Conversation view problem after migrating to office 365

• 5 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 3 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

After migrating my IMAP acount to office 365, I found that in outlook all emails with the same subject were merged under the same conversation although they had nothing to do with each other (different sender).

While in my IMAP account in outlook 2010 all emails were shown in the correct conversation.

I had the same problem some time ago when I migrated all my emails from windows live mail to outllok 2010. This is a very annoying bug and I dont understand what could be so difficult for outlook to keep apart the conversatons. just merge emails with same subject AND same sender/receiver email adress.

thank you

Aki 

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Aki,

Based on your decription, it could be the IMAP email server uses different way to identify the email items is conversation or not.

For Exchange online, the system use email items' GUID and sender's information to identify the conversation. However, I don't think it will also works in IMAP server. (using GUID and sender information)

Further, If you have any questions or have additional information to add to your previous suggestion, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at mymfe.microsoft.com/.../Feedback.aspx.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • While I had my emails on the IMAP account with Outlook 2010 as email client all email conversations were fine.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Aki,

I have tested it on my side as you mentioned that you have migrated an IMAP account to Office 365, and in client Outlook, all emails with same subject were merged to a same conversion from different senders.

According to my test, it seems that it is true that if you sent out an email message to multiple recipients, all replies from these multiple recipients will be merged to a conversation when you are using client Outlook or Outlook Web App (OWA) to connect an IMAP account or an Exchange Online account.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Aki,

Eric is right. In Office 365, all the messages in the same conversation will be merged to a conversation, no matter who send the messages, and what folder they are stored in. For more information, please see Learn About Conversations.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Dear Eric, dear Reken,

I wasnt thinking about emails which I send to multiple recipients and getting answers to that specific email. I understand that this emails should be merged together. In my case - and I believer this must happen to many people as it is a standard situation.

We have an email account where we get sales inquiries or help desk questions. It is quite common that we get emails with empty subject field or with so common titles as "quotation" "offer" "please help" etc and so many others. I dont really understand how conversation view could be working as intended when you see my email inbox. I am really forced to deactivate conversation view although I love it as it helped me to track my sales inquires or support questions.

At least there could be an option where only emails with the same subject AND same sender are merged together.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Aki,

Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010/online use ConversationId to identify the email items in same conversation or not. The ConversationId generate by subject, sender, message id and so on. However, seem the  ConversationId has been changed during the migration.  Currently, we can't restore the old value of the ConversationId.

As for this case,  as a walk-around solution you can create a new custom veiw group with sender, subject and data to achieve the goal you want.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Dear Neo Zhu,

thank  you for your answer and explanation as to why conversation view is not working after migration.

Could you please explain a little bit more detailed how the work around solution can be implemented ?

thank you

Aki

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Aki,

Yes, sure. You can take a look the following picture for the detail about how to customer a group view. However, it's a walk-around solution . It's a little bit different by using conversation veiw.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • thank you Neo Zhu,

I understood now how the view settings work. And you are right its not really an alternative to conversation view.

Its still disappointing that a simple migration of emails between two products of microsoft  causes such bugs.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Aki,

It sounds the best option for you is to disable the conversation view temporarily. I apologize for this inconvenience caused by the IMAP migration. Meanwhile, please send us feedback about your concern through the following link:

http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135

We expect the behavior can be improved in the further. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Still happening after all this time? None was working to fix it?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Alexandre,

Could you please create a new thread for the troubleshooting? I’m saying this because there is a lot of service updates since from 2012, the steps on this thread may not work for you.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)