No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

I can't receive emails

• 3 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi

I've just migrated from Office Small Business Live to Office 365.  I own my domain www.pcanson.com

I can send emails from Office365 but cannot receive from external sources.

I have run the Microsoft Exchange Server Remote  Connectivity Analyzer and have received an email telling that everything is OK.  I have also recieved an email from this forum telling me that I have joined the community.  It appears that emails sent from Microsoft are received OK, anything sent from outside isn't.

Please advise

Thanks

Paul

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Paul,

Based on your description, I would like to confirm if you have changed your email address from username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com to username@yourdomain.com.

Here are the steps for your reference:

1. Log in Office 365 Portal and go to the Admin page.

2. Click Users under Management from the left navigation.

3. Check this user's display name and click Edit.

4. Go to Details under display name and check the dropdown list besides User name and select your own domain.

5. Click Save.

If you have not changed your email address to be username@yourdomain.com, other external users may not be able to send massages to this address.

Moreover, since external users could not send messages to you, will they receive any non-delivery report(NDR) for this failure? Could you please post the whole content of the NDR here for us to research?

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Paul,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Anna

I have checked the email address and it was set up correctly.  I did get some "delayed sending" messages when I sent test emails from another account, however they did come through eventually after about 12 hours and the emails seem to be coming through OK now thanks.

There has however been another related problem with one of the other email addresses on the same domain. matt@pcanson.com.  I transferred over all the email addresses including this one from Office Live to 365.  I then sent test emails to check that everything was set up correctly.  The test emails came through OK on 365 and did NOT appear in Office Live which is what I expected to happen.  

A couple of day later however we were told that an email had been sent to matt@pcanson.com but when we looked on 365 it was not there.  We logged back into Office Live and it was sitting in the inbox. This was 3 days AFTER I had transferred over to 365.  I sent another test email to matt@pcanson.com and it went straight to 365 as it should do.  Why did this 1 email get sent to the old account on Office Live when all the others have been sent to 365?

Thank you for your assistance.

Paul

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply and I am glad that after transition, you could send and receive messages successfully.

For the issue you mentioned, I would like to confirm if the problem only happened for Matt in your organization and only from the specific user who tried to send messages to Matt.

Generally, this issue could happen because the MX record has not been propagated fully. You may need to wait for some time for it.

If this issue persists, please post the email header for this message for us to further research.

Here are the general steps for how to achieve this in Outlook 2010:

1.Double click the message in Outlook 2010.

2.Click File and click Properties.

3.Copy the content from the Internet header filed.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi Anna

I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about this, but given that this is problem, I am hoping you or someone can help.

I have only just, in some what of a rush, moved from office live to 365. I have setup an email address in 365 identical to my office live email. I can send mail from this address but I can not receive mail to this address. Following your intructions above I have ensured that I have seleclted the right domain name within the user details screen. This has been ongoing for over 24hrs now and I really need to be able to send and receive emails from this address.

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi aguyfaescotland,

Thanks for posting here.

As the issue you encountered may be different from what Paul had, I would suggest you post a new thread about the detailed information of the issue you encountered and the non-delivery report(NDR) the sender received, this is so we could focus on your questions and provide more specific solutions for you.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Paul,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)