No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

GrantSendOnBehalfTo Permissions for Mailbox

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I'm in the process of performing a migration to Office 365.  I have set up a mailbox and need to grant "Send on Behalf of" permissions to this mailbox for 2 users.  I ran the following command in PowerShell:

Set-Mailbox <MAILBOX> -GrantSendOnBehalfOfTo <USER MAILBOX>

When I run Get-Mailbox <MAILBOX> | fl GrantSendOnBehalfTo I can see that the permission has been granted however when I try to send an e-mail as this mailbox it bounces straight back with the following error:

You can't send a message on behalf of this user unless you have permission to do so. Please make sure you're sending on behalf of the correct sender, or request the necessary permission.

Please could someone advise as to why this is not working?

Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Hi NJC1,

Based on your description, since you have run the PowerShell command: Get-Mailbox <MAILBOX> | fl GrantSendOnBehalfTo and checked the permission has been granted successfully, I would like to confirm if this issue happens on Outlook Web App or Outlook desktop.

If it could not work on Outlook desktop, please try to send as this user in OWA and see if it helps.

Sometimes, it may need a long time for the permissions to be populated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi NJC1

Thanks for your post. setup the "sendas" (SendOnBehalfTo) permission for this case.

Add-RecipientPermission mailbox-01@domain.com -AccessRights SendAs -Trustee user-01@domain.com Detail information : help.outlook.com/.../ff852815.aspx

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Thanks Neo but why can't I configure "Send On Behalf Of" permissions as originally intended?

• Hi NJC1,

Based on your description, since you have run the PowerShell command: Get-Mailbox <MAILBOX> | fl GrantSendOnBehalfTo and checked the permission has been granted successfully, I would like to confirm if this issue happens on Outlook Web App or Outlook desktop.

If it could not work on Outlook desktop, please try to send as this user in OWA and see if it helps.

Sometimes, it may need a long time for the permissions to be populated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• HI NJC1,

I'm writing in just want to ensure that all the information Anna provided is useful for you.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Anna,

Thanks for your reply - for some reason it does work via OWA but not when I use Outlook 2010.

• Hi NJC1,

It could be sync issue of offline address book. You can try to remove the local OAB file and re-download again.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Neo,

It seems to be working now, perhaps it just took a day or so for the permissions to take effect.

Thanks to all who responded.