No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cannot Get Mail, Calendar, Contact in Outlook Web App

• 3 Followers
  • 13 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hello

I can not get mail to the "outlook" section of my O365. I can not see my emails, contacts, calendars, task, etc. I am currently testing O365 p1.

The Only DNS record that i am missing in my yahoo server is the MX Record. I was told by the yahoo tech support that the current MX record format in O365 is not suitable for yahoo and I should talk to Microsoft office 365 tech support to get a proper MX record for yahoo. Can someone help me?

Thanks

Hugo Martin

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hi Hugo Martin,

According to your description, it sounds that you have changed the name servers of your domain to Office 365, is it right? At this point, if you would like to get mail to your Office 365 mailbox, please Change your email address to your own custom domain name. After that, you should be able to receive emails in the "outlook" section of Office 365.

After changing name server to Office 365, all the previous DNS records(including the MX record to the yahoo server) will lose effect. If you want to keep the MX record, it is needed to change the name server records of your domain back to the original registrar. Anyway, one custom domain can only be used for one mail flow, either Office 365, or yahoo mail service.

Here is a wiki article which includes many resources about using domain in Office 365 for your reference: Domains in Office 365.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi Reken,

I have not changed the name servers of my domain to O365 yet. My domain name is verified with O365. I hosted my website with Yahoo which does not offer an IP address.  Also I tried to add a MX record in yahoo with the following format "xxxxxx01c.mail.eo.outlook.com" and I was told by yahoo that i need it a proper MX suitable for yahoo servers.

Help me with the following questions:

1.- I Want to keep my website under yahoo servers and let O365 manage all my email, task, calendar, etc (all communicaton), how do I do that?

2.- Do I need to create a MX record in yahoo server? If so, the format under my O365 dns records "xxxxxx01c.mail.eo.outlook.com" does not work with yahoo, I need a more suitable format, what would that be?

3.- Once Outlook web app is up and running, which are the setting for my iphone?

Thanks,

Hugo Martin

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Hugo Martin,

Thanks for the clarification. Based on the situation, there are two methods to achieve your requirements:

Solution 1:

Change the name servers of your domain to Office 365 name servers. For this solution, you need to contact Yahoo and explain that you need your IP address to create an A record to route customers to your website. After you get the IP address, create an A record in Office 365 DNS manager to point to your Yahoo website. For the detailed steps, please see Update DNS records to keep your website with your current hosting provider.  

Solution 2:

Keep your domain in Yahoo, and contact Yahoo to create the MX record and other necessary DNS records for you. To check the necessary DNS records in Office 365, please refer to Add your domain to Office 365 without redirecting your name server records to Office 365.

After email is up and running, you can set up your iPhone with the Mobile Phone Setup Wizard.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • You're better off not changing nameservers. I've done this but not with Yahoo - if I recall the MX record was:

domain-com.mail.eo.outlook.com

You should be able to check that here:

https://portal.microsoftonline.com/Domains/DomainEdit.aspx

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • I will check this link, and see where it takes me

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Reken,

Solution 1:

Yahoo does not provide an IP address or fully qualified domain name. I
    already tried this step and thats the answer I got from Yahoo tech support.

Solution 2:

Like I said before in my previous email, yahoo does not support the
    following format for MX records “
    domain-name01c.mail.eo.outlook.com
    (This format I found under my Office 365 DNS Records). I was told to contact
    O365 support and ask for a more proper MX record for yahoo.

So, here we go again with the same question I was asked in my previous
    email, I need a more suitable MX record format for yahoo, what would that be?
    “domain-name01c.mail.outlook.com do not work.

Also, I already know to the link “update DNS records to keep your website
    with your current hosting provider” or “add your domain to office 365 without
    redirecting your name server records to office 365” and those one does not help
    me when it comes to the MX record.

Thanks,

Hugo Martin

• Not Ranked
  • Mch,

Thats the place I took my MX record : domain-name01c.mail.eo.outlook.com I tried to add it in yahoo dns records but I was told by yahoo tech support that they do not support that format and i should get a more suitable format for yahoo! what would that be? not sure. Once I get this mx record in yahoo, everything will be good to go but until them, I am stuck with no mail, calendar, contact, etc. Help

Thanks

Hugo Martin

• Not Ranked
  • Reken,

Lets say that my domain name is: cars-free.com

One thing I noticed, under the DNS records for my Office 365 service, my domain name in the MX record looks diffrent:

MX          carsfree-com01c.mail.oe.outlook.com

Cname    sip.cars-free.com    sipddir.online.lync.com

Cname    lyndiscover.cars-free.com    webdir.online.lync.com

Cname    autodiscover.cars-free.com    autodiscover.outlook.com

why is that? why my MX record is not: "cars-free.com.mail.oe.outlook.com"? why is "carsfree-com01c.mail.oe.outlook.com" instead ? every other DNS record show "cars-free.com" but MX record

Hugo Martin

• Not Ranked
  • MX          carsfree-com01c.mail.oe.outlook.com 

Probably just a typo but "oe" should be "eo" (exchange online).

Don't know what the "01c" part is.

For carsfree.com it should be:

MX          carsfree-com.mail.eo.outlook.com

If that doesn't work you'll have to wait for MSFT to advise.

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Hugo Martin,

If you have added and verified your domain in Office 365 correctly, the MX record should be the format Mch pointed.

Based on the situation, my recommendation is to remove this domain from Office 365 and re-add it to your account, and the MX record will be re-created during this process. After that, see if the MX format is normal.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hello Reken,

1.- This is what I get when trying to remove my domain from O365: We can't remove the cars-free.com domain because of one or more of the following issues:

•                     There are user accounts associated with this domain.
    •                     There are email or Microsoft Lync Online accounts using this domain

what do I do now? please explain step by step, the more detail i have the more time I have to test Office 365 (i only have 13 days left for my trial to end)

2.- Once my domain is removed, can I add it right away? or do I have to wait certain time?

3.- Do I have to remove the DNS records created already on my yahoo server also?

Thanks,

Hugo Martin

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Hugo Martin,

Question 1:

Before you remove a domain from Office 365, it is needed to remove all the users, groups, or contacts associated with this domain. There is a video for Troubleshooting Removing Domains in Office 365 for your reference. More detailed steps can be found in Remove a domain.

Question 2:

Once you have removed a domain successfully, you can add and verify it immediately.

Question 3:

It's not needed to remove the DNS records on Yahoo server, however, you should create new TXT or MX record for the domain verification. The previous TXT or MX record used for verification can be deleted.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Hugo Martin,

How are things going? Is the MX record format normal now?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)