No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Finalizing Migration

• 5 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

My apoplogies if this question has been put out there before.

I just finished Migrating all my mail enabled objects to o365.  After I move te MX record to 365, what are the remaining steps I would need to take?  If I don't have any more mailbox on-premises, do i need an exchange server?  If I remove the last exchange server, how does that affect my mail-enabled objects.  If I am doing dirsynch, would it remove the mailbox in the cloud?\

AD 2003

Exchange 2003

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hello Carl,

Thanks for your feedback.

For the first question:
    If you don’t need on-premises Exchange environment (in other word, Office 365 only) any longer, you can remove it.

For the second question:
    It depends on different mail-enabled object.
    For example, normal user mailbox needs to be created as a user at local AD first. After it synchronizes to Office 365, assigning him Exchange Online license to enable mailbox for him.
    For other mail-enabled objects, such as distribution groups, external contacts, they can be created at Exchange Control Panel directly.

For the third question:
    Keeping on-premises Exchange server temporarily is just for testing whether everything is working properly after deploying SSO first time. If everything is working properly, you can remove it safely.

For the fourth question:
    You can refer to the following article to use ADSI Edit to manage the mail attributes of local AD users.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/diagnostic_tools/948.aspx#adsiedit

Best regards,
    Claud  

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Carl,

Please make sure that you have already moved all your contacts from your local AD to the cloud using dirsync, and you have successfully synchronized your entire mailboxes from On-Premises Exchange Server to Office 365. After that it is save to remove your On-Premises Exchange Server. You may visit following link and click on “Hybrid (On-Premises + Cloud)” for the Wizard.

technet.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

Hope this can help. Thank you.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Carl,

Thanks for the information Conn_R provided first.

The answer of these questions depends on the different environment and requirement. As a result, I would like to the following information of the issue first.
    1. Which type of the migration did you use, such as Cutover migration, Staged migration or Exchange Hybrid Deployment?
    2. Do you need to use Single Sign-On after migration?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Thank you.  I went over this and this checklist only appears to only account for creating the environment.  not decommissioning it when you are done.

• Not Ranked
  • All mailboxes are moved.  I wold have to check on contacts, DLs, and PFs.  I am told they are moved.  We did a staged migration (less than 100 users.  but this is a small business and they think small.)  SSO is deployed and will need it after.

I read this: "Decommission on-premises Exchange servers   After you’ve migrated all on-premises mailboxes to the cloud, converted all on-premises mailboxes to mail-enabled users, and have verified that all e-mail is being routed directly to the cloud mailboxes, you may no longer need to maintain all your on-premises Exchange servers for mail delivery. If this is the case, you can uninstall Exchange from your servers in your on-premises organization. However, we strongly recommended that you maintain at least one Exchange server so that you have access to Exchange System Manager (Exchange 2003) or Exchange Management Console/Exchange Management Shell (Exchange 2007) to manage mail-related attributes on the on-premises mail-enabled users. For Exchange 2007, the Exchange server that you maintain should have the Hub Transport, Client Access, and Mailbox server roles installed."

Which is what brought me to post my question?  If this a 2003 org, then I need an exchange server of some sort to continue to manage mail attributes in the cloud?  

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Carl,

Before moving on, I would like to current situation and the requirement.
    All mailboxes have been migrated to Office 365 via Staged Migration. After migration, you also need to deploy SSO for all users. Is it correct?

For the question:
    As far as I know, No. After the Exchange server has been installed, the schema of AD users is extended, such as some mail attributes. Moreover, you may refer to this thread.
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/162/p/20199/97828.aspx#97828
    Based on the current situation, it is recommended to keep the Exchange Server temporarily to test whether DirSync works properly after migration to Office 365.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • All mailboxes have been moved.  DIrsync amd SSO were deployed at the very beginning of the migration.  Both have been working the entire time.  I have successfully made modifications to mail-enabled users after migration.

So, based on the links provided.  It is safe to remove the email server.  If i want to create a new mailbox, i would

1) create the new account on the on-premises domain/forest.

2) wait for dirsync, then mail enabled the object either through remote powershell commands or through o365 portal.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Carl,

Thanks for sharing your method. Do you have any additional questions with this issue? If so, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • That was actually a question.  

If I have Disync and SSO in place and working, do I still need exchange?

If I remove exchange. how do I create mail-enabled objects?

Or basically why is it recommended to have an exchange server?  if AD accounts are still being managed on-premises and dirsync is still happeneing, how do I manage the mail attributes.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Carl,

For the first question:
    If you don’t need on-premises Exchange environment (in other word, Office 365 only) any longer, you can remove it.

For the second question:
    It depends on different mail-enabled object.
    For example, normal user mailbox needs to be created as a user at local AD first. After it synchronizes to Office 365, assigning him Exchange Online license to enable mailbox for him.
    For other mail-enabled objects, such as distribution groups, external contacts, they can be created at Exchange Control Panel directly.

For the third question:
    Keeping on-premises Exchange server temporarily is just for testing whether everything is working properly after deploying SSO first time. If everything is working properly, you can remove it safely.

For the fourth question:
    You can refer to the following article to use ADSI Edit to manage the mail attributes of local AD users.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/diagnostic_tools/948.aspx#adsiedit

Best regards,
    Claud  

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Thank you for the clarification.

• Not Ranked
  • I have a follow-up for you on this topic:

We are in the process of doing a staged migration from on-premise Exchange 2007.

Currently, when I activate a new directory-synch'd account and select all E3 options, the mailbox for that user is NOT created in Exchange Online. The admin portal displays a message that it must be syncrhronized from our on-premise server - there isn't an option/method to create the Exchange Online account.

So - once I decommission our on-premise server, how do we create new O365 users with a mailbox?

I'm assuming that once I complete O365 configuration, set it as our mail-server and update/verify DNS, then activating a new user will also create their mailbox on O365?

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi HenTech,

Generally, if we enable directory synchronization and have no on-premise Exchange service, we create a new normal user in the local AD first. After the synchronization, activate him with an Exchange Online license in Office 365. Then, his Office 365 mailbox will be created.

Moreover, if you need further assistance about the issue, please feel free to post it in a new thread in the forum. After that, our support engineer will help you in the new thread.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)