No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Exchange 2010 to Exchange Online Cutover Migration

• 3 Followers
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I have a user I'm looking at moving from Exchange 2010 to the E1 plan for Office 365.  I was reading the "Cutover Migration" and it looks simple enough.  So I'm assuming you don't run the dir sync tool at all?  The reason I ask is I'm not doing "single sign-on" since it is only about 25  users.  So let's say a new user joins the company the account would have to added manually?  Or would you then install the dir sync tool after you end the migration?

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Chris,

Based on your description, if you would like to migrate all mailboxes to the cloud with a cutover exchange migration, according to the link below:

help.outlook.com/.../ms.exch.ecp.emailmigrationwizardexchangelearnmore.aspx

"If you’ve activated and installed the Microsoft Online Services Directory Synchronization tool, you can’t run a cutover Exchange Migration. If you’ve installed the directory synchronization tool, you can deactivate directory synchronization and then run a cutover Exchange migration. "

Therefore, you do not need to run the Dir sync tool at all to run the cutover migration.

Moreover, if a new user joins the company, it is true that you have to added this user manually from Office 365 portal--Admin page. If you would like to install Dir sync tool, it is also OK after the migration which you could consider based on your requirement.

Here is some links about directory synchronization for your reference:

Active Directory synchronization: Roadmap

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff652543.aspx

Manage directory synchronization

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff652533.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Chris,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Apologies on the delay.  We haven't yet started the migration process.  Basically a customer was wondering what it is going to all entail in order ot move away from their Exchange 2010 box.  Since they won't be doing single sign-on it will take a bit more work, but nothing too drastic.  

One question though, when the mailboxes migrate to the MOP, are the users automatically created or do you have to do it manually since you aren't doing Directory Sync?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi ChrisCEC,

Cutover migration will create all the users for you in Office 365, there is no need to manually add the users, and after the migration, what you need to do is activate the users and assign Exchange online licenses to them.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi ChrisCEC,

Just checking in to see if you have any other questions.

If so, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)