In general, we need to add a TXT or MX record for domain verification. In the current situation that you are not able to add the TXT record, you may choose to add MX record or contact your domain registrar to help you add the required DNS records.

For more information about verify and add a custom domain to Office 365, please see the articles below:
    Add your domain to Office 365:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637620.aspx

Verify your domain to Office 365:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/gg584188.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi ktharper,

I want to check if your issue has been resolved.
    If you need further assistance, please feel free to reply to me.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Grace,

My email is up and running.  Thanks for staying with me through this.  Next month some time I will post another question about getting my web site up and running.  I assume that should be another thread.

Thanks again

Ken Harper

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ken,

We appreciate your update and glad to hear you are able to send/receive emails now.
    For the website issue, we recommend creating a new dedicated thread as you have known, to avoid confusing and find out the root cause effectively, so that we can dig deeper on this issue. Thank you for continuing cooperation.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)