Outlook keeps asking for a user name and pasword

• 7 Followers
  • 15 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I have a customer with Office 2007 with Vista.

Setup him up yesterday for Office 365.  I was able to sucessfully export his email to a PST file from the local Exchange server and then import it into Office 365.

I created a new MAPI profile that only has Office 365 in it and he uses that to start Outlook up automatically without asking.

However, Outlook continues (repeatedly to a huge annoyance) to ask for a password (for the OLD Exchange server).  I can't find any reason why....  I checked Credential manager - no old credentials. 

I've had this on a number of other occassions and finally decided to ask to see if anyone had an inklink about it.

Many thanks.

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • I haved the same problem to 10 computers. The solution for me is :

1. backup and clear the directory C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

2. go to control panel -> email and repear the account. (at password prompt, click to save the password)

3. open the outlook.  

-or-

2. go to control panel -> email and delete old account and mailbox

3. go to control panel and create new mailbox and account.(at password prompt, click to save the password)

4. open the outlook.  

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • It took me a while to track that one down! I wrote an article about persistent prompts for the new server (www.brucebnews.com/.../persistent-outlook-password-prompts-from-office-365) but it was someone's comment there that led me to the source of prompts for the old RED001 server.

It turns out there is an old entry in the Outlook configuration xml file. Try this:

1. Open: “C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Sign In\Config\\”

2. Rename or delete the file: “outlook-autodiscovery.xml” to: “outlook-autodiscovery.xml.old”

It's worked for me. Good luck.

Bruce Berls

http://www.brucebnews.com

• Not Ranked
  • Hello The Conman,

Can the problem be fixed with Bruce's suggestion ? If you need additional assistance please let us know. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • We did a search for the XML file - it wasn't there according to the customer.

Outlook is not prompting for Office 365 credentials.  That part is working great!  

It is, however, prompting for the old SBS2003 credentials repeatedly.

We've looked through credential manager and don't see anything there for the old SBS server credentials.  We've deleted and re-created the Outlook profile and account and are still being prompted for the SBS 2003 credentials. :(

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hello The Conman,

Do you mean that this problem reoccurs even if you re-create a new Outlook profile? Does this problem happen to other users?

For this situation, to narrow down the problem, I suggest you try the following test and check what happens.

1. Logon to the client computer locally (don’t log into doamin) and check if the problem reoccurs.

2. Re-install the Office application on the problematic client computer and try again.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Yes, Jack.  This is occurring for a few other users too (not all - just some even if I delete and re-create the Outlook profile.

I will suggest to the customer re-installing Office and see if that will make a difference.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi The Conman,

Thanks for your information, and we are looking forward to your update on this issue.

What's more, I'd like to know whether you have tried to test the client computer locally (as Jack suggested)? If not, please kindly have a try, and let me know the result.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • I haved the same problem to 10 computers. The solution for me is :

1. backup and clear the directory C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

2. go to control panel -> email and repear the account. (at password prompt, click to save the password)

3. open the outlook.  

-or-

2. go to control panel -> email and delete old account and mailbox

3. go to control panel and create new mailbox and account.(at password prompt, click to save the password)

4. open the outlook.  

• Not Ranked
  • Hello The Conman,

Any update of the problem? Can things work well after you re-install the Office application?

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Did we get an answer to this problem.

We have the same problem here with connectivity to Office 365 working perfectly but are getting additional prompts to connect to an old remote server.

I have followed all the advice above but the problem has not gone away.

If I ignore the prompts Office 365 continues to work. If I cancel the login prompt it often places my Outlook into offline mode or asks for a password

So far this is happening on all the machine in this organization. I have tested this on both Windows 7 and Vista with the same results

• Not Ranked
  • We have exactly the same issue here and havent yet managed to resolve the issue. How did you get on with this problem?

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Kerry,

Which version of Outlook client you are using? Does the problem reoccur after creating a new Outlook profile for your mail account? Is there any error when testing Autoconfiguration from Outlook client?

To help you resolve this problem more effectively, I suggest you post a new thread in the forum and include the above information. Our SE will help you on the problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Evan Zhang MSFT Support

Hi The Conman,

Thanks for your information, and we are looking forward to your update on this issue.

What's more, I'd like to know whether you have tried to test the client computer locally (as Jack suggested)? If not, please kindly have a try, and let me know the result.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

Thank-you everyone.  I fed suggestions to the customer and one of them worked for him.  He didn't go into much detail other saying it's not doing that anymore.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Problem has been resolved. It was related to the autodiscovery service running on the exchange server and the way it was configured.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Kerry,

Thank you for your update and sharing the solution you found. I believe others will benefit from this information. If you have additional question when using Office 365, please feel free to post new questions in the forum. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1|2|