No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Problem connecting email to Outlook

• 4 Followers
  • 19 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

I am trying to connect my new Office365 email account to Outlook 2010 and keep getting the error message "the account you added is not fully configured, it might not work properly until correctly configured."

My question is - how do I get it correctly configured??

Any assistance would be welcomed - many thanks, Phil.

• Post Points: 65
All Replies
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting here.
    Based on your description, it seems that the new Office 365 Exchange Online account has not been configured well. Therefore, would you please confirm the following information about the account?
    1. The suffix of the e-mail account is using the default onmicrosoft.com domain or your custom domain.
    If it is a custom domain, please check if the required DNS records for Exchange Online have been created.
    In Office 365, on the Domains page, click the domain, and then, on the Domain properties page, click troubleshoot domain, and choose I changed the settings at my provider more than 72 hours ago.

2. If the required records are correctly created, please create a new Outlook mail profile and then add the account to Outlook again by following the step-by-step instructions provided in the article below:
    Set up E-mail in Outlook 2010:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd253202.aspx

If this issue persists, would you please provide your domain name with a private message and post a screenshot of your situation here for further troubleshooting? To request the domain name, I have sent a private message with a subject of < Problem connecting email to Outlook >.
    To access the private message:
    -Go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    -Click Private messages.
    -Click the subject title of the response to read the message

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Phil,

I just have configured my Office 365 mail account into Outlook 2010 using below steps in this article: help.outlook.com/.../dd253202.aspx And mine is working fine now. Maybe you can check it out.

Open Outlook 2010. If the Microsoft Outlook 2010 Startup wizard displays automatically, on the first page of the wizard, click Next. Then, on the E-mail Accounts page of the wizard, click Next again to set up an e-mail account.

If the Microsoft Outlook 2010 Startup wizard doesn't appear, on the Outlook 2010 toolbar, click the File tab. Then, just above the Account Settings button, click Add Account.

2. On the Auto Account Setup page, Outlook may try to automatically fill in the Your Name and E-mail Address settings based on how you're logged on to your computer. If the settings are filled in and they're correct, click Next to have Outlook finish setting up your account.

If the settings on the Auto Account Setup page aren't filled in or aren't correct, consider the following as you correct the settings:

If the settings on the Auto Account Setup page aren't filled in for you, type the correct settings based on the information that was provided to you by the person who manages your e-mail account.

If the name in the Your Name box isn't correct, you may need to reset the options on the Auto Account Setup page before you can edit your name. To reset the options, click the option button next to Manually configure server settings or additional server types, and then click the option button next to E-Mail Account.

3. After you click Next on the Auto Account Setup page of the wizard, Outlook will perform an online search to find your e-mail server settings. You'll be prompted to enter your user name and password during this search. Make sure that you enter your full e-mail address (for example, tony@contoso.com) as your user name.

If Outlook is able to set up your account, you'll see the following text: Your e-mail account is successfully configured. Click Finish.

Bella

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Bella - thanks  for  your reply, but I've already followed all the steps suggested above without success. I then tried setting up the mail profile separately in Control Panel, then going back and following the steps above. This seemed to work but the problem now seems to be that Outlook 2010 will not connect with the Exchange server. It also asks me if I want to add a Hotmail account (which I do as I want to add my OLSB account) but then after I click 'OK' nothing happens...I've checked that the Outlook Hotmail Connector is installed, before you ask.

Any ideas what I can do next??

Thanks, Phil

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Phil,

I am a little confusion. What’s the meaning of “seemed to work but the problem now seems to be that Outlook 2010 will not connect with the Exchange server”? (It shouldn't work if outlook can't connect to server right?)

To the Hotmail account problem, you may try to add the account manually. 

Best regards,
    Alex Du

• Top 75 Contributor
  • Hi Alex

I set up the mail profile from 'control panel' and then was able to add my Office365 mailbox to Outlook. When I open Outlook now my Office365 mailbox appears in the left pane and the inbox contains messages received while Outlook was closed down. However, Outlook still won't connect to the exchange server while it is open - the status bar at the bottom says "disconnected" and when I try to send/receive I get the error message - "sending reported error 0x80040115 - The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action".

Also, to the hotmail problem - I've tried adding the account manually and it fails each time. I've tried manually configuuring the server settings and Outlook successfully sends the test emails but still won't set up the mailbox!

Regards

Phil

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Phil,

The issue was a little strange. It may be caused by network connectivity problem. Please follow the action plan below to narrow down the issue.

1. Did OWA work fine?
    2. Did the issue occur on other computers or another network environment?
    3. Please capture a screenshot for the error message and post here.

Best regards,
    Alex Du

• Top 75 Contributor
  • Hi Alex - thanks for your response, the answers to your questions are:

1. OWA is working just fine

2. I only have one computer which is the one Outlook 2010 is installed on, but I have tried connecting while on 3 different wi-fi networks in different locations and get the same error

3. I've attached the screenshot of the error message.

In addition to the above every time I open Outlook 2010 I get the message "your mailbox is currently being optimized. Performance may be affected while this one-time optimization is in progress", however, when this 'optimization has finished, Outlook will still not connect to Office365.

Hope you can help! Thanks, Phil

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for your update and continuing cooperation.
    As OWA is working fine, the issue should be happened on client-side. To help us narrow down the issue, would you please perform the steps below to see if any improvement
    1. Repair the OST file.
    a. In Outlook 2010, on the File tab, click the arrow next to Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.
    b. In the Account Settings dialog box, on the E-mail tab, select your account, and then click Repair. Follow any prompts from the repair wizard.
    c. When the repair is done, restart Outlook 2010

2. Turn off the Exchange Online cache mode, delete the OST file from user’s profile and turn on back

Is there any other person experiencing the same issue on your organization?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Grace

Thanks for your response - I've followed the steps above, Outlook started up ok and has dowloaded the latest incoming messages while closed down and displays them. However it now says "working offline" and when I try to "send/receive" I get the error message "Sending reported error (0x80004005) : 'the operation failed'".

I am the only user of the system.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Phil

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for your update.
    As the current error message is “Sending reported error (0x80004005): the operation failed”, I would like to know if you are using Norton AntiVirus with the script blocking feature enabled.
    If it is true, please disable script blocking in Norton AntiVirus and disable new-mail notification in Outlook and see if any improvement suggested in the official KB:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329936

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi Grace

No I don't use Norton Anti-Virus so I don't think this is causing the problem. I have another error message which occurs while Outlook is open - I see a pop-up window with the message: "The file C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook Data File - Phil Sweet.ost is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file and then try again. You might need to restart your computer."

Does this help?

Thanks

Phil

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Grace

I've also attached a copy of my local Outlook File folder - C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook in case this helps you to see what the problem may be:

Let me know if this helps.

Many thanks

Phil

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.
    From the pop-up message, it should be that another application is using the local OST file. For example, an Anti-Virus application is scanning the file.

Would you please close client Outlook, exit the Anti-Virus application and then open Outlook again, to see if the issue persists?
    If the issue disappears, please add the local OST file to the Anti-Virus application’s whitelist and check if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Grace - thanks very much for your continued help with this... I tried what you suggested but it hasn't made any difference. I'm very confused though as Outlook seems to be behaving differently each day! I opened it this morning and it has received email messages from the Exchange server since yesterday, also I added Calendar items in OWA and these have been carried across to the Outlook calendar. However, Outlook will still not send any messages and appears to be offline (not connected to the Exchange server) while it is open. Sometimes when I try to open Outlook I still get the message that "Cannot open default mail folders..." also every time it opens it says "your mailbox is currently being optimized. Performance may be affected while this one-time optimization is in progress".

I'm getting very frustrated!

Look forward to any help you can suggest!

Many thanks - Phil

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1|2|