Possible to increase email attachment size limits ??

• 7 Followers
  • 13 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Just noticed although the email size limit is 25M per message, the attachment file size is actually 10M. Are there anyway to increase the attachment file size and keep the email size limit ?

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • HI KL Wong,

According to the Message and Recipient Limits, help.outlook.com/.../dd630704.aspx

"Message size limit is 25 MB which is the maximum total size of an e-mail message. The total size includes the message header, the message body, and any file attachments.

An e-mail client may limit the size of an individual file attachment to a value much less than the message size limit. In Outlook Web App, the maximum individual file attachment size is 10 MB."

Therefore, it would not be possible to increase the attachment size that you could send in Office 365 for both Enterprise version and Small Business version.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Surya Begum.

http://webteksolutions.co.uk/

http://www.office365-support.com/

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • HI KL Wong,

Thanks for Surya's response on this issue. And do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Surya,

I saw the quote you sent in many respond, but I do not understand when it say 'in outlook web app, the maximum.... is 10MB'. I am using Outlook 2010 connecting to Office365, does it classify as OWA and able to send individual attachment size larger than 10MB ?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi KL Wong,

I have tried to reproduce this issue. I can send attachment which is larger than 10M in Outlook 2010 successfully. The size of the test file is 16M.  At this point, I suggest you run the Fix It tool provided in the KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2222370.

If the issue persists, please capture a screenshot of the error message which is received when trying to send an attachment which is larger than 10M.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Mindy,

I do not have any problem sending from Outlook, but the email was rejected by Office365. I rephrase my question as follow:

I saw Surya's quoted earlier in many respond in this forum, but I do not understand when it say 'in outlook web app, the maximum.... is 10MB', does that mean the single file attachment limit only apply to OWA ?  I am using Outlook 2010 connecting to Office365, does it classify as OWA and able to send individual attachment size larger than 10MB under the Office365 environment ?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi KL Wong,

Thanks for your information .

The 10 MB maximum individual file attachment size limitation is only for OWA (Outlook Web App), and according to Mindy's test, the Outlook client can send attachment which is larger than 10MB. 

According to your situation,l suggest you test the attachment limitation of the Outlook client on your side, and if the error occurs, please refer to Mindy's suggest to run the Fix It tool for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Finally found the problem. It is not the outlook because we did not receive any error message when sending email. The hybrid server inbound connector has the message size set !! Thanks for all.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi KL Wong,

Thanks for sharing your method.

If you have any other questions when using Office 365 in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • This may identify what is causing the problem but it does not SOLVE it!.  I'm having the same problem with inbound attachments.  Can this setting be changes by admin? or Do I have to wait for an act of God?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your posting.

I understand you have the problem with inbound attachments limit. According to the discussions in this thread, this issue may mostly be caused the limitation set at the mail client or your local environment, but not with the Exchange Online limits.
    In this situation, I suggest you check the file size limit set up at the mail client or your local environment to troubleshoot this issue.

If you can’t find any problem, then, I’d like to confirm the following details with you:
    1, Are you using OWA or any mail client?
    2, Can you reproduce this issue in another environment?
    3, What is the limitation of the file size?
    4, Does this issue occur with internal deliver (From one Office 365 user to another)?

In addition, for us to better follow up your questions, I suggest posting a new thread in the forum with the above information provided.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • what about the active sync devices maximum individual attachment size ?

• Not Ranked
  • Message size limit 25MB  

The maximum total size of an e-mail message. The total size includes the message header, the message body, and any file attachments.

Note   An e-mail client may limit the size of an individual file attachment to a value much less than the message size limit. For example, in Outlook Web App, the maximum individual file attachment size is 10 MB.

These are absolute limits and if you are having problems sending via Outlook then you need to look at the setup of your on-prem Exchange server for any limitations. By default Office365 allows the full limit which can be reduced but not increased.

Stephen Pothecary

Cloud Services Engineer

PCS Business Systems

Guru365

• Not Ranked
  • You wrote that in Office 365 the limit can be reduced  but in the EMC that option is greyed out on accounts  & via powershell

-MaxSendSize &   -MaxReceiveSize  aren't  recognized parameters for Set-Mailbox , Set-TransportConfig, Set-SiteMailboxProvisioningPolicy etc..

So, you have to make a transport rule to do the limit..

• Top 500 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)