No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Change password in outlook 2010

• 4 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
Ms 365 required me to change password today. (frustrating, but I've worked thought that). Now I need to change the password on my laptop "hard copy" of outlook 2010. I have searched everywhere and cannot figure out how to make this update. Can anyone help me? I'm sure it is simple once you know where to look. Thanks!! M
  • Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
  • Hello HMalloryC,

Before going further, I would like to confirm the current situation. 
    You have changed your Office 365 account password today. However, Outlook 2010 are still using old password to connect your Office 365 account. Is it correct?
    In addition, which operation system are you using, such as Windows XP or Windows 7?

If so, it may take some time (about couple hours) for Outlook 2010 to prompt typing the new password.
    Please wait for a while, and restart Outlook 2010 to type the new password when Outlook is connecting Exchange Online server.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hello HMalloryC,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Thanks!

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • I am not quite as understanding as "M". One of my users was prompted about a week ago to change the password. I checked and checked and could not find ANY options to control when or how to change passwords as the account admin in Office365. I can reset the passwrod but the user does not have an option to change their own password from what I can see. The reste-only options is not what I want but I supposed I can work with it.

The real problem is that An hour ago, when I logged into Outlook 2010, I was told my password was expired and I had to go to a web page to change it. I had NEVER received any prior notifications via e-mail nor in my notifications area. I changed the password (which is annoying, I should control when this occurs) and now I can't get into Outlook at all, only the web app as there is no option to update ro change the Outlook sign-in password via Outlook nor the mail option in Control panel.

The response to this question says we might have to wait up to 2 hours. That is absolutely unacceptable!! We need our Outlook e-mail (not the web app) and we need it to work immediately, not wait 2 hours for an Exchange update. This is a critical issue that must be resolved and furthermore, the Office 365 admins MUST have the ability to control passwords (expiration, change, immediately change the associated Exchange account in Outlook 2010) without these delays.

Thus far, I enjoy what Office 365 offers. I appreciate the interface is designed to make it easy, especially for non-technical users but honestly, some of the admin features are just aggravating and useless. I also get messages that one or more of my users doesn't have an Exchange license but when I create a non-licensed view as is suggested, it says al my licenses and users are correct. When I check individual users, they all have licenses as well. This is frustratig and wastes my time trying to track down issues that don't really exist. PLEASE fixc the Exhcange/Outloo password issues as this is critical to business. The way it is now with a 2 hour delay is just unacceptable. Thank you. -Erin

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • Hello Erin,

Thanks for posting here.

For the concern about non-administrator users cannot change their password themselves:
    You may suggest them refer to the following article to change their password on their own.
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/Office365-smallbusinesses/ff637529.aspx

In addition, as for other concerns, such as delay caused by password change and the message about the Exchange Online licenses, I sincerely suggest post detailed information about the specific issue, such as some screenshots, in a new thread in the forum specially. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks for understanding,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Can i just add to Erin's comments.  Whichever joker at Microsoft designed this new process should be taken out and shot. On the previous BPOS system got several days of warnings before passwrod expired. Nobody told us this was no longer the case so when the 90 day period expored over the weekend we all came in this morning and couldn't understand why local version of Outlook 2010 could not connect.  WHAT POSSIBLE SENSE IS THERE IN STOPPING THE AUTOMATED REMINDERS pre expiry ???

Then to actually amend the password was a gargantuan task: administrator creates temporary password - local user log into web access (something we never normally use in the office) using temp password > forced to amend to a perm password > have to enter this 3 times  >then go to local Outlook and wait for the pop up to apepar to say not got right password then enter the new password - then close local outlook and reopen to ensure password setting has been remembered.  

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Richardrunner,

Thanks for posting here.

I understand that password expiration notification doesn’t show at Outlook. You may refer to the following article for reference.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/lystavlen/archive/2012/05/07/password-expiration-notice-in-outlook.aspx

Moreover, you may also refer to the following article to let end users change their password.
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/ff637529.aspx

In addition, if you need other assistance about using Office 365 in the future, I sincerely suggest post it in a new thread in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)