sudden influx of spam that all looks similar.

This question is answered This question is answered

Someone has found an easy way through Microsoft's spam filters?

Since yesterday I am getting loads of spam that all has the same layout/format, and similar  unsubscribe links.

They look like this:

"

-------- Start Notice #6805624 --------------

Surface Protect Plus Summer Savings

Attn: (email address that might have come from domain WHOIS).

Don't let rain and the coming snow ruin your deck and garage.

Summer is the time to protect your garage and wood floors.

Amazing deal for homeowners looking to preserve their deck and garage surfaces.

Go Here Now to Protect Your Floors for Years and Years: http://order.woodsurface.com

--------------- End Notice ----------------

Manage_your_preferences: http://hold.woodsurface.com

PO Box: #19258

Falterstrasse., 12 97318--Kitzingen., Germany.

<vervolgens>

<mismos>

<tekniske>

<indipendente>

<dank>

<inclut>

<criterios>

<dominos>

<celebrate>

<tiver>

4571b784bf31fbfdef083e1c22013bb6"

Verified Answer
  • Hi All,

The Service Incident has been restored. Please check the closure summary below.
    ==================================================================
    On Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 5:00 PM UTC, Microsoft engineers received reports of an issue in which some customers were receiving unsolicited email from unknown senders. The investigation determined that a higher than normal amount of email traffic caused some of the unwanted email to successfully bypass spam filters. Engineers implemented a fix which restricted these unknown senders from sending email to Office 365. Unwanted email received prior to fix implementation will have to manually be deleted. The issue was successfully fixed on Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 7:57 PM UTC. A post-incident report will be available on the Service Health Dashboard within five business days.

If the issue still exists in your organization, please post back.

@Carl, please check on your end whether you are still having this issue.

Thanks,
    Yang Yu

All Replies
  • another:

"

Vehicle Owner:  (email@address.com)

The Average Auto Policy in the US is $15.40/week.

Are you Over-paying?

Shop and Compare.  Get Competitive Quotes from Top National Providers like Allstate, Geico, State Farm and more.

Find Me Lower Cost Auto Insurance:  http://save.star-auto-ins.com

(to view this message in your browser, use the link above)

SnappyAutoInsurance 

Agent No. 7419362

To be removed, please write us at SnappyAutoInsurance, PO Box 45932, Boca Raton, Florida - 33428 or go here:  http://endnow.star-auto-ins.com

<Rosh>

<VENUE>

<interesada>

<Frio>

<Radiohead>

<ficheros>

<membership>

<lonesome>

<0Fchannel>

• and one more, just to paint a picture of how they all have the same layout.

As it happens, they are all emailing to an address that I have only ever really used for domain registrations. I have just temporarily removed this alias from my email addresses, but I will no doubt have customers querying the same influx of spam.

Somebody has definitely found a way through the filters, and they're abusing it big time.

"

Homeowner:  (email@address.com)

Whether you're just starting to research siding options or need to hire a siding pro right away . . .

Find siding experts who can help you with Vinyl Siding, Stoneface, Brickface, Stucco, and Exterior House Painting projects.

And work within your budget.

Get Multiple Instant Quotes so I can Save More on My Siding Project:  http://getitnow.easy-vinylsiding.com

((To view this message in your browser, use the link above.))

Prefer not to receive future marketing messages from us?, go here:  http://halt.easy-vinylsiding.com

Tregawne, Wadebridge,PL27 6SB, 08457-877877

<readonly>

<difesa>

<submitted>

<aufsichtsrats>

<respons>

<betaald>

<buon>

<redactie>

<delayed>

<disponible>

• I'm also receiving more "other spam" (raybans, pharmacy) than usual, although this might be because I bought some car diagnostic equipment from AliExpress.

Or, are the spam filters just totally broken these past two days?

• I have noticed the same - increase in spam and phishing emails making it into my Inbox. It seems like the Office 365 spam filters have stopped working.

• We are seeing the same thing.  At first I thought I found some common settings in the reverse dns ip but now it is not the case.  We are receiving a large amount of this type of spam now.

• We are having the same issue.

• I'm pleased to hear it's a common issue and hope the admins will take a closer look at the back end. I haven't had any users complaining yet which is surprising (I have moved a handful of customers to o365/exchange online), but I personally am very protective of my email address privacy and noticed a big change right away yesterday and today.

I'm sure I will have customers getting on to me about it very soon!

• I opened a case and got a call back that this issue is being reported by many other customers too and that engineers are investigating the issue.

• Thanks dagoodyear!

• Hi All,

We have noticed the issue that some users are receiving a lot of spam. According to the latest report released by Microsoft, the incident ID of this issue is EX9238 and FO9237.

Here is the latest information we get about this issue:
    ==============================================
    Current Status: Engineers are examining data from affected customers to determine root cause.

Customer Impact: Affected customers are receiving unsolicited email from unknown senders.

Incident Start Time: Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 5:00 PM UTC

Next Update: Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 8:00 PM UTC
    ==============================================

We will continue to update the related information here. Really sorry for the inconvenience it causes and thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,
    Richard Ji

• Thank you. Only thing I would add is that the actual problem started yesterday (Monday 6th, around lunchtime in the UK).

• Hi All,

Here is the latest update:

=============================================
    Current Status: Engineers have implemented a fix and are currently monitoring service health.

Customer Impact: Affected customers are receiving unsolicited email from unknown senders.

Incident Start Time: Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 5:00 PM UTC

Next Update: Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 9:30 PM UTC
    =============================================

Thanks,
    Richard

• Hi All,

The Service Incident has been restored. Please check the closure summary below.
    On Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 5:00 PM UTC, Microsoft engineers received reports of an issue in which some customers were receiving unsolicited email from unknown senders. The investigation determined that a higher than normal amount of email traffic caused some of the unwanted email to successfully bypass spam filters. Engineers implemented a fix which restricted these unknown senders from sending email to Office 365. Unwanted email received prior to fix implementation will have to manually be deleted. The issue was successfully fixed on Thursday, August 7, 2014, at 7:57 PM UTC. A post-incident report will be available on the Service Health Dashboard within five business days.

If the issue still exists in your organization, please post back.

@Carl, please check on your end whether you are still having this issue.

Thanks,
    Yang Yu

• It's been a few days now and it has stopped, so thank you!