No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook does not remember my password.

• 6 Followers
  • 11 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I was prompted to change my password a few days ago. I changed it. Since then Outlook 2010 does not remember my password. I am prompted to enter it every time I launch Outlook even though I check the option to remember the password. Very frustrating!

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Rajul,

I understand that after changing the password, Outlook 2010 keeps prompted for password.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest you run Office 365 Desktop Setup App again and do the following:
    1) Select File> Info> Account Settings
    2) Under the E-mail tab double click your Account.
    3) From the resulting Change Account Dialog select the More Settings button. From the next dialog select the Security Tab.
    4) Uncheck the check box for Always prompt for logon credentials.

Thanks,
    Larry He

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi Larry.

I downloaded and ran Office 365 Desktop Setup App again. "Always prompt for logon credentials" check box was already unchecked but I was propmted to enter password. Anyway I checked it - restarted Outlook - unchecked it - restarted Outlook again. I still have to provide password everytime I start Outlook! I verified and the check box is unchecked.

Thanks,

Rajul

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Rajul,

Please give a try about the Method 3 mentioned in the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2404385

Thanks,

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks JQQ. This worked.

• Not Ranked
  • My password expired again and Outlook does not remember the new password and prompts me to enter it every time I launch Outlook!!!

Will I have to manually setup Outlook every time my password is changed?

Thanks,

Rajul

• Not Ranked
  • No, you should just get a pop-up, update your password and click the box to remember your password. Did you check the box?

Jorge R. Diaz

Microsoft MVP | Office 365

MCITP: Office 365 Administrator

Check out my Blog

Follow Me

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Yes, I did check the box. It still prompts me everytime I launch Outlook.

Thanks,

Rajul

• Not Ranked
  • Hmm, and you are sure this is the right login ID and that you have an updated version of the Desktop Setup installed?

Jorge R. Diaz

Check out my Blog

Follow Me

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Yes I have the correct ID and password. It was working perfectly till passowrd expired and I was prompted to change the password - 2 days ago. This email account works on my iPhone and does not promt me for password every time I check email. The issue is on my laptop where I have Outlook 2010 - version 14.0.6112.5000 (64-bit)

• Not Ranked
  • Hmm, there is definetly something wrong with your Outlook instance as this isn't a common problem. Have you tried to run a repair on Outlook? If not I'd open a support ticket with Microsoft to get it fixed. You shouldn't have to do anything beyond entering your new password after it expires.

Jorge R. Diaz

Check out my Blog

Follow Me

• Top 100 Contributor
  • I have this exact same problem with one of my users.  He can log in to outlook and check the box for always remember my password, but every time we reboot the machine it prompts for his password again.  It accepts the password every time and allows him to work, but it should not be prompting him every day.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)