No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

using a cname or a record to pint to office 365?

• 3 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Someone who still has BPOS has told me that they are using a cname record to point mail.company.com to the red001 address and its working.  My question is if we migrated a client from premise to hosted office 365 mail, is there a way using a dns record to point there mail.company.com address to an address at 365 that wouldn't change?  I asked someone at the 365 help desk if I could point an A record to an IP address at the 365 server and he said I could but the IP address would change and then break everything.  If the only way to do it is by re-pointing every workstation and every phone to the new 365 server please let me know, but if there is an easier alternative to this please let me know ASAP.  

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hello,

The following Wiki talks about simplifying the OWA URL with a CNAME redirect. I know this is geared towards coexistance but you cna use the same methodology even if you do not have a hybrid configuration.

-Timothy Heeney (MSFT)

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • hey tim what wiki?  Also Im looking to do a cutover exchange migration without having to touch 300 workstations and phones and ipads,  is what im thinking possible with 365 or is the long hard way the only way to do it?  Alos pointing to the portal address wouldnt really help because every mailbox in 365 has its own client access address, no outlook is connecting through the portal address its always something like CH1PRD0813.mailbox.outlook.com

• Not Ranked
  • Sorry forgot to add the link community.office365.com/.../simplify-the-owa-url-for-office-365-hybrid.aspx

for the users experience for a cutover migration they would have to manipulate the profile to  connect to the correct endpoint, they can use autodiscover for this though. There are quite a few articles that discuss connecting to Exchange for each of the clients. Just do a quick search on the client type and Office 365 and you  will find the procedure. With Autodiscover configured they would not need to know the pod address.

-Timothy Heeney (MSFT)

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Ok i think you just answered the question when you said the users would "they would have to manipulate the profile to  connect to the correct endpoint"  that means to me that every workstation and every smartphone would need to be touched, im trying to avoid that.  As for the autodiscover record being in godaddy or whoever the domain register is,  that still entails setting up a new account in outlook.  I need outlook to point to the same settings it has right now like mail.company.com  but connect to the 365 server without touching the workstation with a redirect in external DNS.  

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Joleary,

Thanks for the information Timothy provided.

Do you want to migrate the mailbox hosting on the on-premises Exchange server to Office 365 seamlessly (without creating new profile on end users' computer)? 

If so, based on the current situation, Exchange Hybrid Deployment may achieve your requirement.
    For detailed information about Exchange Hybrid Deployment in Office 365:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff633682.aspx

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • OK I dont want a hybrid deployment, i need to perform an exchange cutover migration where the 365 server is the only server after the migration.  is there any way to do this?  or if someone want to cutover from premise to cloud "COMPLETLY" no HYBRID.  I need to reconfigure every workstation

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Joleary,

Creating new profile to connect the Office 365 accounts in clients’ Outlook is highly recommended after the Cutover migration, because that not only the Exchange server name but also many other preferences will change after Cutover migration. 

Overall, if you decide using cutover migration, please create new profiles to connect the Office 365 accounts on clients’ Outlook and mobile devices after the migration.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.useoutlookanywhere.aspx
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd936215.aspx  

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hello Joleary,

How are the things going?
    Moreover, do you need other assistance?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor