No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Getting error 0X8004011D when trying to update and connect outlook with other computers in office

• 3 Followers
  • 17 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

We have 3 computers connecting to each other in the office. Running Windows XP and I think its Outlook 2003. The last time we were able to update was March 9th. Wondering if daylight savings had anything to do with it? Whenever we try to update and connect to the servers we get that error number.

I am not super smart when it comes to computers but I know enough to usually be able to fix something with someone giving me some good step by step direction.

Anything else that is needed to know how to help I will be sure to provide, just not sure what is needed.

Please help

• Post Points: 80
All Replies
  • In addition to an Internet connection and an installed copy of Outlook, Outlook Connector has one other requirement. Accounts must be updated to the new Windows Live Hotmail.

To update your account, follow one of these procedures, and then try to connect by using Outlook Connector:

• Visit http://get.live.com/bgg  

Visit the following Microsoft Web site, sign in by using your Windows Live ID and password, and then click the green Join Windows Live Hotmail button in the upper-left corner:  

http://www.hotmail.com

3 If you still have trouble in connecting, please restart Outlook. If this does not resolve the issue, contact Microsoft. To provide your feedback, visit support.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
  • In addition to an Internet connection and an installed copy of Outlook, Outlook Connector has one other requirement. Accounts must be updated to the new Windows Live Hotmail. To update your account, follow one of these procedures, and then try to connect by using Outlook Connector:please visit website: http://get.live.com/bgg .

If you continue to have trouble connecting, restart Outlook.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

Thanks for Julia’s efforts.

Currently, support for Outlook 2003 in Office 365 is only available to the POP3 and IMAP4 protocols.

To connect to an Exchange Online mailbox by using POP3 or IMAP with Outlook 2003, you can follow these steps:

1.   Open Outlook.

The E-mail Accounts wizard appears the first time that you open Outlook. If the E-mail Accounts wizard doesn’t appear when you first open Outlook, follow these steps:
    a.  On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
    b.  In the E-mail Accounts wizard, select Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.

2.  On the Server Type page, make sure that either POP3 or IMAP is selected, and then click Next.

3.  On the Internet E-mail Settings page, follow these steps:
    a.  Under User Information, enter the following information:
    • In the Your Name box, enter the name that you want users to see when you send mail from this account.
    • In the E-mail Address box, enter your email address.

b.  Under Server Information, enter the following information:
    • Under Account Type, select IMAP or POP3. Consider using IMAP.
    • In the Incoming mail server box, enter the IMAP or POP server name. For information about how to find your incoming POP3 or IMAP4 server name, see the "How do I find the server settings?" section of the following Microsoft website: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exchangelabshelp/cc511385 .

• In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box, enter the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server name. For information about how to find your outgoing SMTP server name, see the "How do I find the server settings?" section of the following Microsoft website: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exchangelabshelp/cc511385 .

c.  Under Logon Information, enter the following information:
    • In the User Name box, enter your email address.
    • In the Password box, enter your password. If you want Outlook to remember your password, make sure that the Remember password check box is selected.

4.  In the lower-right area of the page, click More Settings, and then in Internet E-Mail Settings dialog box, follow these steps:
    a.  On the Outgoing Server tab, click to select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box.
    b.  On the Advanced tab, follow these steps:
    1.  Under Incoming server (IMAP) or under Incoming server (POP3), click to select the This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) check box.
    2.  Under Outgoing server (SMTP), click to select the This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) check box.
    3.  If you are using POP3 and you want to keep a copy of your messages on the server, under Delivery, click the Leave a copy of messages on the server check box. If you don't select this option, all messages are removed from the server and stored locally on your computer.

c.  Click OK.

5.  Click Next.

6.  On the Congratulations page, click Finish, and then exit the wizard.

7.  If you are using IMAP4, a message may be displayed that asks whether you want to download folders for the mail server that you added. Click Yes. Use the Outlook 2003 user interface to select the folders to synchronize between the server and your local computer, and then click OK.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Top 10 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • I thank you for the detail and well written response. I was able to follow every step and did as you recommended and set up the account using IMAP. The set up worked but it didnt fix my problem. I am still unable to update the outlook folder. (Calendar and Contacts). We have 3 computers that are linked together. I havent been able to update the calendar and contact info since March 9th. Is there something simple I have to do now that I set up the new IMAP account to be able to have outlook's contacts and calendar to update and share the info between the computers? I still got the error 0X8004011D when trying to update.

Thanks

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, please provide the detailed version of Outlook you are using.

1. Start Outlook.
    2. On the Help menu, click About Microsoft Office Outlook.
    3. Verify the version information and the build number to determine the version of Outlook that is installed on your computer.

Then you can get the version of Outlook. Please capture a screenshot of the Outlook version and post it in the forum.

In addition, please also capture the screenshot of the error message appears and provide the detailed information about the “update” you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Its outlook 2003. I figured out the problem. With all the questions I have asked over the past week you would think all I needed to be told was that the calendar and contact list doesnt work with outlook 2003. Only 2007 and 2010.

So I bought Office Pro 2010 for the office. Now I need to install that on the 3 connectting computers. I only have one disk and activation code but since the 3 computers are connecting to a host machine is this possbile to get outlook on all 3?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

I understand that you prefer to install Outlook 2010 to fix the issue. Each licensed user can install Office Professional Plus on up to 5 computers. For the detailed information, you can refer the following website:
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/office/office-professional-plus-faq.aspx

If there is any progress with this issue, please post it in the forum.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Top 10 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Went out and bought Office Pro 2010 for the office just to upgrade to outlook 2010 just to fix this problem and were STILL getting the same error (0X8004011D) whenever I try to update the folders. What is going on now?

This set up talking to you guys only once a day isnt helping either.

• Not Ranked
  • I want to sum this up again. I am not currently using outlook 2010. I work in a law office. We have 3 computers connected to each other using microsoft exchange. Within outlook on a hourly basis we use contacts and the calendar feature. Every new client we get in daily goes into contacts and every hearing date goes into the calendar, again, we use this daily, for busy office.

When one computer enters a new client into contacts or a new hearing date into the calenadar, we then each "update" the folder within outlook and once all the computers do what used to be a quick and easy task, all the computers would have the same info shared between them. But ever since March 9th we HAVE NOT be able to update outlook. Everytime we try we get the error 0X8004011D message saying it can not connect to the microsoft exchange servers.

So again, emails dont matter. We dont use that thourgh outlook. What we do us is contacts and the calendar and right now we cant update each computer to have the same info shared of the 3 or even microsoft outlook 365 online.

• Not Ranked
  • Another thing. I read on a couple other sites that all I need to do is restart the microsoft exchange servers or at least try to do that in order to fix the problem. Well when I look to restart it, its not even running. I cant find anything on my computer in regards to microsoft exchange. Only microsoft online services which I can sign into no problem as well as microsoft 365.

Not sure if that means anything, just getting fustrated about only getting responses once a day at 3am. Trying to get all the info I could think you would need. A phone number would be nice...

• Not Ranked
  • Here are some screen Caps
    • Not Ranked
  • One
    • Not Ranked
  • Outlook Info
    • Not Ranked
  • I followed the steps to connect outlook 2010 to microsoft 365. It looks like it only connected the email adress though, I still keep getting the same error when I try to update the folder. I took 2 screen caps of the out connection status in case you need to see this too. Again not sure if you  need this but I dont want to waste a day waiting for this to get fixed since you only respond to this in the mornings.
    • Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1|2|