Selecting Messages & Move To in Outlook Web App

• This post has 6 Replies |
  • 5 Followers
  • As a Office Live Small Business customer, Hotmail provides a quick way to select all the messages in the current view and move those messages to a specific folder.  In Outlook Web App, there is no apparent way to select all messages, you have to click on each message individually.  Also, the Move To menu item does not present a list of folders to move to...instead you have click on a menu item which launches a popup window.  Hotmail is more streamlined and productive in this regard.  Please enhance Outlook Web App with these optimizations.

0 out of 5 people found this post helpful.

• Quote...As a Office Live Small Business customer, Hotmail provides a quick way to select all the messages in the current view and move those messages to a specific folder.  In Outlook Web App, there is no apparent way to select all messages, you have to click on each message individually

JohnCZ  I think you will find holding the CTRL "for singular" or Shift "for multiple" buttons down provides an ample means of selecting single and multiple messages at a time while clicking the mouse button.  You can also use the space bar and arrow keys while holding down the SHIFT if you don't have a mouse.  

Also once you have those messages selected you can Right click on the messages which will open a selection box one of these options is to move the messages to another folder.

Another option that you may find helpful especially if your always moving messages to a folder for organization is to use the Rules function.   One of many ways to setup a rule is to Right click on an email that you would like to set a rule for, follow the screens selections and soon all of those emails will be in their own folder automatically.

Quote ... Also, the Move To menu item does not present a list of folders to move to...instead you have click on a menu item which launches a popup window.  Hotmail is more streamlined and productive in this regard.  Please enhance Outlook Web App with these optimizations.

JohnCZ  The popup does allows you to easily select the new folder destination. You can also select the emails you want to move as I have stated above and drag and drop the emails to the new folder.

With the above advance features of Outlook Web Access and Outlook the multiple check box functionality found in web based email is not needed

• Hi David, I do use rules in Hotmail and in Office 365 Beta to minimize the need for reorganizing.  The Move To is the least of the two issues.  I just think there needs to be a quick way to select all messages.  Currently you have to hold the shift key as you stated, select the first message, then scroll down and select the last message.  Too many steps in my opinion.

• OWA allows Shift+ [Home], [End], [PgUp], [PgDn], and [Del] to select and delete items as you would in Outlook.

Also, when you move selected items to a folder by drag-n-drop it populates the "move to" dropdown with these destinations.

I believe this also worked with OWA and OWA light 2007

• That helps for now.  I was thinking about getting a ultraportable Convertible/Slate PC.  Because they mostly run on netbook hardware I'm thinking I would just run OWA.  Thats why I want direct ways to multiselect, print and view message without a lot of mouse/keyboard interaction or popup windows.

• @David,

Why don't you give a straight answer about "Select All" functionality? First thing you should have said is "Unfortunately OWA currently does not support SelectAll functionality" .. You can continue your help with "However, you can do xyz ....".

• Unfortunately, one seems to only be able to do the CNTL-Shift trick for a limited number of messages (the max I have been able to manage is about 50).  If you want to select hundreds of messages, it doesn't appear to work.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)