No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Live in Singapore, why mail server address is from HongKong?

• 3 Followers
  • 3 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Added few user accounts from same workstation same IP thru autodiscover, some mail servers look like hosted in Singapore (eg, sinprd0610.mailbox.outlook.com) while some look like in HongKong (eg, hknprd0610.mailbox.outlook.com, and hknprd0610.outlook.com for mobile access)

I understand content is hosted in "Cloud" but users still need login to one point, do users connect to HK?

Thanks 

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Sh2sg,

Thank you for your post.

Actually, Office 365 has multiple datacenters, located all over the world, hosting redundant network architecture. And The users can be homed dynamically, as datacenters can communicate with one another. The system is designed to give you a seamless and smooth experience no matter where you sign up from. And, if there is an outage at one datacenter, another can act as a backup. Customers hosted by the first datacenter are transferred to another.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • comparing with my 2 accounts on the same computer, login to sinprd0610 is faster than hknprd0610 from my location, obviously, not a big issue but just interested to know why the system puts my signing accounts in HK's datacenter instead of SG's which is much close to my location geographically and logically?

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Sh2sg,

Thank you for your reply.

Just as I mentioned in the previous post, users in Office 365 can be homed dynamically. And the server name of your mailbox in Office 365 may change over time. For example, the Host name for your mailbox will change if your user mailbox is moved to a different server for loading balance or if it is temporarily moved during a server upgrade. If users in your domain don't encounter any error when sending/receiving emails, you may safely ignore it.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)